You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roy Hodgson, know your role and shut your mouth

They have plenty of winnable games left. Can’t see them going down. With the team they’ve got they should be comfortably mid table, but Hodgson has them down there because he’s well past his sell by date, and when he was at his best he wasn’t very good then either.

Well, apart from winning the toblerone league. That was the pinnacle and he’s been translating his methods since.

I don't get all the hatred of him.

He was never good enough to be England manager or Liverpool manager but which manager would turn down those jobs if offered and all that comes with them?

He is not a dishonest man or a loathsome man.

Just a manager with limitations. He is like a Joe Royle or Graham Taylor but with foreign languages. He is well suited to getting smaller teams punching above their weight by emphasising effort and organisation (Switzerland, Finland, Fulham) but put him charge of a big club or team and his limitations become obvious,

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

He was never good enough to be England manager or Liverpool manager but which manager would turn down those jobs if offered and all that comes with them?

Just a manager with limitations. He is like a Joe Royle or Graham Taylor but with foreign languages. He is well suited to getting smaller teams punching above their weight by emphasising effort and organisation (Switzerland, Finland, Fulham) but put him charge of a big club or team and his limitations become obvious,

He is a arrogant horrible cunt

These probably do not help

No.1: Post-match reaction to a 2-0 derby defeat 

“From what I saw I thought we dominated the second half totally. I thought the shape of the team was good today; the quality of our passing and movement was good. We didn’t score goals and Evertondid but I refuse to accept that we were in any way outplayed or any way inferior. I watched the performance and the second half was as good as I saw a Liverpool team play under my management that is for sure.”

No. 2: On Fernando Torres being linked with Manchester United 

“I don’t think Fernando Torres will be the only striker they target, and I don’t think that we will be the only club that will be worried their striker can be targeted. I am not naive to believe there won’t be any danger and we will never lose a player like Torres, I understand these things can happen.”

No. 3: Defending the indefensible, the day after a home defeat to Blackpool 

“Unbelievable. What do you mean by that? In 35 years, how many clubs have I had? What do you mean do my methods translate? They have translated from Halmstads to Malmo, to Orebo to Neuchatel Xamax, to the Swiss national team, so I find the question insulting. To suggest that because I have moved from one club to another, that the methods which have stood me in good stead for 35 years and made me one of the most respected coaches in Europe don’t suddenly work is very hard to believe.”

No. 4: Where does Meireles play again?

He (Meireles) had two training sessions and played on Thursday night and he played again on Sunday so it is very early for me to make strong judgements about where his best position is. The work we do on the training field will show me how best to use him.”

No. 5: Criticising the ownership protest 

“Those people (protestors) aren’t making my job any easier”

No. 6: Attacking Rafa Benitez

“I think you can pay an awful lot of money for poor players and you can pay not very much money for very good ones – it is all to do with how good your scouting and your eye is. There are a lot of things here that the club has got to get right. We have got a lot more expensive failures on our list than good players that we have brought in for next to nothing.”

No. 7: Criticising Glen Johnson (publicly) 

“He’s the England right-back and, if he plays like that, one would expect him to come back in when he’s fit. But then he’d have to play like the England right-back and up to now, to be quite frank, he’s not performed – very often at least – to the level I’d expect of him. You would have to ask him ‘do you think you’re playing like the best right-back in the country for your club?’ If he says yes, obviously we will have to agree to differ.”

No. 8: Misinterpreting United rivalry 

“I’ve been involved in some big derbies in my career and you know how much they mean to the fans. It compares with Inter v Juventus. The Milan derby was a big occasion but the derby d’Italia was the real killer one, as it were.”

No. 9: Failing to defend Torres immediately among ‘dive’ claims 

“I didn’t think it was necessary to say it because it was insulting people’s intelligence. For me, it was one of Alex’s inflammatory little digs to make his victory even sweeter and our defeat even harder and that’s part of the game.”

No. 10: Fulham Comparison 

“At the moment arguably one or two of the players that you are suggesting are very different to the Fulham players’ maybe are not playing any better than the Fulham players played. Journalists work on names and not on performances. You watch people play and you base your judgement on their name and not necessarily what they have actually done on the day of the game.”

13 August: “It was a very simple decision when I heard he might be available”

Christian (Poulsen) is an all-round player. He is capable of scoring goals, a good passer of the ball and a good defender too. I don’t see him being limited to one particular role. For me, it was a very simple decision when I heard he might be available at what we considered to be a very reasonable price.

9 September: “He’s a good player and he’s the right man for the job” (On Konchesky)

There aren’t many quality left-backs around in the world, never mind in England – so to find an English one who can go straight into the team without any adjustment problems is a big advantage. He is a player I know, a player I have worked with and he knows the way we try to play and the things we try to do. That’s another little advantage, but the main reason for bringing him here is because we think he’s a good player and he’s the right man for the job.

Its not my fault

23 September: “These players have to accept responsibility” (After the defeat to Northampton)

These players have to accept responsibility. I accept responsibility for changing a lot of players in the team, I did it because I honestly thought the players I put on the field were good enough to win the game and they weren’t. The obvious conclusion to that was I shouldn’t have changed that many players but we should have been strong enough to get a result. We must all take our responsibility. I am just bitterly disappointed that the team I had so much faith in did not repay that faith this evening with the exception of one or two performances.

24 September: “The protest does not help”

The protest does not help but it is something I have had to live with since I came to the club. I, like everyone else at Liverpool, would be very happy if the ownership situation was clarified and in particular if we got a very good owner that could help us move forward. It is a major issue for a group of people who are very much anti the owners and anti the current people who are trying to solve the situation. I knew the situation existed before I arrived and it doesn’t help. But it is often the case that when things are conspiring against you there is always an extra thing to come in and make it that little bit worse.

3 October: “I don’t understand questions about Liverpool and Fulham players being different types”

I don’t understand questions about Liverpool and Fulham players being different types. At the moment arguably one or two of the players that are suggested as being very different to the Fulham players maybe aren’t playing any better than the Fulham players played. So maybe people should be having a look at that.

17 October: “Feted as one of England’s best managers”

I think it would be a sad day for football and for Liverpool if someone who had been brought in with the pomp and circumstance, and the money it took them to release me from my previous contract, and being feted as one of England’s best managers – if after eight games people are deciding this guy has got to go. It would be sad for me. These things happen in football. You can’t have the years in football I’ve had without ever being sacked, but it would be a sad day for Liverpool because that isn’t Liverpool’s style. So I find that type of question insulting to me and even more insulting to the club.

18 October: “As good as we have played all season” (After the woeful loss to Everton)

That was as good as we have played all season, and I have no qualms with the performance whatsoever. I only hope fair-minded people will see it the same way.

30 October: “That’s what he’s good at” (On Dalglish)

He is doing a great job alongside us and we involve him in our scouting while he still works at The Academy and plays an ambassadorial role. That’s what he’s good at.

14 December: “We are right up there in terms of results” (having won 7 points from 18 and being 11th in the form table) 

The only team with better results than us over the past five or six games is Arsenalor Manchester United. If you take the last five or six games we are right up there in terms of results

• Upvote 10

He is a arrogant horrible cunt

These probably do not help

No.1: Post-match reaction to a 2-0 derby defeat

“From what I saw I thought we dominated the second half totally. I thought the shape of the team was good today; the quality of our passing and movement was good. We didn’t score goals and Evertondid but I refuse to accept that we were in any way outplayed or any way inferior. I watched the performance and the second half was as good as I saw a Liverpool team play under my management that is for sure.”

No. 2: On Fernando Torres being linked with Manchester United

“I don’t think Fernando Torres will be the only striker they target, and I don’t think that we will be the only club that will be worried their striker can be targeted. I am not naive to believe there won’t be any danger and we will never lose a player like Torres, I understand these things can happen.”

No. 3: Defending the indefensible, the day after a home defeat to Blackpool

“Unbelievable. What do you mean by that? In 35 years, how many clubs have I had? What do you mean do my methods translate? They have translated from Halmstads to Malmo, to Orebo to Neuchatel Xamax, to the Swiss national team, so I find the question insulting. To suggest that because I have moved from one club to another, that the methods which have stood me in good stead for 35 years and made me one of the most respected coaches in Europe don’t suddenly work is very hard to believe.”

No. 4: Where does Meireles play again?

He (Meireles) had two training sessions and played on Thursday night and he played again on Sunday so it is very early for me to make strong judgements about where his best position is. The work we do on the training field will show me how best to use him.”

No. 5: Criticising the ownership protest

“Those people (protestors) aren’t making my job any easier”

“I think you can pay an awful lot of money for poor players and you can pay not very much money for very good ones – it is all to do with how good your scouting and your eye is. There are a lot of things here that the club has got to get right. We have got a lot more expensive failures on our list than good players that we have brought in for next to nothing.”

No. 7: Criticising Glen Johnson (publicly)

“He’s the England right-back and, if he plays like that, one would expect him to come back in when he’s fit. But then he’d have to play like the England right-back and up to now, to be quite frank, he’s not performed – very often at least – to the level I’d expect of him. You would have to ask him ‘do you think you’re playing like the best right-back in the country for your club?’ If he says yes, obviously we will have to agree to differ.”

No. 8: Misinterpreting United rivalry

“I’ve been involved in some big derbies in my career and you know how much they mean to the fans. It compares with Inter v Juventus. The Milan derby was a big occasion but the derby d’Italia was the real killer one, as it were.”

No. 9: Failing to defend Torres immediately among ‘dive’ claims

“I didn’t think it was necessary to say it because it was insulting people’s intelligence. For me, it was one of Alex’s inflammatory little digs to make his victory even sweeter and our defeat even harder and that’s part of the game.”

No. 10: Fulham Comparison

“At the moment arguably one or two of the players that you are suggesting are very different to the Fulham players’ maybe are not playing any better than the Fulham players played. Journalists work on names and not on performances. You watch people play and you base your judgement on their name and not necessarily what they have actually done on the day of the game.”

13 August: “It was a very simple decision when I heard he might be available”

Christian (Poulsen) is an all-round player. He is capable of scoring goals, a good passer of the ball and a good defender too. I don’t see him being limited to one particular role. For me, it was a very simple decision when I heard he might be available at what we considered to be a very reasonable price.

9 September: “He’s a good player and he’s the right man for the job” (On Konchesky)

There aren’t many quality left-backs around in the world, never mind in England – so to find an English one who can go straight into the team without any adjustment problems is a big advantage. He is a player I know, a player I have worked with and he knows the way we try to play and the things we try to do. That’s another little advantage, but the main reason for bringing him here is because we think he’s a good player and he’s the right man for the job.

Its not my fault

23 September: “These players have to accept responsibility” (After the defeat to Northampton)

These players have to accept responsibility. I accept responsibility for changing a lot of players in the team, I did it because I honestly thought the players I put on the field were good enough to win the game and they weren’t. The obvious conclusion to that was I shouldn’t have changed that many players but we should have been strong enough to get a result. We must all take our responsibility. I am just bitterly disappointed that the team I had so much faith in did not repay that faith this evening with the exception of one or two performances.

24 September: “The protest does not help”

The protest does not help but it is something I have had to live with since I came to the club. I, like everyone else at Liverpool, would be very happy if the ownership situation was clarified and in particular if we got a very good owner that could help us move forward. It is a major issue for a group of people who are very much anti the owners and anti the current people who are trying to solve the situation. I knew the situation existed before I arrived and it doesn’t help. But it is often the case that when things are conspiring against you there is always an extra thing to come in and make it that little bit worse.

3 October: “I don’t understand questions about Liverpool and Fulham players being different types”

I don’t understand questions about Liverpool and Fulham players being different types. At the moment arguably one or two of the players that are suggested as being very different to the Fulham players maybe aren’t playing any better than the Fulham players played. So maybe people should be having a look at that.

17 October: “Feted as one of England’s best managers”

I think it would be a sad day for football and for Liverpool if someone who had been brought in with the pomp and circumstance, and the money it took them to release me from my previous contract, and being feted as one of England’s best managers – if after eight games people are deciding this guy has got to go. It would be sad for me. These things happen in football. You can’t have the years in football I’ve had without ever being sacked, but it would be a sad day for Liverpool because that isn’t Liverpool’s style. So I find that type of question insulting to me and even more insulting to the club.

18 October: “As good as we have played all season” (After the woeful loss to Everton)

That was as good as we have played all season, and I have no qualms with the performance whatsoever. I only hope fair-minded people will see it the same way.

30 October: “That’s what he’s good at” (On Dalglish)

He is doing a great job alongside us and we involve him in our scouting while he still works at The Academy and plays an ambassadorial role. That’s what he’s good at.

14 December: “We are right up there in terms of results” (having won 7 points from 18 and being 11th in the form table)

The only team with better results than us over the past five or six games is Arsenalor Manchester United. If you take the last five or six games we are right up there in terms of results

Jesus. What an absolute fucking helmet of a man.
  • Upvote 1

Nothing here which is dishonest or hateful just out of his depth at a big club in the modern world.

Nos 2, 6, 7, & 9  seem fair enough to me.

If this was a detail regarding Brendan Rodgers' time at the club then number 6 MAY have been regarded fair enough. As a swipe at Benitez this is nothing more than a sinking man trying to pass responsibility to someone else. This is in no way fair enough.

4 pts clear of the relegation zone in January when he was finally bin bagged, knocked out the League Cup at home to Northampton Town....

All whilst taking shots at the club/the fans/it's legends.

He's a cunt.

A horrible shite cunt.

• Upvote 3

Didn't the horrible cunt even give it the big one after he led Ingerlund to an embarrassing campaign in the last tournament?

After 0-0 with Slovakia :

The ex-Three Lions boss proved as much in the wake of England's drab 0-0 draw with Slovakia during the Euro 2016 group stages.

"We're not doomed yet,'' he said in the aftermath of the contest.

"We can't do much more, we dominated the game from start to finish, we had so many chances and one day we will put them away."

24 hours after resigning from the England post :

​Hodgson's final England press conference - albeit 24 hours after resigning his post - arguably saved his best for last.

The 68-year-old was not supposed to take part in Tuesday afternoon's media briefing, but was talked into facing the assembled press in a bid to placate any further discontent after the embarrassing defeat to Iceland.

And before he even fielded any questions from those present, Hodgson appeared bewildered as to why he was even part of proceedings.

"I don't really know what I'm doing here. I thought my statement last night was sufficient," he bemoaned.

After 1-0 win against Norway in 2014 :

A laborious 1-0 victory over Norway had seen England register just two shots on target and, after the match, journalists quizzed Hodgson over his side's lack of cutting edge up front.

Hodgson, however, was having none of it.

“Absolute f***ing b******s,” he said about the statistic.

“Don’t give me that one. Two shots on target? What about all the ones they threw themselves in front of. Don’t hit me with statistics. When we had that much possession and you talk about two shots on target?”

He refused to apologise in the days after the event.

After 0-0 with Slovakia :

The ex-Three Lions boss proved as much in the wake of England's drab 0-0 draw with Slovakia during the Euro 2016 group stages.

"We're not doomed yet,'' he said in the aftermath of the contest.

"We can't do much more, we dominated the game from start to finish, we had so many chances and one day we will put them away."

24 hours after resigning from the England post :

​Hodgson's final England press conference - albeit 24 hours after resigning his post - arguably saved his best for last.

The 68-year-old was not supposed to take part in Tuesday afternoon's media briefing, but was talked into facing the assembled press in a bid to placate any further discontent after the embarrassing defeat to Iceland.

And before he even fielded any questions from those present, Hodgson appeared bewildered as to why he was even part of proceedings.

"I don't really know what I'm doing here. I thought my statement last night was sufficient," he bemoaned.

After 1-0 win against Norway in 2014 :

A laborious 1-0 victory over Norway had seen England register just two shots on target and, after the match, journalists quizzed Hodgson over his side's lack of cutting edge up front.

Hodgson, however, was having none of it.

“Absolute f***ing b******s,” he said about the statistic.

“Don’t give me that one. Two shots on target? What about all the ones they threw themselves in front of. Don’t hit me with statistics. When we had that much possession and you talk about two shots on target?”

He refused to apologise in the days after the event.

It actually makes me smile to see Ingerlund suffer but still what a twat he truly is.

Im a big fan of Benitez and I think that he suffered from G&H. With proper backing and a stable club we would have won titles. But some of the signings towards the end with questionable

Robbie Keane £19m

Glen Johnson £17.5m

Alberto Aquilani £17.1m

If ever a sentence summed up Roy Hodgson's whole managerial career,this is it.

"I was told by everyone it was important I appear here because people are smarting from our defeat. I suppose someone has to stand and take the slings and arrows that come with it.

"I’m disappointed. I didn’t see it coming. I had no indication that we were going to play that badly. I’m still recovering from what happened.

"We go home as losers in the last 16 and retain that wretched record of not winning a knock-out game in the tournament."

"I don’t really know what I’m doing here, I’m no longer the England manager but I was told to come.

"I suppose someone has to come and take the slings and arrows… my emotions are the obvious ones. I’m very disappointed, I didn’t see the result coming.

"If you don’t turn up and play the football that you know you’re capable of, an opponent like Iceland can beat you. I’m still recovering from that, it wasn’t a good night and I’m very fragile.

"We believed that we could get to the quarter-final and get beyond that."

"They didn’t play badly last night because they didn’t care. They didn’t play well last night because sometimes that happens.

"As a manager, I am responsible so it’s not about transferring blame to the players.

"We feel very sad we couldn’t deliver what we wanted to deliver."

"Of course we are sorry we couldn’t give the results we were hoping for. There is not much more I can say on the subject."

"I’m sure these players will live up to expectations and one day I’m sure we’ll see England do well in a tournament, I’m hoping in 2018.

"It is a difficult job. It is not an impossible job.

"It is getting easier because there are more good young players coming through."

"I have no complaints about the way I’ve been treated and I do understand that there will be criticism but it’s a fact of life.

"One particularly bad game has caused a lot of damage to me, the team and the team going forward because they’ve got a bridge to repair."

He is one of the most dishonest men in the game. Fuck him.