You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Andy Carroll, what does he do?

Code

Sorry to start another thread, but the transfer threadon Carroll is to long and this is more about the player and his qualities.

So who is our new signing and what qualities does he have which can help us both in the short and the loing term.

The one thing most people know is that he has had a great season so far in the PL scoring 11 goals in 19 games, 18 starts.

So lets take a look at his stats and see if they can tell us something.

10/11:

PL: 19 (18+1)matches - 11 goals - 3 assists

Great return for such a young player in an average team like Newcastle, he does not take penalties either and that makes his starts even better compared to most others on top of the top scorer chart.

Right foot: 6 goals

Left foot: 1 goal

Head: 4 goals

He can score goals with both his feet and his head (obviously), thats promising and it tells me he is far from one dimensional.

Torres numbers from this season is 8 goals with his right and 1 with his left, no headers.

Right 6 yard box: 3 goals

Right pen box: 1 goal

Mid pen box: 3 goals

Left channel: 3 goals

Right channel: 1 goal

He can score from every position and he is not just a danger inside the box, he has scored most of his goals inside the box to the right, what this means is difficult to tell but it could be he prefer crosses from the left, especiallt with his head but it could also mean thats the side Newcastle have attacked down most of the time.

Torres has scored 8 of his 9 goals this season inside the box so carroll will give us more options.

He has also scored 4 goals outside the box and thats promising, that means defenders cant just back off him and this will create space for a player like Suarez among others.

Shots: 75

Shots on goal: 26

He is not afraid to release a shot, that can mean two things his self esteem is great or he is a bit selfish, but if we compare it with Torres we can see he has taken 89 shots and hitntarget 31 times this season so fairly similar numbers really.

I`m optimistic, without really studying Carroll the impression I have is that he is fearless, he is good with the ball at his feet for a big man, he has got pace and he is a monster in the air.

With players like Suarez, Meireles, Gerrard and Maxi who all like to get into the box I can see a lot of positives, Carroll will get the attention and this will create space for others.

With the added bonus of his ability in the air at defensive set pieces, I have to say I`m really looking forward to this.

If those who have studied him more than myself could give a better view from actually having studied him that would be much appreciated.

Onwards and upwards.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I consider him the most exciting English player since Rooney. (Hope he doesn't go down his route though!)

If he gets his head sorted, make no mistake, he will be a beast of a player for us.

Wingers are a must in the summer, though we've been saying that for years haven't we?

I consider him the most exciting English player since Rooney. (Hope he doesn't go down his route though!)

If he gets his head sorted, make no mistake, he will be a beast of a player for us.

Wingers are a must in the summer, though we've been saying that for years haven't we?

Me too, the last thing we need is a player who shags old prossers.

He could well be a complete centre forward with the right coaching - and who better to do that than Kenny? He scores all types of goals and his strength and height must be a nightmare for defenders. If he can strike up an understanding with Suarez and we can bring in some players with good delivery (Adam, Young) then we will have a hugely potent attack next season.

Sorry to start another thread, but the transfer threadon Carroll is to long and this is more about the player and his qualities.

So who is our new signing and what qualities does he have which can help us both in the short and the loing term.

The one thing most people know is that he has had a great season so far in the PL scoring 11 goals in 19 games, 18 starts.

So lets take a look at his stats and see if they can tell us something.

10/11:

PL: 19 (18+1)matches - 11 goals - 3 assists

Great return for such a young player in an average team like Newcastle, he does not take penalties either and that makes his starts even better compared to most others on top of the top scorer chart.

Right foot: 6 goals

Left foot: 1 goal

Head: 4 goals

He can score goals with both his feet and his head (obviously), thats promising and it tells me he is far from one dimensional.

Torres numbers from this season is 8 goals with his right and 1 with his left, no headers.

Right 6 yard box: 3 goals

Right pen box: 1 goal

Mid pen box: 3 goals

Left channel: 3 goals

Right channel: 1 goal

He can score from every position and he is not just a danger inside the box, he has scored most of his goals inside the box to the right, what this means is difficult to tell but it could be he prefer crosses from the left, especiallt with his head but it could also mean thats the side Newcastle have attacked down most of the time.

Torres has scored 8 of his 9 goals this season inside the box so carroll will give us more options.

He has also scored 4 goals outside the box and thats promising, that means defenders cant just back off him and this will create space for a player like Suarez among others.

Shots: 75

Shots on goal: 26

He is not afraid to release a shot, that can mean two things his self esteem is great or he is a bit selfish, but if we compare it with Torres we can see he has taken 89 shots and hitntarget 31 times this season so fairly similar numbers really.

I`m optimistic, without really studying Carroll the impression I have is that he is fearless, he is good with the ball at his feet for a big man, he has got pace and he is a monster in the air.

With players like Suarez, Meireles, Gerrard and Maxi who all like to get into the box I can see a lot of positives, Carroll will get the attention and this will create space for others.

With the added bonus of his ability in the air at defensive set pieces, I have to say I`m really looking forward to this.

If those who have studied him more than myself could give a better view from actually having studied him that would be much appreciated.

Onwards and upwards.

Good work.

I tried to outline his overall positives to a few mates who just laughed me off. I reckon he'll justify the price tag and then some.

Looking forward to him and Suarez playing together. Going to be fun seeing them hit it off.

Why compare to Torres? He's a completely different type of player who will play a completely different role in a completely different tactical system.

He is a more like a mobile Peter Crouch; who is better in the air; but probably not quite as good a finisher.

Thats debatable. Have you seen Crouch lately? His finishing has been woeful to say the least, and Carroll's finishing has looked pretty good.

I didn't realise Carroll was left footed until yesterday, that is gonna be a handy tool to have imo

Why compare to Torres? He's a completely different type of player who will play a completely different role in a completely different tactical system.

He is a more like a mobile Peter Crouch; who is better in the air; but probably not quite as good a finisher.

I did not really do that at first but then I checked Torres shots and shots on goal ratio and since they were similar I wanted to see if it was possible to highlight any other differences between them based on the stats and the one about from where he has scored his goals is the most interesting one for me.

Its a shame the premierleague.com dont do offside stats anymore because I always find that interesting when looking at attacking players trying to find patterns bt looking at their stats.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Thats debatable. Have you seen Crouch lately? His finishing has been woeful to say the least, and Carroll's finishing has looked pretty good.

I didn't realise Carroll was left footed until yesterday, that is gonna be a handy tool to have imo

Not seen Crouch recently. But you maybe right, his finishing was inconsistent.

I did not really do that at first but then I checked Torres shots and shots on goal ratio and since they were similar I wanted to see if it was possible to highlight any other differences between them based on the stats and the one about from where he has scored his goals is the most interesting one for me.

Its a shame the premierleague.com dont do offside stats anymore because I always find that interesting when looking at attacking players trying to find patterns bt looking at their stats.

espnsoccernet.com has offside stats but you have to drill down to each game.

TBH With big questions like this stats are useless IMO. Whether he's a a 1 in 10 or 1 in 8 finisher is bye the bye. The key thing is going to be that it'll be easier to build a team around him that plays in a style that suits the PL.

I think Andy Carroll is a very good player, who at 22 is only going to improve.

I keep seeing "Duncan Ferguson with a ponytail." He's not a big grock who you just launch the ball to. Watch his goal against us in December - he dropped deep for the ball, which was hit into feet. He then laid it off out wide, and took up a position outside the box before rifling it, admittedly under no pressure.

He's an absolute menace in the air, he absolutely battered the Greek lummox, who can do one thing and one thing only, which is head. He's strong, hard to get the ball off, holds it up well. His link up play with Gerrard should be a site to behold, and Suarez as well.

He's also deceptively skillful. I've seen him go past people with a bit of a burst of pace before hitting shots. He's got the potential to be like Alan Shearer. And I can't think of a better man to assist him in this matter than Kenneth Matteson Dalglish.

Two things I forgot to include in the opening post.

From his 11 goals he has scored 6 from open play and 5 from set pieces, very good balance in other words and among the strikers he is a bit unique.

The other players to have scored more than 3 goals from set pieces, not including penalties are:

Nolan 5

Cahill 3

Hangeland 3

Dempsey 3

Huth 3

Ridgewell 3

Hernandez 3

Gams Pedersen 3

When it comes to goals scored home or away its also fairly balanced with 7 at home and 4 away.

Only 3 players have scored more than him away from home

Tevez 7

Elmander 6

DJ Campbell 5

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1