You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool Vs Celtic - 10/08/13 - Match thread

We faced the reserves of one decent side so far this pre-season and we were dire.

For all his talk Rodgers still can't rationalise his insistence to pick Allen before Henderson.

Overall this summer we needed to reinforce the defence, the midfield and the wings. We got a goalkeeper and shipped out Reina and two lads with limited experience in lower Spanish Leagues. Top 4 contenders my ass.

We faced the reserves of one decent side so far this pre-season and we were dire.

For all his talk Rodgers still can't rationalise his insistence to pick Allen before Henderson.

Overall this summer we needed to reinforce the defence, the midfield and the wings. We got a goalkeeper and shipped out Reina and two lads with limited experience in lower Spanish Leagues. Top 4 contenders my ass.

Celtic were classic sihithouse, so absolutely no credit is due.

But we took half a second longer on the ball, some of the passing was terrible and we couldn't get in behind Celtic because our fullbacks and wingers were poor.

Celtic won't get done 5-0, even Barca couldn't do that, they pack their central areas against good teams and run around a lot to deny any space in their third. But it does highlight our need to have another creative player in our attack, or a battering ram to base our attacks around, and that's why Eriksen and Benteke are my choices.

A good work out for the lads and really dominated the game playing some pretty footbll. But need to score goas too. Hopefully we'll get someone in this window regardless of what happens to the canibal. Couldn't score from a score of corners, that's something Rodgers has to pay attention to. Same old poblem.

Plenty of positives to take from that but I'm not sure we have found exactly the right combination yet. You can certainly see why Rodgers wants another goalscorer and a left back. Enrique is very unpredictable and I'm not sure that the midfield three of Lucas, Gerrard and Allen really works. I think Allen has played well this pre-season but I would rather see Henderson start against Stoke. He offers more in the way of goal threat and is just generally better in an advanced role. Allen seems more suited to playing from deep.

Oh, and I think Ibe may well have played himself into the team for the time being at least.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
We were not dire.

Not even close to dire, was it. I'd say we were a little jaded - maybe all the travel lately - because some of our best pre-season performers had off days, including Gerrard, Allen, Aspas, and even Coutinho for the first half.

Our finishing was ropey, but we created chance after chance. It wasn't like United last night, who were roundly battered. Aside from a fuck-up by Downing, it would have been a 0-0 draw, with us having missed a barrel load of chances. Shit happens.

I just hope we are a bit more clinical against Stoke.

But we took half a second longer on the ball, some of the passing was terrible and we couldn't get in behind Celtic because our fullbacks and wingers were poor.

Celtic won't get done 5-0, even Barca couldn't do that, they pack their central areas against good teams and run around a lot to deny any space in their third. But it does highlight our need to have another creative player in our attack, or a battering ram to base our attacks around, and that's why Eriksen and Benteke are my choices.

shut the fuck ye dozy cunt, analyzing a friendly to death.

You keep going on about Benteke but he has just signed a new deal at Villa he's going nowhere for a least the coming season.

You keep going on about Benteke but he has just signed a new deal at Villa he's going nowhere for a least the coming season.

On the contrary, all that means is that Benteke and his agent have already demanded more money, and Villa have adjusted accordingly. The 'contract' is not a problem, if Villa accept a bid then it's not like Benteke's going to say 'nope, I'm true to my contract, four more years'.

He's already hit eight goals in the last four pre season games for Villa, he's not a one season wonder, he's the real deal. He's even got dead eyes, like a fucking Mako shark with massive thighs.

Plenty of positives to take from that but I'm not sure we have found exactly the right combination yet. You can certainly see why Rodgers wants another goalscorer and a left back. Enrique is very unpredictable and I'm not sure that the midfield three of Lucas, Gerrard and Allen really works. I think Allen has played well this pre-season but I would rather see Henderson start against Stoke. He offers more in the way of goal threat and is just generally better in an advanced role. Allen seems more suited to playing from deep.

Oh, and I think Ibe may well have played himself into the team for the time being at least.

I think that's about right. I'm afraid Lucas is going to be found out against any kind of pace whilst Allen lacks the aggressive, positive movement we need from him. He's just not a box to box midfielder, at least not with the skills that we need. I'm not that sure about Stevie either. Sometimes I'd like to see him in the DM role, with Allen and Hendo playing more forward.

Stoke will be hanging on at Anfield, but a good team will run right through our midfield the way it happened last season.

Regardless of today i still 100 percent believe if we don't improve our first 11 we haven't a hope in hell of 4th spot.

Yeah, we're operating with zero margin for error. Imagine if/when Sturridge/Coutinho gets a knock and misses a match or two. We need a boss midfielder desperately. Now I understand why Rodgers, or the scouts, had a hard on for the Armenian.

Don't think we we're too bad. Made some decent chances but couldn't finish them off.

That fella Balde for them just looked like a shit John Fashanu apart from the goal he did fuck all.

The result wasn't important at all it was a decent workout against a team who had already played four competitive games this season and we'll be fitter for it. Good to see twenty minutes from Ibe he did more than Downing did in the entire game.

A worrying performance for me.

Our midfield just doesnt cut it. Lucas was as average as ever and Gerrard looks every day of his age as he has done the last few matches.

Aspas looked very lightweight although to be fair he had very little support.

Take Coutinho out and where`s the creativity?

Positives were Sturridge returning and Ibe looking the part but there`s a lot of improvement needed for next week.

I think that's about right. I'm afraid Lucas is going to be found out against any kind of pace whilst Allen lacks the aggressive, positive movement we need from him. He's just not a box to box midfielder, at least not with the skills that we need. I'm not that sure about Stevie either. Sometimes I'd like to see him in the DM role, with Allen and Hendo playing more forward.

Stoke will be hanging on at Anfield, but a good team will run right through our midfield the way it happened last season.

Agreed. I like Allen but I'm not sure how he fits into this team, except as an alternate for Gerrard. There's just no obvious place for him in the first 11.

I also worry that the combination of Gerrard and Lucas is a bit too slow. I could see a team like Spurs overwhelming us in midfield next season, even if we have Henderson in there. Any team with big, physical central midfielders is going to fancy their chances of running right through us unless those two really hit top form.

At the other end of the pitch I think the combination of Coutinho and Sturridge is going to be brilliant, and the likes of Aspas, Sterling and Ibe will provide excellent support. There is no question however that we still need someone else who is going to provide goals and creativity. The unfortunate thing for us is that we are fast running out of options.

Downing can fuck off.

Sick of hearing how good he is in training, brilliant, if only there was a Balon Dor for kickabouts and five a sides, though the pressure of an award system at kickabouts level would result in him shitting himself, and then people would be reduced to banging on about how good Downing is at kicking cans in the street and how he can juggle a golf ball in a car park.

We used to be embarrassed about signing Downings, see Leonhardsen, Carter and Stewart. We shoved them out of the club. Now it's vogue to pretend that the problem is ours not theirs, oh he needs an arm around his shoulder, oh he needs more time, he needs to change wings, he needs a proper target man, he needs to shoot more. Fuuuuuuck off now, this is tedious, it's about time we stopped this in its tracks and drew a line under the fucker right now.

Being 29 and producing THIS for over two years in a red shirt is not fucking acceptable. It wasn't acceptable after two weeks, let alone two years. Selling to West Ham, for £2m if necessary, is priority number one. The players need to finally realise that delivering quality performances is the benchmark, the minimum requirement, to stay at the club. Everyday that Downing stays is a an excuse for other players to not perform, "if downing can get away with excuses then so can I", it's setting a piss poor example.

I see what you are saying Derek but I cant grasp how you thought it was worrying?

If you had watched the match you would have seen Liverpool dominate from start to finish' date='

We did not take our chances and that is why we lost that game today, hopefully it will have registered with a few of our players and they will do better next time.[/quote']

I did watch the match and Im worried because we failed to score against a virtual Celtic reserve side.

Did their keeper actually have to make a save in the second half?

I did watch the match and Im worried because we failed to score against a virtual Celtic reserve side.

Did their keeper actually have to make a save in the second half?

Once or twice, in amongst picking the ball out of his net for the offside goal and watching Sturridge's lob fly over his head.

Some days go like that, the time to worry is when it becomes a pattern.

Christ on a fucking bike it's going to be absolute hell anytime we don't win isn't it? Those who got carried away when we a won a friendly are getting all defensive, those who played down our wins because they were only friendly games are getting all doom ridden, it's going to be fucking appalling unless it all goes exactly right. We all think we are above the fans of every other club but we are exactly the same.

Didn’t see the game, Carragher was on earlier about how it should be a centre of 2 plus Coutinho. That he shouldn’t be wide. Always thought Coutinho should be centre myself as well.

When Hendo came on he went to the left and freed Coutinho in the middle. Why Allen can't try that is beyond me. It's 4-3-3 vs. 4-3-2-1.

Calm down Bossy' date=' you have gone all apeshit on us.

We are what we are we will complain when we lose we will complain when we draw we will complain when we win, unfortunately that is the way it is but filtering out the twats the ballless and the wums is what being a modern day online football forum fan is all about.

FUCKING SMELLY MANC TWATS.[/quote']

Thank you sho. I feel understood now.

Calm down Bossy' date=' you have gone all apeshit on us.

We are what we are we will complain when we lose we will complain when we draw we will complain when we win, unfortunately that is the way it is but filtering out the twats the ballless and the wums is what being a modern day online football forum fan is all about.

FUCKING SMELLY MANC TWATS.[/quote']

While you are right, however, you have to be in the mood to filter.

Guest San Don

Our finishing was shite today. We made a load of chances but couldnt make any count. And when we did, it was offside. Im not bothered about the result although it was disappointing to lose after all the possession and chances we had.

It was a friendly. Our centre back pairing was Toure and Wisdom. Wisdom's indecision led to their goal which on another day would have bounced over the bar.

One or two people may have been over confident because of the pre season results.We still need a quality partner \ alternative to sturridge. Doesnt look like we will get someone of sufficient quality in this window unless something happens suddenly.

Here's hoping though.