You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool Vs Celtic - 10/08/13 - Match thread

Much as it pains me to agree with Steve Nicol, the foundations of a team are built around a strong spine. I feel that we haven't had this since around the time Mascherano left. Lovely as the guy is, Lucas really is a weakness in the team. Not only is he not dynamic or mobile enough to play the role, other midfielders spend a lot of time and energy covering for him, and as such are reducing their own effectiveness. Let's see how he does when the season starts, but we cannot continue to expose this soft underbelly to the opposition.

I'm hoping that a CB pairing of Agger and Toure will give us sufficient experience and strength to be effective, and I have few issues with the attacking options available to us, apart from the obvious Suarez schism.

Johnson is one of the most overrated players we have ever had. Most of our fans think he's untouchable, I don't get it. I don't think he's very good & is a weak link. Enrique is one of the thickest players we've ever had, brainless. Any opposition would fancy there chances upon seeing these 2 names on our team sheet.

when co commentator steve nichol

Erm, there's no h in Nicol.

was asked where do you think lpool will finish this coming season, he said sixth or seventh, then he was asked what do we need to do to be in the top 4, he said we need to do what shankley did and go down the middle ie, decent centre forward, centre half and keeper, we may now have the keeper, but without the other 2 we will struggle, personally I think we have'nt even come close to replacing big sammy hyypia.

Fucking hell. Punch yourself in the bollocks by way of punishment.

Johnson is one of the most overrated players we have ever had. Most of our fans think he's untouchable, I don't get it. I don't think he's very good & is a weak link. Enrique is one of the thickest players we've ever had, brainless. Any opposition would fancy there chances upon seeing these 2 names on our team sheet.

I don't think anyone thinks he's untouchable. Everyone can see that he has weaknesses, but he fits well into Rodgers system because he gets up and down the line and links up well with the front three. Luckily we have Kelly, Wisdom and McLaughlin as alternates this season if his performances drop below par.

Johnson is a very good player. Not sold on Enrique but Johnson i'm happy with.

The problem with Johnson is he's prone to slumps of form where he's terrible. When he's good he's great tho. Last season's slump lasted far too long for my liking.

Give me Finnan or Jones any day of the week over him. Those were the days, when full backs were solid and dependable going forward and at the back.

The problem with Johnson is he's prone to slumps of form where he's terrible. When he's good he's great tho. Last season's slump lasted far too long for my liking.

Give me Finnan or Jones any day of the week over him. Those were the days, when full backs were solid and dependable going forward and at the back.

They were also the days where wide midfielders were expected to get to the byline, put crosses in, etc. Now that's the fullback's job.

They were also the days where wide midfielders were expected to get to the byline, put crosses in, etc. Now that's the fullback's job.

I know it's an outdated dream. There's still a few about like that now but they cost massive money. Even the top clubs in the world have defensively suspect full backs.

Our full-backs are the least of our worries. In fact, they are two of the best in the league imo, and there is anyway a current shortage of great full-backs out there in the world.

My biggest issue is we've got a midfield full of midgets, and without a hint of genuine winning attitude, that's going to get rolled over once again this season. As things stand, we still only got Gerrard and Suarez as proper attacking leaders. And, even Gerrard looked like he couldn't bothered by those around him at times last season, and I won't even begin to speculate about Suarez's attitude this season.

All style, no substance is what I believe we gonna see yet again this season.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I thought we were slow and ponderous and lacking ideas but having watched the highlights again we created a shit load of clear cut chances.

Yeah, we bossed the game. It was infuriating, but sometimes that happens. We were missing our two best attackers in the first half, and there wasn't much support for Aspas to perform as well as he has done previously. He looked leggy.

Second half was much better, but we'd already had that daft moment from Downing.