You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

Guest Numero Veinticinco

My definition of panicking must greatly differ from other people, you know? I mean, there has been some negativity over the reported signings. I think that's mainly due to having new owners who have given the impression that funds will be available, and that we're only interested in buying the 'highest calibre'. However, I've not really seen much panicking, because it's way too early to know what will happen by the end of the transfer window.

Regarding the FFP, by not having the debt on the club that means we will make about £30m per year extra that otherwise went on debt repayments.

Many of the deadwood such as Cole, Jovanovic etc collect wages which per year cost the club £20m+ whilst offering nothing to the team.

Its common business practise to get value for your money and the owners will not mind paying the wages as long as the players justify it by actually playing.

The FFP comes in this summer as the transfer dealings are taken into account from this summer onwards hence the reason Henry talking about keeping to the rules.

Make no mistake about it if UEFA force the FFP onto clubs we will be in a very strong position because we already make money and have the potential to make a lot more.

Other clubs such as Chelsea, Man City have not signed anyone and its purely paper talk at the moment about them making £30-40m bids for various players.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Regarding the FFP[...]

I should really read up on the FFP regulations. There's all sorts of concessions and lead-in times to take into consideration. You can bet Chelsea and City have got it all sorted. Surely they're not just going to ignore it.

the interesting thing is all the early noises were of big spends, increase the wage bill, world class stars targetted......now all the noise seems to be centred around getting the deadwood out, making lowball bids, missing out on targets, not having as much to spend, staying within the parameters of financial fair play

They've a track record of spending what it takes to win, but you've just got to accept that we're not city and the club will be run sensibly whilst fsg are in charge.

The general vibe on here seem to have swung from "we've got £80m plus" to "we've hardly got any money" just on the back of the Wickham transfer.

I think Cyador's right that there is money there and FSG know the value of spending well - and others are right that there's a focus on the wage bill.

Henry's comments though I think are aimed at selling clubs who've seen what we've spent on Carroll and Henderson and think they can take us to the cleaners. It doesn't hurt to make them think we've hardly got any money left. That way we might be able to get an extra player for the money we do spend.

I should really read up on the FFP regulations. There's all sorts of concessions and lead-in times to take into consideration. You can bet Chelsea and City have got it all sorted. Surely they're not just going to ignore it.

Its going to be interesting to see how it pans out with the FFP.

UEFA can not allow clubs to flaunt it and we know Platini would love to bring the English clubs down.

I can see them making an example of a club and it wouldn't surprise me if it was someone like Man City who are unknown throughout Europe.

Like you say there will be concessions and no doubt loopholes the clubs will be trying to find.

Its going to be interesting to see how it pans out with the FFP.

UEFA can not allow clubs to flaunt it and we know Platini would love to bring the English clubs down.

I can see them making an example of a club and it wouldn't surprise me if it was someone like Man City who are unknown throughout Europe.

Like you say there will be concessions and no doubt loopholes the clubs will be trying to find.

Yeah, but the FFP laws have 'vague' wording throughout the entire fucking thing... so essentially, if UEFA says no, then it's no good, and UEFA says yes, then it's fine.

I could see City being made an example of (banning from European competition for X number of years) but no one else being bothered at all... as they'll deem their business "in the right spirit of the game".

Lance, I think they have opened the door to clubs suing each other independently of UEFA if they don't enforce it, like the legal bother West Ham got into when the PL did not punish them for fielding Tevez. I do expect it to be loosely applied initially but I don't think clubs will want to take the risk of a euro ban and/or legal difficulties now it is enshrined in law. The only thing I can see ultimately stopping it is a breakaway league, and I don't think there is any appetite for that. In five years from now, I believe every club will be compliant.

Yeah, but the FFP laws have 'vague' wording throughout the entire fucking thing... so essentially, if UEFA says no, then it's no good, and UEFA says yes, then it's fine.

I could see City being made an example of (banning from European competition for X number of years) but no one else being bothered at all... as they'll deem their business "in the right spirit of the game".

Actually having sat down and read the FFP rules, I'd suggest they are already fairly extensive and clear cut. Obviously they'll need refining as they are implemented.

The two issues relating to them that really bring them into question are that the rules are implemented by each national FA rather than UEFA. How effectively will each FA implement and observe them? Additionally, even if an individual FA flags up a club for a breach how strictly will UEFA apply the rules?

We're going to go through a period of financial observation for three years where clubs have to bring their spending into line. It will be interesting at the end of that period to see if UEFA actually start to exclude clubs from european competition straight away? I assume it will be a case of ever larger fines before they are forced to make an example of someone.

I find it staggeringly hard to believe that our new dawn, our new £58m forward line, our new £20m midfielder, our new manager and his team, and our new owners, are going to have their vision thwarted because we can't find sellers for Cole, Poulson, NGog and Aquilani.

It's just about the most rediculous interpretation of events I've heard, that we're all primed for a title push and then these pesky kids won't take less than £80,000 per week at other clubs, and we shake our fists at them and go "grrrr, why you little scamps, clear off".

If it matters to us that much, if we feel hadicapped by their very fucking presence, then let's spend the transfer budget on paying up their contracts and shifting them on, and doing that tomorrow. How much would it set us back? £15m? £20m?

Christ, if we paid half their fucking wages and transferred them for free, that's be acceptable right?

No? Why not? So we still get to keep the monkey on our back that saves us from the burden of expectation? Sounds about right.

We can get on with this or we can moan in 20 years about how David Ngog stopped us from pushing on and winning the title with Gerrard, Suarez and Carroll.

I don't know how much money we have to spend,neither,I suspect,does anyone else. I do not believe the speculation from the journalists on this matter,they know no more than we do.

I don't know which players we're in for. In the absence of information from the club all we know is what the journalists tell us. If they have no real news,they make it up,after all they do have column-inches to fill. So far,they have linked us to sixty-six players!

I don't know how near or far we are from offloading some or all of our expensive deadwood which will be a difficult exercise.

I do know that our club is,at last,conducting it's business behind closed doors in a return to "The Liverpool Way". I have no problem with that and I would not be surprised if the first we heard of an incoming player was when he was signed,just as it used to be.

I also know that The King does not appear to be worried,he has repeatedly said that the owners are prepared to back him in the transfer market. I trust Kenny and I believe him when he says this.

There is plenty of time left in the transfer window and I know that Kenny will do all he can to strengthen the squad before it closes.

All else,in the absence of concrete information from the club,is merely speculation.

Edited by Tommy Lawrence

Why do people keep going on about us not getting rid of the deadwood. People on 80K a week cost us just over 4mil in one year. Players like Jova and Cole are worth money. So I am sure we will just let them go for free and write them off as loses rather than get a fee for them if worst comes to worst. The buying team can then pay them higher wages or we can get whatever money we can for them and pay them off so they take the lower wage in another team. I am sure they are being offered to everyone and someone will bite.

Some of the deadwood will be gone soon ie. Cole and Jova. We may never get rid of Degen though.

People are going on about it because its fucking difficult to get rid of deadwood.

Its not easy to call Spurs and say "btw, you can have Cole and Jova for free" only for them to collectively demand abour 200k per fucking week. 200k!! That is 10 fucking million every year! For what exactly? Players like Modric, Van der Vaart, Lennon, Bale are on MUCH less than that and they are MILES better than Joe fucking Cole and fucking Jovanovic.

We can't sell them to the top clubs. And if clubs like Villa, Spurs, Sunderland (who couldn't agree terms with fucking N'Gog!!) don't want them due to their wages, what chance have we got?? We can shift them to Europe of course but if Jovanovic goes back to Belgium, he wouldn't get more than 25k or 30k euros per week. And why would he want to do that when he is on about £80k or £100k with us?

If you think shifting the deadwood is easy, wake up!

People are going on about it because its fucking difficult to get rid of deadwood.

Its not easy to call Spurs and say "btw, you can have Cole and Jova for free" only for them to collectively demand abour 200k per fucking week. 200k!! That is 10 fucking million every year! For what exactly? Players like Modric, Van der Vaart, Lennon, Bale are on MUCH less than that and they are MILES better than Joe fucking Cole and fucking Jovanovic.

We can't sell them to the top clubs. And if clubs like Villa, Spurs, Sunderland (who couldn't agree terms with fucking N'Gog!!) don't want them due to their wages, what chance have we got?? We can shift them to Europe of course but if Jovanovic goes back to Belgium, he wouldn't get more than 25k or 30k euros per week. And why would he want to do that when he is on about £80k or £100k with us?

If you think shifting the deadwood is easy, wake up!

It isn't as hard as you are thinking it is. We will get rid of a few of them. Just wait and be patient. I certainly don't believe we will not sign players quickly as we are worrying about off loading them.

You forget to mention the differences in taxes in England compared to other places plus the fact that players not playing regular football lose out on sponsorship deals they have when they run out. If we forgo any fee for these players then teams can pay them more as they have bought a player valued at a price for nothing.

I have heard from several people that Cole is on 80K but Jova is not on that much. There is no way he is on over 100K like people have claimed. He got a signing on fee that has either been paid or is being paid in installments. Either way it has to be paid. He is on c60K according to others and that seems about right.

And what is Ngog supposedly on? Sunderland didn't buy him as he is shite and they went for a better prospect instead in Wickham. If we were worried we could have dropped our value of him.

It isn't as hard as you are thinking it is. We will get rid of a few of them. Just wait and be patient. I certainly don't believe we will not sign players quickly as we are worrying about off loading them.

You forget to mention the differences in taxes in England compared to other places plus the fact that players not playing regular football lose out on sponsorship deals they have when they run out. If we forgo any fee for these players then teams can pay them more as they have bought a player valued at a price for nothing.

I have heard from several people that Cole is on 80K but Jova is not on that much. There is no way he is on over 100K like people have claimed. He got a signing on fee that has either been paid or is being paid in installments. Either way it has to be paid. He is on c60K according to others and that seems about right.

And what is Ngog supposedly on? Sunderland didn't buy him as he is shite and they went for a better prospect instead in Wickham. If we were worried we could have dropped our value of him.

Mate, I wish I could share your optimism on this. Put it this way, I hope you are right and I will be fucking delighted if we shifted 50% of the deadwood this summer.

Enrique future to be decided this week | Newcastle United - EatSleepSport

Enrique future to be decided this week

Last Updated: Mon, 04 Jul 2011 11:21

The future of Newcastle United's Spanish full-back José Enrique is set to be decided this week.

The 25-year-old has been the subject of much transfer speculation for the past few months and now Liverpool and Arsenal will battle it out for his signature.

Enrique, who has just entered the final year of his contract, is expected to report back for pre-season training but the chances of him still being at St James Park at the start of the season are remote.

Arsenal are known to be in the market for a left-back with Gael Clichy expected to sign for Manchester City in the coming days, while Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish identified Enrique as one of his leading targets at the end of last season.

Meanwhile, Newcastle manager Alan Pardew, who would love to keep Enrique but has given up hope of doing so, has been offered Manchester City full-back Wayne bridge.

But the former West Ham boss isn't thought to be interested and instead will continue to pursue Swansea's Neil Taylor, who he thought he had signed for £1million last month.

Mate, I wish I could share your optimism on this. Put it this way, I hope you are right and I will be fucking delighted if we shifted 50% of the deadwood this summer.

how long left on their current contracts do these guys have?

we can't have signed up Jova on an extended contract can we?

wouldn't mind if Maxi stayed to run down his contract - same with Joe Cole - as both would be useful squad players

finding it hard to believe that FSG wanting to cut the wage bill is restricting our spending this summer tho tbh

Only United have made many signings and they always act fast. We don't really make our moves early. I think everyone was just so excited with Kenny now in charge and the team looking like it has improved. Now we are just all anxious to see some signings. As each day goes by and we see our "supposed" targets being bought by others that we are fooked.

I am just going to wait and see. I believe we are being managed by the best, being coached by top coaches and we have owners that I am willing to form an opinion on no sooner than the first day of the season.

I think the media and negativity is clouding everyone's judgement. I hope I'm right as I'll be devastated if the negativity is accurate.

TheBelgWaffle The Belgian Waffle

L'Equipe says that Chris Mavinga will leave #lfc. Teams interested include Genk, Rennes and Villarreal. 1m euro price tag.

1 hour ago

Can't be bothered finding and translating the report in L'Equipe so I'll take him at his word.

TheBelgWaffle The Belgian Waffle

L'Equipe says that Chris Mavinga will leave #lfc. Teams interested include Genk, Rennes and Villarreal. 1m euro price tag.

1 hour ago

Can't be bothered finding and translating the report in L'Equipe so I'll take him at his word.

The lad was part of an U-19 european winning team and has just played in a title winning side. Surely we can get more than 1m Euro. Utd sell this sort of shit on for fortunes.

Where did you get £22m from?

In this crazy market I think Valencia should expect at least £25m, £30m if Chelsea or City are involved. Which, taking a guess, probably would put us out of the running.

The Sid Lowe interview that you were talking about on TalkSport where he said we couldn't afford Mata.

Jovanovic released without compensation according to a Serbian paper, Liverpool.no - You'll Never Walk Alone telling the story..

Hope it`s true!

Only Serbian article ive seen on it says we'd be willing to let him go for no compensation not we've released him without compensation. Not in any of the training pics I've seen mind so who knows, cant see it though or he's one great guy walking away from all that cash.

Jovanovic released without compensation according to a Serbian paper, Liverpool.no - You'll Never Walk Alone telling the story..

Hope it`s true!

Translated:

Jovanovic released?

According to reports in Serbia Liverpool have ended Milan Jovanovic's contract, without the Serb has received any compensation. As it stands, he is now free to find a new club.

By Arild Skjæveland

The Serb's Media is reporting that Milan Jovanovic has been released by Liverpool, and without any compensation. The player is reported to already be in talks with the Greek club Olympiakos.

- I am open to negotiate with Olympiakos, but I have not received any official offer yet, says Jovanovic himself.

The player who came on Bosman last summer did not appear on any of the pictures from today's training at Melwood, either in Liverpoolfc.tv or getty images. We emphasize that the reports from Serbia have not been not confirmed.