You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

LFC possible pre-season game in Australia

redinoz

Victoria and NSW set to square off as EPL heavyweights Liverpool consider game in Australia

The Victorian and NSW governments are expected to go head-to-head in a bitter battle to secure the rights to host Barclays Premier League giant Liverpool for a friendly in July.

Liverpool officials attended Saturday night's A-League match between Melbourne Victory and Sydney FC at AAMI Park and are in talks with Sydney's ANZ Stadium and Football Federation Australia for the Reds to make their first visit to the country.

It's understood Liverpool is considering playing two games in Australia - one in Sydney and one in Melbourne.

The news comes on top of the announcement late last year that the NSW government had outbid Victoria with a $3 million commitment for Manchester United to play an A-League All Stars team at ANZ Stadium on July 20.

In an attempt to save face after being criticised for missing out on United, the Victorian government is understood to be ready to pull out all stops to host Liverpool.

Leading agent Lou Sticca, who brought David Beckham to Australia three times as well as Italian legend Alessandro Del Piero to Sydney FC, is the man behind the Liverpool venture.

It is believed it will cost somewhere around $2.5m, though that will be easily offset because the game would be a guaranteed money-spinner. While Liverpool has not had much success in recent times, the club is an iconic football entity and boasts massive worldwide support almost the equal of Manchester United.

Uruguay international Luis Suarez and club legend Steve Gerrard headline a squad that is starting to produce some quality football and results under new coach Brendan Rodgers.

The Victorian government is keen to get away from the "gimmicky" All Stars concept and wants the English club to play Melbourne Victory, the best supported club in the A-League, at the MCG in a game that would draw at least 80,000.

However, Victoria is in for some stiff competition as ANZ Stadium officials have been in discussions with Liverpool for some time now and are determined to put another one over Victoria.

If Sydney gets the match, which will most likely be held on July 28, it is envisaged Liverpool will also play against the A-League stars, who would be kept together after the Manchester United fixture.

"You saw what happened with the ticket sales for the Manchester United match . . . they sold out to the football family in 30 minutes while tickets to the general public went in two minutes," an ANZ Stadium spokesman said.

"We are sure there would be a similar response from the public with Liverpool.

"We have been in discussions with the club for some time now. Manchester United is OK with them coming out and the NSW government is OK with the idea as well. If we get Liverpool it will be the icing on the cake for a super July of sport at ANZ Stadium and in NSW."

Sorry if this has already been posted.

Victoria and NSW set to square off as EPL heavyweights Liverpool consider game in Australia

"We have been in discussions with the club for some time now. Manchester United is OK with them coming out and the NSW government is OK with the idea as well. If we get Liverpool it will be the icing on the cake for a super July of sport at ANZ Stadium and in NSW."

Sorry if this has already been posted.

What the actual fuck has it got to do with them?

Good to see the melbournites finally lost that chip off their shoulder as regards Sydney!

More along the lines of would I be sadly excited at going to see a pre-season friendly with a reserve Liverpool team not really giving a shit against Melbourne Victory? Yes.

Would I pay $500 to fly the wife and kids up to Sydney for the privilege? Probably not.

Good to see the melbournites finally lost that chip off their shoulder as regards Sydney!

I'm from Hobart, Arthur. Don't give a fuck about the Melb/Syd thing.

Just happen to live in Melbourne.

And just, like Jose, looking forward to the possibility of watching Liverpool... if it happened to conveniently fall Melbourne's way.

I guess it was hard to get all that across in a one word post though.

Apologies.

We are already committed to going to Indonesia as part of the Garuda Airlines deal, so by comparison Australia's not much further to carry on to. In reality though, effective pre season preparations are being disrupted by the greed in playing these 'lucrative' games. However, it would be better to have long term gain rather than short term profit, and perhaps instead play some games nearer home so there is little disruption and then we'll get the lucrative rewards in a successful season. Last summer's American trip was farcical, with the players involved in Euro 2012 only joining up halfway through, players training in 100 degrees and us arriving back on a Sunday morning, then having a Euro away game the following Thursday. I'm convinced it's a factor in us starting off so slowly, as Rodgers had no chance to try his systems out properly with the players he's be relying on the most.

Arsenal play the Emirates tournament or whatever they call it, playing top teams at home raking in revenue. Why cant we?

Seriously, get a team from SPL, Irish league, winners of the Championship, fuck it, invite Everton.

People would pay to travel and see Liverpool - Celtic or a derby.

Make it more family orientated, cutting out trouble (fights etc..)

But as already stated, money does indeed talk. This would be 3 weeks before the PL kick off, where I imagine we would be play a lower league team and perhaps an Italian team at Anfield. Before a slow start in the league. again.

More along the lines of would I be sadly excited at going to see a pre-season friendly with a reserve Liverpool team not really giving a shit against Melbourne Victory? Yes.

Would I pay $500 to fly the wife and kids up to Sydney for the privilege? Probably not.

I'm from Hobart, Arthur. Don't give a fuck about the Melb/Syd thing.

Just happen to live in Melbourne.

And just, like Jose, looking forward to the possibility of watching Liverpool... if it happened to conveniently fall Melbourne's way.

I guess it was hard to get all that across in a one word post though.

Apologies.

Just a gentle jibe folks - as an ex-sydneyite i look forward to visiting yer city, we're not even an option up here so think yerselves lucky - even Paul Simon won't come near the place, Byron Bay Blues Festival is north enough for that cat.

If Nath and Cevan are up for it, I'll make plans to come to Melbourne and we can make a bit of a weekend of it? If, of course, this goes ahead.

I'll be up for it mate, promised the wife we'd get to Melbourne this year, so its a bit of a winner as long as I can get tickets. May head down to Surfers for a few either next weekend or the one after if yer up for a bevvy.

We are already committed to going to Indonesia as part of the Garuda Airlines deal, so by comparison Australia's not much further to carry on to. In reality though, effective pre season preparations are being disrupted by the greed in playing these 'lucrative' games. However, it would be better to have long term gain rather than short term profit, and perhaps instead play some games nearer home so there is little disruption and then we'll get the lucrative rewards in a successful season. Last summer's American trip was farcical, with the players involved in Euro 2012 only joining up halfway through, players training in 100 degrees and us arriving back on a Sunday morning, then having a Euro away game the following Thursday. I'm convinced it's a factor in us starting off so slowly, as Rodgers had no chance to try his systems out properly with the players he's be relying on the most.

The weather down here around June, July isn't too much worse than an english summer, so they should have few issues with that, I believe Indonesia is tropical or subtropical so may be a bit warmer / damper.

On the whole touring down here gig, there are a load of reds over here, but mainly of a certain age, a lot less kids. If the dad's can get them to a game and hear some of the songs, join in with the atmosphere (admittedly diluted) then it may give a boost to shirt sales and all that bollocks, plus it's a bit shit they've never been here - mainly due to the lack of lucre on offer - and so the fans have had to put up with the shite and Rangers. The amount of old bastards I've met who played with Craig Johnston and were better than him is phenomenal, he must have played more games here before he left than Pele in Brazil.

• 2 weeks later...

Victory to take on Liverpool

Victory to take on Liverpool

Date

February 14, 2013

MELBOURNE has won the battle with Sydney and will host a one-off game at the MCG between Liverpool and Melbourne Victory in late July.

The two cities - and their state governments - had been vying to attract the Reds, who are due to arrive in Australia hard on the heels of Manchester United.

Premier League leader United will take on a Football Federation Australia All Star side in Sydney in a venture underwritten by the New South Wales government at a reported cost of $3 million.

The Victorian government did not pursue United but has now got a club that will be just as big an attraction without, it is believed, having to outlay anything like that amount. With Victory providing the opposition, it is not unreasonable to expect a crowd of 70,000-plus at the iconic venue, which usually hosts only Socceroos matches.

Advertisement

Sources close to the negotiations say it is a done deal. ''This will be a massive match, especially with Victory and not an All Star team playing against Liverpool,'' one insider said.

''Victory is the best-supported club in the country and they will bring 35,000 to 40,000 or more of their own fans. With Liverpool having so many supporters all over the country it's likely that there will be a really bumper crowd for this game as Reds fans are sure to travel from interstate to see their team.''

Liverpool officials came and scouted Victory as potential opponents last month and were impressed by the sell-out crowd and the atmosphere at the Victory-Sydney match at AAMI Park on Australia Day. The fact that it also pulled more than 40,000 at Etihad Stadium against Heart the following week will not have gone unnoticed at Anfield.

The game date is set for Thursday, July 25, and is part of Liverpool's pre-season preparations for the 2013-14 Premiership campaign that will kick off a few weeks later.

Victory will be in the middle of its long off-season break, but its players will not struggle for motivation against opponents of this calibre. Victory could, however, be missing key players such as Archie Thompson and Mark Milligan as the Socceroos are due to play in the East Asian Cup the week that Liverpool is touring here.

At least it being at the MCG means a decent chance of getting a ticket. In the middle of the AFL season though, so the surface could be an issue, although generally speaking it is second to none there.

Ah, that'll explain the thursday night game then.

Bit of a farce really that it might be a bit difficult to get a ticket in a 100,000 stadium for a pre-season friendly. I'll be up for a few bevvies (and taking friday off work) if some of you guys fancy it.

At least it being at the MCG means a decent chance of getting a ticket. In the middle of the AFL season though, so the surface could be an issue, although generally speaking it is second to none there.

Ah, that'll explain the thursday night game then.

Bit of a farce really that it might be a bit difficult to get a ticket in a 100,000 stadium for a pre-season friendly. I'll be up for a few bevvies (and taking friday off work) if some of you guys fancy it.

A pint then, lads?

Before I head off to my $20 Melbourne Cricket Club seat. :whistle:

Monkey's all over this - cheers for the heads up Nath. I'm booking flights in a minute on Tiger. $100 return from the GC to Melbourne. Get into Tulamarine on the 25th at mid day and am there until Sunday. Melbourne is fucking boss and the MCG is one of the most iconic sports grounds to be found anywhere.

As far as bevvies . . . Young and Jackson's for a few scoops?