You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

Kenny Dalglish is ready to sign up a handful of new kids for the Kop – as he invests in the future.

Dalglish has jumped to the head of the queue for Caen’s 16-year-old hot-shot M’Baye Niang – and is ready to offer a stunning £10million for the young sensation.

Dalglish is looking to beat Tottenham and Manchester City in the race for Niang who has scored three times since making the first team – and will be sold to the highest bidder

Read more: Liverpool transfer news: Kenny Dalglish ready to offer £10million for M'Baye Niang of Caen as part of youth investment - News - MirrorFootball.co.uk

The start of the 2011-12 season signals the beginning of the three-year monitoring period of FFP, which enables clubs to post losses totalling no more than £45 million during that time.

And the new financial strictures are beginning to bite, with clubs no longer prepared to cut quick deals to offload unwanted players and prospective buyers more reluctant than ever to make early raids on the transfer market in order to have their new additions in place in time for the start of pre-season.

The fallout of FFP is the prime reason for the delayed start to the transfer madness this summer.

Aside from Manchester United, whose £49.8 million spending spree has largely been funded by the £80 million sale of Cristiano Ronaldo to Real Madrid two years ago, and some astute business undertaken by Newcastle and Sunderland, the Premier League transfer market has been dormant.

Clubs are now more interested in cutting waste than adding to it. One senior figure at a top-six club claimed privately last week that his team is weighed down by so many players who need to be moved on that there is not enough room for them on the plane due to carry the squad to their overseas pre-season tour.

Even Manchester City, roundly criticised for lavishing millions on fees and wages during the first two years of Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed al Nahyan’s ownership, are on a fast-track towards financial prudence in order to comply with FFP, which is why Roberto Mancini’s summer recruitment drive has yet to slip into second gear.

When he left Eastlands for Italy at the end of last season, having guided City into the Champions League, Mancini expected a raft of fringe players to have been replaced by at least three top quality arrivals by the time he returned for pre-season.

Yet Gaël Clichy is the only new face so far and he will take to the training field on Tuesday with the likes of Craig Bellamy, Emmanuel Adebayor and Wayne Bridge — three players loaned out last season and with no future under Mancini.

Adebayor’s £165,000-a-week wages are frightening potential buyers away, while interested parties such as Zenit St Petersburg and Paris St Germain have been rebuffed by the Togolese forward, who cost £25 million on arrival from Arsenal two years ago.

Similarly, there are few takers for Bellamy and Bridge, beneficiaries of the inflated salaries signed off during Mark Hughes’s reign as manager, while Roque Santa Cruz, Shaun Wright-Phillips and Shay Given are also finding their transfer valuations or wages to be too high for prospective buyers.

City, in turn, are loathe to cancel contracts and write players off. Doing so would merely add to the losses on the balance sheet.

So until Mancini can shift his shadow squad, his prospects of injecting new blood will remain compromised.

It is a similar story at Liverpool and Tottenham, where Kenny Dalglish and Harry Redknapp are under pressure to shift dead wood before recruiting new players.

Redknapp is struggling to find clubs willing to meet Tottenham’s valuation of Robbie Keane and David Bentley, while Dalglish is left with the challenge of undoing the mess caused by the panic buying during the final months of the Hicks-Gillett regime at Anfield.

Unsurprisingly, Liverpool have yet to find clubs willing to take on the six-figure weekly salaries of Joe Cole or Milan Jovanovic.

Karl Oyston, the Blackpool chairman who continues to play hardball with Liverpool over Charlie Adam, insisted last month that his club will wait until mid-August before making a concerted effort to trade in the market.

That is when panic is likely to set in, but who will blink first? The players on bloated contracts or the clubs foolish enough to pay them?

Telegraph

Who dares wins. It’s an admirable philosophy, which distils the spirit of the SAS.

It sustains undercover *heroes, but can it survive the cynicism of modern *football?

The future of Liverpool and Chelsea, as credible *contenders, depends on it.

They are rivals, but *unspoken allies, in a quiet revolution.

Liverpool have bought into the data-driven principles of Moneyball.

Chelsea have, in Andre Villas-Boas, invested in the crisp certainties of modern management techniques.

It’s a new business model, a challenge to tired old clichés, spouted by cartoon tyrants.

You’ll know the type. They demand to see your medals, stress your insignificance *because you have never played professional football.

They give jobs to the boys, and think emotional *intelligence is for girls. They trust their gut instincts, and use a fraction of their brain.

They revel in institutional ignorance and impatience. They know fans want it all, and want it now. Supporters don’t care about the *physiological, social, and *technical information that *underpins a long term *strategy.

They want bragging rights, in an age where death threats are issued on Twitter in *response to taunts about Man United winning 19 titles.

Already, in the dog days of summer, murmurs of *discontent from Anfield are building to a crescendo.

Questions about the £16m spent on Jordan Henderson are not being answered by pass-completion statistics, or GPS data, which shows he runs 13 kilometres a match.

Doubts about Andy Carroll’s rehabilitation schedule are not being addressed by *Damien Comolli’s belief in the psychological profiling of *potential recruits.

Critics see Liverpool being rejected by Connor Wickham and Gael Clichy, players at *either end of their careers.

They leap to conclusions, and apply Catch 22. Comolli is wrong because Liverpool pay inflated fees for young British players. He’s wrong because Liverpool refuse to be bullied by agents and opportunists.

He’s an obvious target. He’s caricatured as a French nerd, poring over computerised spread sheets.

His job, as Director of *Football, is perceived to be a challenge to Kenny *Dalglish.

The reality – that the *manager has the ultimate choice of signings from a shortlist of players is *overlooked.

There’s not a lot of logic being applied. Some Liverpool fans even deride Dalglish as a dinosaur, whose job should have been given to Villas-*Boas. The Portuguese prodigy was powerpoint-perfect *during his inaugural address at Stamford Bridge.

Thoughtful, lucid, and *attentive, he had a corporate sheen, and the decency to look embarrassed when he called himself the Group One.

His backroom staff includes a Mini Me, Daniel Sousa (25), who will compile *detailed *reports on *opposition.

If they are confronted by closed minds in a notoriously difficult dressing room, the grand plan unravels.

That’s the problem with *football’s New Age thinking. It is at the mercy of human *nature, and the game’s *reluctance to nurture.

If a clique forms around a powerful personality like John Terry, it must be *destroyed. That won’t be pretty or *productive in the short term. If Carroll’s off-season *odyssey, from the beaches of *Barbados to the mudflats of Glastonbury, signals a lack of professionalism, he must be challenged.

If you think that will be easy, just take a Google tour of his misadventures.

Liverpool and Chelsea have taken bold, brave *gambles, which deserve to succeed. I love the freedom of thought, the freshness of ideas promoted by Dalglish, Comolli and Villas-Boas.

But I fear for them. Too many people have too much to gain from their failure.

They should emulate the SAS, and make a surgical strike on the opposition, *before it is too late.

Read more: Michael Calvin Liverpool Chelsea Damien Comolli Andre Villas-Boas Why I hope the daring new ideas can win over footballs old guard - Michael Calvin - MirrorFootball.co.uk

NO, Stop it you utter cunt.

bloke was having a pop, i responded.....thats a bit uncalled for. Nothing wrong with posting a d mail link for christs sake....even if they do employ a wanker or two. What next, ban bbc, sky etc cos somone from the sun may have worked for them or appeared.

Oh and wash your mouth out....there are limits....banter is one thing....cunt is another

Guest Numero Veinticinco
NO, Stop it you utter cunt.

Is there a forum ban, is there a boycott from any of the Hillsborough support/justice groups? Are you okay with BBC articles being posted?

I despise the Mail and the cunt, but I don't think there's anything stopping him from posting articles, is there?

We all know and accept the sun thing but we cant ban everything/or criticise all papers. Most of them will have or have had journos that were at the sun , as the business is like musical chairs...so with the exception of the Sun/NOTW maybe, we have to take it easy or no articles will be linked to. I wasnt suporting the twat, just merely linking on a topical subject from a major broadsheet. Thank you Numero for backing me up on that....

Guest Numero Veinticinco
We all know and accept the sun thing but we cant ban everything/or criticise all papers. Most of them will have or have had journos that were at the sun , as the business is like musical chairs...so with the exception of the Sun/NOTW maybe, we have to take it easy or no articles will be linked to. I wasnt suporting the twat, just merely linking on a topical subject from a major broadsheet. Thank you Numero for backing me up on that....

I don't think we should confuse MacKenzie with other journos from those papers, he's far more significant that that. But what if he writes something for another paper, no links allowed? He's always on the BBC, links banned? I don't think it's fair to criticise somebody for posting an article that is in no way related to that scumbag.

How does the work permit thing work for Doni? I mean he isnt being capped any more(i dont think) and he is brazilian...how the hell do we swing that?

I'm sure he's been in Italy for ages. Probably qualifies for an Italian passport.

yes, i guess thats it....seems logical. IS he actually any good...i cant really recall to be fair. I like the fact that his name makes makes me wanna shout extra salad and chilli sauce though.

Couldn't tell you but he was on around 4m/year so he must have been quite good at one time.

Beantown, this will save yourself some hassle

Yea I leave that site open in tab most of the time but don't think Mirror shows up on it for some reason.

Couldn't tell you but he was on around 4m/year so he must have been quite good at one time.

Yea I leave that site open in tab most of the time but don't think Mirror shows up on it for some reason.

i have it on always but it generally does the mail, telegraph, guardian and a lot of crap i block form it. Never really see the mirror