You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I see your point Zig, and you are right, there was an enormous hole there. Transitions are really important and when the play breaks down as you are attacking it leaves you vulnerable to the break. We should have been better prepared to cope with the break down in play as several things went wrong from that point on to lead to the goal. I know that passing accurately in the attacking third is much more difficult than in other areas of the pitch, but in this case I thought it was a fairly simple, short pass to Suarez that missed the mark.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a shit pass, no mistake, and big questions need to be asked of his passing this season. I just don't think losing the ball just outside your opponents box can be considered the cause of conceding a goal.

We have a big gap between our defence and our midfield, and when Lucas is not in the side no-one takes care of cleaning up our shit there. We will concede more goals like that if we don't do something about it. Diaby was running amok in there too.

It doesn't have to be Lucas, but we need someone with bite in our midfield. After last season, it was perhaps foolish not to get some backup in.

We have Lucas in our squad. When he gt injured plenty said we won't miss him, others will do his job and more.

I just hope people realise e's a very good and important payer for us.

We have Lucas in our squad. When he gt injured plenty said we won't miss him, others will do his job and more.

I don't think too many people barring a few obvious agenda driven morons are still on the "Lucas is shit" bandwagon.

We need him back because he at least gives us the option of pushing Gerrard further forward, and he cleans up for the mistakes of others.

I don't think too many people barring a few obvious agenda driven morons are still on the "Lucas is shit" bandwagon.

We need him back because he at least gives us the option of pushing Gerrard further forward, and he cleans up for the mistakes of others.

Is Lucas the same player we had a year ago though? Who can know?

Cover was needed and not bought.

I wanted De Jong, but we bought another shit forward instead.

But i guess Rodgers thought he had more to spend.

We miss a goal scorer far more than we miss Lucas. We haven't had one since Torres left and fuck does it show. Lucas wouldn't of made too much of a difference today when so many players play sloppy passes. Sure Lucas would of solidified us more that is the whole point of having a DM. I'd rather he was in the side alongside Allen who from what I've seen so far could quite well be the best midfielder we've had in years. Our biggest issue is our players strike the ball like a pensioner in reebok pumps. So yeah we miss Lucas but I'd swapp him in a second for a decent goal scorer.

Whoever said that needs a brain implant. Our central defenders cannot cope without a babysitter in front of them.

Fair comment Zig, and I agree that Diaby was having a field day in the middle. He is nowhere near the class of Vieira back in the day, but we allowed him to do a good impression.

It's not a fair comment at all. Possession football is about patience because the idea is to have as many of your players as high up the pitch as possible, if you lose the ball near the opposition half/penalty box you are going to get hit on the counter attack, that is a natural side effect of a possession based style of play. If we weren't continually giving Arsenal the ball then Diaby and Carzola couldn't hurt us with it.

Gerrard has been way too eager to force the play and it's cost us in three league games in a row. If the pass isn't on he shouldn't be attempting it, that's why 'patience' is one of the 4 'p's of possession football (patience, , passing, pressing, penetration). Wayward passes are going to leave us badly exposed.

Allen's passing accuray was in the 90's as was Henderson's midweek, if Gerrard's passing accuracy passing accuaracy is in the 80's I'll be very surprised.

Now I'm not calling for Gerrard to be dropped but he is a world class talent and argubly the best player we have but he can't be allowed to continue to give away the ball away in midfield (Gerrard's lack of pressing is also an issue) or we may as well bin off possession football because it isn't going to work.

Play Gerrard in the front 3 (through the middle);

A) He is clincial.

B) It would push Suarez out wide (Suarez is rubbish thorugh the middle).

C) If he loses the ball there will be enough bodies behind him to snuff out the counter attack.

Gerrard in midfield when we are attempting to transition into a possession based style of play isn't working.

Should Gerrard be dropped?

YES. Because...

His final pass is shit. He shooting is shit. His link up play with Suarez is shit this season.

He just need to calm down a bit when playing. He's running everywhere and doesnt do him any good. He should play smart. Let Sahin and Allen do the job. So yeah he should be dropped because of the reason above.

He'll come good (yet again) i have no concerns about that. Yes he's been a bit shit so far this season but his legs have certainly not gone.

They key issue here is TIME

For brendan and for gerrard they both need a bit of time. If the fans, the press and the owners are prepared to relax a little and give them some time then they'll settle and flourish.

If (the more likely scenario) the internet overhypes with hysterical panic then we may well have a meltdown on our hands.

He'll come good (yet again) i have no concerns about that. Yes he's been a bit shit so far this season but his legs have certainly not gone.

For brendan and for gerrard they both need a bit of time. If the fans, the press and the owners are prepared to relax a little and give them some time then they'll settle and flourish.

If (the more likely scenario) the internet overhypes with hysterical panic then we may well have a meltdown on our hands.

Gerrard is 32 years old, it's too late for him to learn a new style of play. He has been all action his career, he shouldn't be trying to change him into something he is not, we should be trying to channel what he is best at and that is scoring goals.

Good manager dont need time. Brendan Rodgers certainly dont have time on his side. Gerrard do. But in Gerrard's case, he's there because he's our living legend. One of the best Liverpool players of all time but yeah a good manager will see his performance drop and drop him to the bench.

So now, what we should do now is pray that this shit performance will improve soon.

Play Gerrard in the front 3 (through the middle);

A) He is clincial.

B) It would push Suarez out wide (Suarez is rubbish thorugh the middle).

C) If he loses the ball there will be enough bodies behind him to snuff out the counter attack.

Gerrard in midfield when we are attempting to transition into a possession based style of play isn't working.

+1

Suarez/Sterling - Borini/Suarez - Gerrard

Sahin - Allen - Shelvey

+1

Suarez/Sterling - Borini/Suarez - Gerrard

Sahin - Allen - Shelvey

+2

Gerrard should be playing up front on the right where he can be devastatingly effective. He's usually clinical in front of goal, has a good understanding with Suarez, plus will take some of the attention away from Suarez from opposition defenders as they know how damaging Gerrard can be in front of goal. For me at the moment it is easy to play our forward line, nullify Suarez and there is then very little threat to worry about. Put Gerrard in there and we might just start to worry teams a little more.

As i said in the match thread' date=' he looked tired today to me. He's played 90 against city, 90 on thursday and then he's playing again today in a game where he needs to be at his best because it's Arsenal and they've had a week off. It's not going to be easy for him at 32 i'd have thought.[/quote']

I agree that it gets tougher the older you get.

However Ryan Giggs is nearly 50 and was pretty much an ever present for United last season.

If it is the issue that he needs to adjust his fitness regime, or ans I firmly believe he needs to fuck England off or give up the captaincy IF he is going to struggle to play every game fuel to fitness.

All ifs and buts but something needs to give.

Stick him on the right of the front three and it will be more beneficial to the team.