You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
will be a great addition to the team. Not as flash or eye catching as Young but more consistent and effective. I think we will (apart from me of course ) be pleasantly surprised what he brings to the TEAM

In what way is he more effective?

Guest Numero Veinticinco
there were not many wide players who out performed downing last season? kuyt scored more (but played up front for some games) and nani scored more and assisted more but in a better team.

There's a paucity of quality wingers in the Premiership, to be honest.

He has become a more consistent player over the past couple of years. Before that he had a lot of games where he was ineffectual, and a handful where he was a constant threat. Usually those games were at the Riverside against us! If Kenny and the club consider him a primary target then, the more I look at it, the more it seems as though Kenny wants Downing to provide the sort of quietly effective and consistent outlet he used to have at Blackburn with Jason Wilcox.

Had a good season last year, this cannot really be disputed. However, looking back before this he has been consistently average. From the whole Hodgson,Pennant et al disasters, i now like to judge a player/manager over more than the last season. I am now of the opinion that if a player is consistently avaerage, despite a good season, he is likely to return to his ways and remain average.

Some people will disagree that he has been avaerage. We will have to agree to disagree.

Downing is a very good player and will be a good signing for us my only problem is the fee but he is what we need.

Watching him last season he reminded me a bit of giggs (not 90s one) in that aswell as putting in a great cross he can play a great through ball aswell, I think his passing ability is very underrated.

As for his crossing I seen him putting some sublime balls in last season that Carroll would feast off,Carroll can beat most in the air so if Downing can get a couple of quality balls on to his head each game I see a lot of goals for Carroll.

• Downvote 1

Yes. I'm glad we're chasing him and not that billy big bollocks Marlo Stanfield wannabe.

Whether he becomes a Liverpool legend or just a solid contributor, who knows. He won't flop though.

You've fucking jinxed it now you queg.

Jury is still out on him.

He has never set the premiership alight, he won't win a match with a moment of brilliance, hasn't got blistering pace or a bag of tricks to buy himself a few yards.

But he is a good team player, will add balance to the midfield and can cross the ball reasonably well.

would i prefer him to someone like Mata, probably not, do i think he will improve the midfield, then yes.

Not really answered the question have i.

But he is a good team player, will add balance to the midfield and can cross the ball reasonably well.

I would go along with this. I would see him as a slight improvement on Riera. When playing well, Alonso's cross field balls to Riera did help spread the play and create space. Im not sure we have anyone in the current squad able to dictate the play in the same way as Xabi though.

Guest The Chimp

I think he is a very good player and as such am more than happy with talk that he'll be at Liverpool this coming season.