You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I'm far from rude or confrontational usually but it's the lack of perspective that's truly irking me on here lately. I know it's in the past but when you look where we were, where we could actually be, and contrast even six months ago with now and a decent manager being backed fully and the club actually being safe from going into adminsitration and to be honest it beggars belief that some people are still not happy. A difference of opinion is fine Paul, it's the stamping of feet and hissy fits that I can't take.

It's all well and fine to say we should be buying "him" for this much, but does that take into account if the player wants to come; if his Mrs will be happy leaving family and friends behind to sit in Liverpool putting up with shit weather; what his wages and bonuses would total over a five year contract (do they make a player who appears to cost only a couple of million more ultimately ten million more expensive), if after a couple of years they player would be looking to move on and leave us in the lurch, and perhaps most importantly of all, if the manager sees said player fitting into the system he's trying to employ?Maybe jibbing this off for a bit would actually be a good idea for me.

Bang on the nail for me that is. A case in point being the post that directly followed your post above mate.

No. If he wasn't nailed on to sign for us you'd see a lot more people sharing that opinion as well. In fact people would be pissing themselves if he moved to the Mancs for those prices. That's what i think anyway.

of course you would now go back in your closet until you get over it

It’s impossible to say, if you had put a poll up at the start of last season saying “Do you rate Joe Cole? yes or no?” most people would have said yes as it turns out he’s been utter shite.

It’s not who we do or don’t rate as a footballer, it’s about supporting anybody who wears the Liverpool shirt. I’m sure everybody who doubts Downing will be happy to be proved wrong, and everybody who rates him will be happy to tell them “I told you so”

I'm far from rude or confrontational usually but it's the lack of perspective that's truly irking me on here lately. I know it's in the past but when you look where we were, where we could actually be, and contrast even six months ago with now and a decent manager being backed It's all well and fine to say we should be buying "him" for this much, but does that take into account if the player wants to come; if his Mrs will be happy leaving family and friends behind to sit in Liverpool putting up with shit weather; what his wages and bonuses would total over a five year contract (do they make a player who appears to cost only a couple of million more ultimately ten million more expensive), if after a couple of years they player would be looking to move on and leave us in the lurch, and perhaps most importantly of all, if the manager sees said player fitting into the system he's trying to employ?

I'm down with the Chimp on this one !

I very much doubt that anyone on here would have paid £20 million for him, even the people who rate him. We have had to pay over the odds because we really want him and his club really don't want to sell him. Simple as that. Part of the problem for him, perception-wise, is that he isn't really a high-profile or obviously game-changing player, which is what most people expect for that kind of money. It's the same with Henderson. But what they will provide is balance, work-rate, commitment, crossing ability and - by all accounts - an excellent attitude on and off the field. These aren't qualities that will set the pulse racing, but they are essential to creating a successful team.

I very much doubt that anyone on here would have paid £20 million for him, even the people who rate him. We have had to pay over the odds because we really want him and his club really don't want to sell him. Simple as that. Part of the problem for him, perception-wise, is that he isn't really a high-profile or obviously game-changing player, which is what most people expect for that kind of money. It's the same with Henderson. But what they will provide is balance, work-rate, commitment, crossing ability and - by all accounts - an excellent attitude on and off the field. These aren't qualities that will set the pulse racing, but they are essential to creating a successful team.

Spot on that mate. We're building a team full of players who may not be classed as 'Galacticos' but who are all proficient at controlling and then quickly passing a football.

On top of that, they are lads who will stick together and run through brick walls for their boss.

Last season, in the words of our esteem editor, Kenny turned piss into champagne. He may not have gone out and bought champagne but we've got ourselves a few bottles of vino to start from this time.

Exciting times are ahead, in my opinion.

Couldn't care less about paying 'over the odds' for the players Kenny wants. With all the young players coming through to fill squad positions that would otherwise be taken up by costly signings, we can afford to pay extra for the players Kenny wants to put directly into his first eleven. I'm more upset about us signing this Doni fella because to me that's just dead money that doesn't need to be spent.

Kenny fully expected to pay that price for Downing, he's known for months that's how much he'd probably have to pay so he didn't go over budget. He was happy to pay £20m for Downing.

I very much doubt that anyone on here would have paid £20 million for him, even the people who rate him.

I would agree with you at the start of the process. However, as it progressed and I considered the qualities of Downing in greater depth, and the needs for the balance he will give us, I became convinced that Kenny would pay "over the odds" to get him. I totally agree with this strategy, bearing in mind what value he will add to the team.

We were squeezed on the deal - due to a variety of factors (our desire for the guy, Villa's desire to keep him, McLeish's need to show Villa fans he has balls, Villa basically being the cunts they always are, etc.) - but overall I think we will get good value in the long term.

I'm a little underwhelmed by him and our other signings. Looking forward to see how it pans out though. With downing I think it will be much like Riera just having that natural width and stretching the opposition will improve our team play even if the individual player themselves doesn't seem to shine. I'm delighted the manager is getting who he wants that's all that matters really, managers live and die by their results it's only right he has the players he thinks will play to his vision.

Spot on that mate. We're building a team full of players who may not be classed as 'Galacticos' but who are all proficient at controlling and then quickly passing a football.

On top of that, they are lads who will stick together and run through brick walls for their boss.

Last season, in the words of our esteem editor, Kenny turned piss into champagne. He may not have gone out and bought champagne but we've got ourselves a few bottles of vino to start from this time.

Exciting times are ahead, in my opinion.

Deffo. Anyone who can't see the planning and "big picture" thinking that is going into these signings must be blind. I think at the very least next season we will have a squad of players who will run their balls off for their manager and for each other. When that's allied to the individual brilliance of the likes of Suarez and Gerrard (who we haven't really seen properly under Kenny yet) we will become a scary proposition for anyone.

Kenny obviously wanted him and thats good enough for me. Fair play to the owners for backing him as well.

If you read Kenny's book he mentions both Downing and Henderson in it. He's obviously known what these players are about for a long time and he's clearly fought for them to come.

Happy days.

I am genuinely surprised at the Downing love on here. I am obviously very pleased Kenny has his man and has been backed in the transfer market and I am sure Downing will do well as we have been crying out for a genuine winger for years.

But....Downing? Personally I just can not see what the fuss is all about and why people are 'over the moon' about him signing!