You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Why is he a nob? Or a tit? I think he is doing what he feels is the right thing to do by his beliefs regardless of the uproar and bad publicity. I wish more people were like that. Particularly when ignoring an unelected fucking head of state.

No, no. He's been a naughty boy and he shouldn't make any statements against our brave Royal Family. Nobody should. Everyone should just shut up and and allow a gang of unelected, inbred, parasitical nonces to lord it over us peasants forever. 

I think it's fucking ace that a footballer has proven he's an actual human.

• Upvote 9

I'm not arsed about him not singing the anthem and it's not something I find offensive, I just think the guy's a bit of a nob. I've not time for the royal family and I've never sung the national anthem at any event but all that requires is to keep your mouth shut for 2 minutes.

Turning your back and making an obvious gesture smacks of someone seeking attention and trying too hard to make a point. Regardless of his views on the country and the establishment it's still a pretty childish thing to do really. Same with the whole poppy thing.

Exactly, plus why is a professional footballer making such an immature, confused and pointless political statement in public anyway while, let's not forget, representing his employer? The guy has a right to believe what he wants and I'm sure he's got his reasons for his beliefs (even though he was 9 when the Good Friday Agreement was signed) but this just makes him look like a tit.

• Upvote 1

Exactly, plus why is a professional footballer making such an immature, confused and pointless political statement in public anyway while, let's not forget, representing his employer? The guy has a right to believe what he wants and I'm sure he's got his reasons for his beliefs (even though he was 9 when the Good Friday Agreement was signed) but this just makes him look like a tit  EDIT: I asked your age but I may as well just make the point. 

I was 5 in 1989. I would never read the s*n. 

Exactly, plus why is a professional footballer making such an immature, confused and pointless political statement in public anyway while, let's not forget, representing his employer? The guy has a right to believe what he wants and I'm sure he's got his reasons for his beliefs (even though he was 9 when the Good Friday Agreement was signed) but this just makes him look like a tit.

So because he's representing his employer he has to respect that national anthem, whatever the fuck that means?

A company I used to work for used to buy poppies for all the staff. I refused to wear mine because that didn't represent my personal views.

• Upvote 1

34, what's the significance?

Sorry mate I edited it to make my point.

I was going to say ask would you buy the s*n. Just pointing out that it doesn't matter how old he as when the good friday agreement was made at all. What matters is he believes strongly in an injustice and as a result won't get on board with singing the national anthem because he doesn't believe in it. If work told me to read that newspaper I would walk out the door before id even pick it up. Its relative. 

So because he's representing his employer he has to respect that national anthem, whatever the fuck that means?

A company I used to work for used to buy poppies for all the staff. I refused to wear mine because that didn't represent my personal views.

Exactly. 

Sorry lads, I had some stuff typed out there but in all honesty, I don't like talking about Northern Irish politics. I shouldn't have got involved. I take the points you're making, though I think it's different but I'll have to cop out

Fair play mate. You live there so I don't expect for a second I know as much as you. 

Seems a bit silly to "protest" the national anthem if you're happy to live, work and get paid in England.

If you're so republican, why not go home? And I would consider myself Irish.

"God Save the Queen" is the anthem of the United Kingdom.  Which bit of the UK he lives and works in is completely irrelevant.

Much more relevant is the fact that he comes from a part of the UK in which grovelling to the Crown is pissing on the graves of innocent people who were murdered by agents of the Crown.

As has been mentioned, he didn't exactly piss on the ground when it was played.  He just chose not to go through the hypocritical and (to him and his community) tasteless pretence of showing respect for the Crown.

• Upvote 1

He didn't need to turn his back, he could of just stood there like everyone else it's not like he's being forced to do anything just stand there and listen to something.

If it was an English player turning his back on the Argie/German or Irish national anthem for similar reasons I'm sure there would be a lot more outrage.

That would be disrespecting another country's anthem (which, of course, no Englishman would ever do!) so not the same thing at all.

That would be disrespecting another country's anthem (which, of course, no Englishman would ever do!) so not the same thing at all.

The same cunts outraged by this probably boo every other nations national anthem and will happily sing ten german bombers at passing families followed with nazi salutes, completely unaware of their own hypocrisy.

He was representing West Brom football club and being paid very good money to do so, if I went out my way at work to make a political statment whilst offending a shit load of people who paid my wage as well as others I'd be sat with HR and out of a job the next day.

• Upvote 1

He was representing West Brom football club and being paid very good money to do so, if I went out my way at work to make a political statment whilst offending a shit load of people who paid my wage as well as others I'd be sat with HR and out of a job the next day.

What? I know workers rights in this country are being eroded but I didn't know things had got this bad.

So if the British Legion come into my work selling poppies and paraphernalia and I refuse to buy anything, but then have to justify myself with reasons which some of my colleagues and bosses just happen to take "offense" to then I should expect to lose my job? Really?