You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Breakthrough 2012/2013

smilezzz

We've invested significantly in youth over the past few seasons, and Jonjo's breakthrough is testament to this. With Sterling getting some time on the pitch lately, I've been wondering, who else might be ready from our reserve and youth sides? Is Suso ready for a few sub appearances or starts in the Europa, and how is Coady and Morgan coming along?

We've invested significantly in youth over the past few seasons, and Jonjo's breakthrough is testament to this. With Sterling getting some time on the pitch lately, I've been wondering, who else might be ready from our reserve and youth sides? Is Suso ready for a few sub appearances or starts in the Europa, and how is Coady and Morgan coming along?

And you think the next manager is going to continue with shelvey and sterling never mind bring in the likes of coady, suso and morgan after theyve seen Dalglish sacked for not getting 4th (or 5th or 6th if you believe ayres)?

And you think the next manager is going to continue with shelvey and sterling never mind bring in the likes of coady, suso and morgan after theyve seen Dalglish sacked for not getting 4th (or 5th or 6th if you believe ayres)?

The fuck's that got to do with anything you steaming great ponce?

He was debating about who we feel might be ready to step up for some first team experience.

Love to see Sterling get a few starts in the early Europa rounds and see what the experience does for his game.

Id love to see sterling grab a few games next season, as for Suso i havent heard much about his last season so i dont know.

I know he is not classed as 'Youth Breakthrough' but how did Danny Wilson do on loan last season? would we bring him back into the first team?

Is Wilson injured? - he never made the squad for the play off final.

The new manager whoever it will be will not be pressured into playing £20m wingers as they were not his buys, so yeah, give youth a chance, don't wait for early Europa League games, do it from game 1 in the PL, have a couple of youngsters ready to go and if they grab 10 minutes ahead of others, maybe the other players will get a grip?

Sterling will get the odd game here and there, I'm sure, and he might get more than that if both Maxi and Kuyt are moved on, as per rumours.

Suso is a bit further behind, but the last half of last season he really stepped it up and if he continues that level of progress, he'll debut next season.

Coady is a long shot, in my opinion. If he weren't a defender I'd say that Wisdom was probably closest of the rest, but he might have to wait a bit. Robinson and Shelvey I assume don't count as they're already part of the first team squad.

Joao Carlos is the wild card. We haven't seen him for the reserves yet, though he finally was on the bench for that friendly last week. Hopefully he's fit for preseason and we can see what he's about. At his age (19, turns 20 next January) you have to figure they must think he's not too far off first team material, else why buy him?

Trying not to get into that debate, surely there's enough threads regarding those issues. Just trying to gauge opinion to see whether or not our recent spend in that area bears any fruit.

Wilson barely got a game at Blackpool as far as I know. He seemed to be a very speculative buy at the time, and at about 2mil, seemed fair. Parallels can be drawn with the Ngog purchase, cheapest, not quite ready for the first team, decent at reserves level. Itd a pity for Ngog though, as i feel that we played him too much initially, and i feel he got a battering as he was always in the shaddow of what was then, the worlds deadliest striker. We'll probably sell Wilson off at he same amount as what we bought him for, as sadly, there seems to be something lacking in his game.

Joao Carlos is a good shout, almost twenty, also quite cheap, another gamble? I havent seen him play though, so I can't comment on his game. Is he good enough to come on for a couple of games?

How long left on his contract? He'll go on loan for the duration of that, and then leave on a free, like many before him...

Not to sure about his contract,all i know is we loaned him out to Atletico with the option of buying him.

They in turn loaned him out to Rayo Vallecano last season.

Then he arrived back here on the 15th may.

Wouldn't be surprised to see us give Ngoo (really not loan material, no external manager is going to understand how useless he seems in the air and have the time to incorporate what he can do on the deck - along with a lot of strength and pace) or Adorjan (older than most people think as he had a bad injury hold him up a year) a punt given a favourable draw.

Eccleston too (ahead of Patches for me at the moment).

If I understand Ayre correctly, FSV are far more interested in league standing than in cup runs and, presumably, the Euopa league. Seems to be our new boss will have a free hand if he decides to blood some academy players in early cup and Europa ties, no? He can save the starters and top squad players for league matches and more advanced cup and europa ties.

Ayre said it himself, why not take advantage of it? If anything, it takes a lot of pressure off the new man, knowing that he can bounce out early enough without being sweated for it.

May I ask people who watch the reserves regularly whether it's fair to say Sterling and Suso have stood out in many ressie games this season?

I've watched a few games and it didn't take long for them to stand out for me; But that's just going off 2 or 3 games.

If regular watchers of the ressies can confirm that, it'll be criminal if we don't see more involvement in first team squads this season for them.

What else can you do as a player trying to make a breakthrough??

Suso was quiet first half of the season but looked ace second half. I think for him he needs the team playing well to make a big impact because he doesn't have the raw pace of Sterling. His decision making and general football intelligence is a long way ahead of Sterling though.

I'm confident both players will get some games next season but its imperative that their introduction is gradual.

Any idea what happened to Flanno after the Blackburn game? Has he played any matches for the ressies since?

He was quite awful in that game, but that's expected now and again from a youngster at that level. What I'd like to know is how is the lad getting on after the match, as something like that could set him back.

The developing youth discussion, comes round every few years. Ultimately, the best teams don't the only teams that do are mid table sides who have to.

Don't believe me, well look at Citeh. Johnson, Onhura, the midget at villa, Richards etc were an excellent youth team who got playing time as Citeh needed to fill spaces, now, well, with the exception of Richards, where are they now ?

And where is Ciehs youth policy now ?

When was the last time anyone , bar Wenger consistently bought their own youth through ?

Our best youth product since Owen, Gerrard and Carra was Mellor, these other kids, pah

Manchester United? They're kind of reknowned for bringing players through. This last season? Cleverly and Welbeck.

City also brought through Sturridge who is a top-tier talent and have Guidetti ripping up the Eredivisie on loan.

Chelsea have Hutchinson and Bertrand in their first team squad and you can expect to see the likes of Piazon and Chalobah appear soon.

Spurs have Rose, Livermore, Townsend and Smith in and around the squad.

So you're talking nonsense, every contending squad is looking to bring through their own youth to support their squad.

and to further strengthen the nonsense, you think Mellor was a better talent than Kelly?

Manchester United? They're kind of reknowned for bringing players through. This last season? Cleverly and Welbeck.

City also brought through Sturridge who is a top-tier talent and have Guidetti ripping up the Eredivisie on loan.

Chelsea have Hutchinson and Bertrand in their first team squad and you can expect to see the likes of Piazon and Chalobah appear soon.

So you're talking nonsense, every contending squad is looking to bring through their own youth to support their squad.

and to further strengthen the nonsense, you think Mellor was a better talent than Kelly?

Tom cleverly is 22 not exactly a youngster.

Adjoran would be my pick - reminds me of ozil in the way he plays

So thats 22 Claverly, 22 yr old Sam Huthinson who has played 5 times for Chelsea ? 22 yr old Ryan Bertrand who has played 10 times or so for Chelsea ? Do me a favor.

Rose is 21 and played a handful of games, Livermore 22. These aren't kids.

Sturridge I forgot of my list of Citeh players and I'll give you Welbeck.

However the point I was making was that none of them forged their career with their current side, they all were loaned out and learnt their trade elsewhere. Even Welbeck is 21 or 22 and went out on loan a couple of times before being given a chance.

When we have talents we expect our manager to play them, and for me it's a sign of overall weakness as the top sides do not blood their youngsters anymore, as I said. Bar Wenger of couse. There is a massive difference between owning a good youngster and plain him or loaning them out and letting someone else blood them .

I'll give you Kelly, but unless he shakes the injuries he may well end up achieving less than Mellor and Mellors record is very underrated, but for his knees he'd have been a regular.. Whitbreads done we'l since he went away.

Anyway, I digress, top teams don't bring through their youth, someone else does, fact and therefore if we do play the kids, it's a sign of weakness not strength and indicative of the shite were in. Goodnight