You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Local elections 5th May

Sugar Ape

Tories won Swindon and have two mps but Labour could possibly take both seats in the future they won the popular vote

Swindon, vote share:

Lab: 42.4% (+10.2)

Con: 41.4% (+9.1)

LDem: 7.7% (-0.8)

Grn: 4.6% (+0.5)

UKIP: 3.9% (-18.1)

Chgs. w/ 2014

SD Labour are coming for Southport next time round bit by bit its turning.

Thanks to a collapse in UKIP support almost everywhere, both the Conservatives and Labour are enjoying more support this year than they did four years ago.

Labour's vote has increased on average by six points in our collection of detailed voting figures, while the Conservative vote is up by five points.

But outside the capital it was the Conservatives' vote that increased the most - by eight points, compared with Labour's seven point rise.

For the Liberal Democrats, support has increased on average by three points, a modest improvement on the poor baseline that the party was trying to defend.

Conversely, the Conservatives performed better the more pensioners there were in the ward.

Its vote is up by as much as 10 points on average where more than 20% of the population are aged 65 or over.

From the BBC.

Being reported as a mixed bag by the BBC, however they're also reporting labour up 37 councilors and tories down 2 with 100/150 counted.  Isn't this a great result for Labour or am I missing something?  I know that contextually this is only local rather than national like. 

Eight years in to a struggling and discredited government which has hoisted the delights of austerity on to the population shouldn't Labour be hammering the Tories at this point?

• Upvote 1

Eight years in to a struggling and discredited government which has hoisted the delights of austerity on to the population shouldn't Labour be hammering the Tories at this point?

Corbyn is Teflon coating for the Tories.

Just back from my count, 2nd out of 3 (just, by 16 votes). However, soundly beaten by 1000 votes exactly by the sitting Labour councillor, hey ho!

However, us Greens have our first councillor in Knowsley, and a major shock in Halewood were the Independent came from nowhere and beat the sitting Labour councillor by 41 votes, brilliant to see.

• Upvote 5

Just back from my count, 2nd out of 3 (just, by 16 votes). However, soundly beaten by 1000 votes exactly by the sitting Labour councillor, hey ho!

However, us Greens have our first councillor in Knowsley, and a major shock in Halewood were the Independent came from nowhere and beat the sitting Labour councillor by 41 votes, brilliant to see.

Good work!

I was thinking of something to defend Derby but I can't. What can I say, my city has a significant population that are stupid.

I had a distant Aunt that went to live in Derby after her husband died many moons ago. Quite liked the old bat and wondered what had become of her on odd occasions, I suspect now she was brunt at the stake for not "being from these parts "  

Can only imagine the comments if Labour had reinstated said councillor to gain an advantage and it involved anti-semitism.

With Pendle Council neck-and-neck, their decision to bring back Councillor Rosemary Carroll gave the Tories a majority of one

Mirror Politics

Mirror Politics

@MirrorPolitics

Tories win Pendle council by reinstating a councillor who was suspended for retweeting a racist joke on the morning of the poll

(link: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/tories-win-pendle-reinstating-councillor-12481278) mirror.co.uk/news/politics/…

I had a distant Aunt that went to live in Derby after her husband died many moons ago. Quite liked the old bat and wondered what had become of her on odd occasions, I suspect now she was brunt at the stake for not "being from these parts "

Haha.

The council leader lost his seat to the Kippers. He's really unpopular, obviously, but still doesn't excuse the vote.

The last local elections were spun as proof that Corbyn can't win a General Election; a year later, he came within a bug's dick of doing exactly that.

Even Laura Kuenssberg admits that local elections are (surprise, surprise) won or lost on local issues. Liverpool is a prime example: here, Labour is Anderson's party, not Corbyn's.

Whilst he certainly performed way better than anybody could have hoped I wouldn’t describe a shortfall of 64 seats as a bugs dick, agree with your general point though.

Corbyn is a joke and so far left that he will never be fit to run this country, Labour was for the British working classes traditionally yet he seems to support all that threaten our nation and affect the working classes the most

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk