You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Reds agree Henderson deal

There is no fucking conspiracy is it? Fucking drama queens.

Barry has made a perfectly valid point - we don't yet fucking know how the transfers are being conducted. Time will tell but just because someone has expressed an opinion/doubt/question doesn't mean there is a fucking conspiracy.

We know for sure the club are working to make deals happen and that is all that matters.

I think it is fair to assume that Comolli is driving the whole thing because that is his job.

Found this browsing on RAWK, it's been picked up from Football 365

Nice Mail On Henderson's Strengths

As a Sunderland supporter, I have watched Jordan Henderson play week-in week-out for the past couple of seasons. Although not baffled by all of this criticism of the transfer fee, I feel that I must make a couple of points about a player who I feel can be a real asset to Liverpool. I get the feeling that many people don't really know what he does, which is hardly surprising given the pathetic amount of air time afforded to us by Match of The Day every week. After the world cup, many of us began to really notice the sheer lack of technical talent in the England set-up. By this, I'm not talking about crossing or shooting ability, I'm talking about close control, quick passing and most importantly of all, tactical awareness. Jordan has these traits in abundance and, far from comparing him to the likes of the great Xavi and Iniesta, his approach to the game is very much as a team member rather than as a maverick. He won't drive through the middle of the park and smash a last-minute cup final half volley into the corner when he's got cramp, but what he will do is keep the game ticking over and, when the chance presents itself, show that he knows how to whip in a dangerous cross or play a nicely weighted through ball.

Of course, this style of play won't make him a fan favourite, and his popularity in Sunderland was partly due to his local roots. Sometimes, there were groans from the fans when he passed the ball backwards or sideways, but those of us watching more closely could see that he was simply playing patient, intelligent football. His touch in tight situations is excellent and he always seems to find a one-two or a small gap to get the ball through to a team-mate. It struck me during the England game this week that some of our players aren't remotely willing to receive the ball when closely marked, but Jordan will. It's exactly what the England team is lacking, and the reason we've heard so much since last summer about non-competitive football for kids in order to teach them how to play the game 3 or 4 steps ahead, like the boys at Barcelona do. For me, the problem with this style of play is that you are only as good as the players around you. We all know that Barca excel due to the fact that each and every player is comfortable on the ball. Unfortunately for Henderson, there have been times this season when some of his team mates haven't been on the same page as him, but I would imagine that he'll settle in nicely in a very talented Liverpool midfield.

So, he moves on to his new club with my blessing, and I'm sure that of most Sunderland supporters. My message to Liverpool fans is just give him time, but I'm sure they will, given his age. He's not the traditional 'Roy of The Rovers' English midfielder, but a player with class and real potential. If Jack Wilshere is the midfielder England always wanted, then Jordan Henderson may well be the midfielder England needs.

Chris SAFC

Very interesting, and a good in depth bit of analysis of the lad's game. I'll be the first to admit that I knew very very little about him before the past few days, but reading that has given me a bit of hope about his signing.

Sunderland's Jordan Henderson shows Liverpool's investment in futures

Liverpool's deal for the Sunderland midfielder, whether for £16m or £20m, shows they are serious about rebuilding

Andy Hunter

guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 8 June 2011 20.40 BST

Jordan-Henderson-won-his--006.jpg

There is no truth in the rumour that Antony Gormley has been commissioned to design a second Angel of the North, to honour the Liverpool director of football Damien Comolli's services to industry in the north-east. Or that the project has been delayed while the sculptor demands a £20m premium, for being English. Such sarcasm is drawn to Liverpool's recent spending. Their willingness to pay unrealistic transfer fees, however, shows where they stand as a club.

A potential £55m has been invested in less than six months to bring Andy Carroll and Jordan Henderson from Newcastle and Sunderland. These are two players of immense promise who, in terms of top-level performance in the Premier League, have produced one full season between them. So much for the end of expensive gambles and the start of unearthing hidden gems under Comolli and the club's new owner, Fenway Sports Group.

Henderson underwent a medical and discussed personal terms on Merseyside on Wednesday before the conclusion of a transfer package that will be worth £20m, according to Sunderland. Liverpool claim they are committed to spending £16m on the once-capped England midfielder, whether or not the French forward David Ngog becomes a makeweight in the deal. What is indisputable is that the fee was one that the Sunderland chairman, Niall Quinn, and manager, Steve Bruce, felt they could not reject.

"Jordan is a credit to himself, his family and Sunderland's academy and everyone here wishes him the very best for the future," Quinn said in a statement that was in keeping with the distinct lack of acrimony over the transfer. "I'm pleased that we got the deal to a level that we felt was right for our club."

The fee was one that Manchester United, Henderson's suitors when a fine start to the season earned him a place in the England team against France in November, were not prepared to pay. But Liverpool had to, as United have demonstrated by beating them to the signature of two of Kenny Dalglish and Comolli's other targets, Phil Jones and, probably, Ashley Young.

Liverpool do not have Champions League football to offer to what is a limited pool of FSG's preferred targets – young, emerging, British players. They cannot provide overwhelming evidence that a Premier League winner's medal is achievable at Anfield. They can offer good money, as free-transfer arrivals such as Joe Cole (who earns £100,000 a week) and Milan Jovanovic (£120,000 a week) can testify, but Liverpool do not have their pick at the top end of the transfer market and their capacity therein pales in comparison to United's. As Sir Alex Ferguson said recently, it was Liverpool's time in the 1980s and it is United's time now, and that statement applies to transfers as well as trophies. Jones, Blackburn's commanding centre-half, and Young, the Aston Villa forward, who both had the option of Anfield, look set to confirm Ferguson's point.

FSG has a clear strategy for Liverpool's future but it is in no position to bide its time or haggle over fees and wages when talent becomes available. Prevaricating has damaged the club too often in recent years; a point that Rafael Benítez, the former manager who had lined up deals for Nemanja Vidic and Florent Malouda, only to see them join United and Chelsea for larger fees, often used against his employers.

At least, after the final, debt-ridden years of the Tom Hicks and George Gillett era, Liverpool are in a position to invest under FSG's ownership. It is far better to receive an England centre-forward and midfielder with at least a decade ahead of them for £55m than a note of thanks from the money-lenders.

In Henderson, Carroll and the Uruguayan striker Luis Suárez, who appears to be a sound investment at £22.8m after only a half a season at Anfield, Liverpool are showing other young players that they have a coherent policy of rebuilding and challenging for a return to the Champions League. Losing out on Jones and Young will be a setback but Dalglish has alternatives, such as the Birmingham City defender Scott Dann, Aston Villa's Stewart Downing, Connor Wickham of Ipswich Town and Charlie Adam of Blackpool, and Liverpool's owners have shown they are prepared to back him.

FSG is not prepared to harvest players with minimal return, however. Liverpool's central midfield looks overcrowded and that is without the club's interest in Adam being revived. Christian Poulsen has expressed a desire to stay on Merseyside (it is unlikely to be granted), and Juventus's £6m offer for Alberto Aquilani is not being taken seriously at this stage. Aquilani's agent, Franco Zavaglia, has denied that the £20m Italy international has been the subject of an approach from Milan. Liverpool will look to sell both players and many more this summer, as they make their fresh start under Dalglish. It is a step forward that they can acquire £20m players without having to sell first.

An early contender for Henderson's song?

Or is it too obscure?

[YOUTUBE]vCiG7xoEb2Y[/YOUTUBE]

But how many songs are there that mention our right-sided midfield by name?

Come on wordsmiths! A splendid time is guaranteed for all!

for the benefit of all Kopites

There will be a show tonight on Anfield Road

And Henderson will be out there

Pass and movin here and there

what a scene

He's English and he cost a bunch

I hope he knows the melody to "Ring of Fire"

In this way Mr. Kenny will challenge the world

The celebrated Mr. Kenny

Performed his feats on Saturdays on Anfield Road

Now Henderson will do his thing

Cutting out towards the wing, so don't be late

Mr Kenny assures the Kopites,

Every cross could well result in a goal

And of course Henry the Boss didn't buy him with debt!

The match begins at 3 o'clock

'cos we're not in the UEFA Cup, we finished sixth

Now Henderson will demonstrate

Ten keepy-ups he'll undertake before he scores

We've been some years in desolation

A celebration's getting overdue...

So tonight Liverpool go top of the leeeaaaagguee...

No thank you, I don't need a coat. Quite nice out actually.

Judging our transfer window outcome on this one deal is like watching Tony Hart starting a painting and after 30 seconds saying it is shit and looks like fuck all.

Egg on all you shitballs when in 3 seasons we have a full landscape with a full moon and a monkey juggling fireballs.

I'm getting tired of posts that suggest there is friction between KK and Comolli. This signing, whether you like it or not, is EXACTLY in accordance with FSG's stated strategy of acquiring young talent at lower prices than established players (and lower wages) and signing them to long-term contracts. Both Kenny and Comolli subscribe to the FSG strategy, and will work in support of it. I believe the delay in working out KK's deal was based in part on clarifying this very point, as well as the term of his deal. The only thing that could go wrong is if egos get in the way, and from what I can see, neither Kenny nor Comolli would put themselves before the club. Expect more of this kind of deal in future, with the occasional blockbuster, maybe!

I think it's a good piece of business!

Who is suggesting there's friction with Kenny and comoli? Some fucking gobshites on here. I asked a question in response to a post saying it's good to see kenny is getting backed and I asked why did they think it's kenny being backed not comoli. The responsibilities of the two has never been clarified by the club, Kenny or DC. I am mearly suggesting my view point is this is backing for comoli and I make no suggestion Kenny isn't happy with the arrangement.

As for people referring to comoli saying he wouldn't buy players the manager didn't want, he said just the same at spurs, so I'll take that with a pinch of salt.

I'm not arsed what our system is as long as it works. Remains to be seen if this DoF thing will work regardless of who the buck stops with.

for the benefit of all Kopites

There will be a show tonight on Anfield Road

And Henderson will be out there

Pass and movin here and there

what a scene

He's English and he cost a bunch

I hope he knows the melody to "Ring of Fire"

In this way Mr. Kenny will challenge the world

The celebrated Mr. Kenny

Performed his feats on Saturdays on Anfield Road

Now Henderson will do his thing

Cutting out towards the wing, so don't be late

Mr Kenny assures the Kopites,

Every cross could well result in a goal

And of course Henry the Boss didn't buy him with debt!

The match begins at 3 o'clock

'cos we're not in the UEFA Cup, we finished sixth

Now Henderson will demonstrate

Ten keepy-ups he'll undertake before he scores

We've been some years in desolation

A celebration's getting overdue...

So tonight Liverpool go top of the leeeaaaagguee...

No thank you, I don't need a coat. Quite nice out actually.

A noble effort, sir!

But what about "Mr Kuyt"???

It's quite funny how all of the traditional anti-Rafa spastics are having trouble coming to terms with the concept of Ngog being worth money.

So I guess the Rafa fanboys would be quite happy if we forked out £7 million for the N'Gog we know and love. Would they honestly believe that's a fair price?

This is not about Rafa. Calm down. It's about the valuation of a player used as a makeweight in a major deal. It's obviously a favourable part-ex for us. Like getting scrappage on a structurally sound Kia Perodua.

Kenny knows Comolli is the guy John Henry wanted and Comolli knows that Kenny has almost universal support of the fans and they both took up their positions within a few weeks of each other. I think the two of them will work together because they both know that there would be no winners if they had problems with each other. If Comolli caused friction with Kenny he knows that the fans are going to side with Kenny. The same applies when it comes to Kenny with Comolli being the owners guy. I think they probably come up with targets together, some from Kenny while others from Comolli.

There is no conspiracy but this is equally ridiculous.

Why must we assume that if they do work together well it's only because they're maintaining some kind of cold peace and each one is grabbing the other by the balls?

Is the concept of two people working together in tandem at a workplace so alien to you? Is it really something you can't envisage, an honest working relationship between two people?

I don't get some people's nature to constantly look for conflict and friction where there's none or at least, there's no evidence of any.

Is that the after-effect of the past few years at the club where there was constant friction and boardroom wars with various people putting their own agendas and interests before the club's? I think it might be.

Either way there's no shred of evidence so far to support the claims, if anything the list of targets has Kenny written all over it for me, and not Comolli. By all accounts Kenny wants British, by all accounts he's a big admirer of Downing while Comolli less so - didn't Dave confirm that and everyone seems to be trusting his information?

So I guess the Rafa fanboys would be quite happy if we forked out £7 million for the N'Gog we know and love. Would they honestly believe that's a fair price?

This is not about Rafa. Calm down. It's about the valuation of a player used as a makeweight in a major deal. It's obviously a favourable part-ex for us. Like getting scrappage on a structurally sound Kia Perodua.

I would put it more with the craziness of prices in the premier league.

If Ngog was English that 7 million would be reading 12 million.

He is proven in the premiership remember,not alot but enough for us to put 8 million valuation on him.

Why must we assume that if they do work together well it's only because they're maintaining some kind of cold peace and each one is grabbing the other by the balls?

Is the concept of two people working together in tandem at a workplace so alien to you? Is it really something you can't envisage, an honest working relationship between two people?

I don't get some people's nature to constantly look for conflict and friction where there's none or at least, there's no evidence of any.

Is that the after-effect of the past few years at the club where there was constant friction and boardroom wars with various people putting their own agendas and interests before the club's? I think it might be.

Either way there's no shred of evidence so far to support the claims, if anything the list of targets has Kenny written all over it for me, and not Comolli. By all accounts Kenny wants British, by all accounts he's a big admirer of Downing while Comolli less so - didn't Dave confirm that and everyone seems to be trusting his information?

Not supported us long?

Ridiculous? Martin Jol would probably have a different opinion. Anyway I don't think there is any problem between Kenny and Comolli, I was just giving my opinion of why it would not be in the interests of either one to not have a good working relationship.