You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Andy Carroll, what does he do?

Code

Im really pleased with this signing if for no other reason than he is a big tough player who wont hide at places like Wigan or Stoke and will occupy 2 defenders all game long leaving acres of space for Suarez, Gerrard or Meirles to rifle in hat fulls of goals and send us to Dublin and 4th place!!

The fact he chip in with hopefully 15-20 a season himself is a bonus!!

I've watched a few Newcastle games this season, and I'll throw in the following:

He's a real handful in the air. Gave Vidic real problems back in August, and he is even better in the box than you would suspect. He has no qualms in attacking the ball (which has been a big problem for us the last decade, as people like Crouch and even Sami would mostly win headers at the back post, same with Kyrgiakos), which makes us a quite different proposition on attacking set pieces. Those few that have bothered to read my posts know about my annoyance at our failure at both defending and attacking set pieces. I had real high hopes for the attacking ones until the Adam deal fell through, but even Gerrard should be able to hit Carroll's head once in a while;-). As Code mentions, our defending of set pieces will improve as well, which will certainly annoy someone (bringing a striker back to defend I mean), but with our lack our height/aerial ability it's an absolute must at the moment, especially vs teams that rely on set pieces.

In "open play" he will give us the opportunity to gradually move our team towards the opposition goal. I don't think we will have to use "route one" (even if Carra will be tempted), as he's more than capable of keeping the ball up with his feet. He's not the most technically gifted forward in the league, those bringing Crouch into the discussion, that's the one area where Crouchie is better than Carroll imo. He will however not be muscled all the way back to the midfield when collecting the ball, he will simply make contact with the defender and keep him at arms length. He's pretty good at shielding the ball, so a big, big improvement on our previous 8-10 strikers (can't remember anyone being good at this for us for the last 20 years tbf - Riedle perhaps. Heskey the days he would stand on his feet I suppose....).

I seriously believe Carroll will be a huge hit for us. Old-fashioned maybe, but he will give us a presence up top that I really can't remember us having. I agree with the sentiments that a winger or two with pace and dribbling/crossing ability would come in handy, but I don't think it's an absolute must. Think how many times Kelly and Johnson have got into crossing positions in our last couple of games, and imagine Carroll being on the end of those crosses instead of Maxi, Meirelles and even Torres (who seems to have lost a little bit of spring in his step as well as a bit of his blistering pace). I think the way Kenny has us using the fullbacks is the way Rafa wanted to go. It's not a big problem if Kuyt and Maxi drifts inside as long as the fullbacks overlap and whip in a decent cross. If we can get that winger we've been craving for for the last 10 years it will of course make him even more effective, but with Kelly, Johnson and even Aurelio we should be well stocked to supply the big man. I'd actually be tempted to use all three of them, as Aurelio's set pieces are far better than Gerrards, and I think we should get the most out of them when we for once will have an advantage in that area. I'm not saying go down the route of Stoke and Bolton of old, but definately spend some more time on it. I seem to remember something like 30 pct of all goals in the PL come from set pieces, daft not to work on them then, isn't it Woy?

His left foot is powerful and he seems comfortable with his right as well. I think his biggest attribute is his play inside the box, though, where he's an absolute menace and will not give the defenders a moment rest. His height means he's likely to get on the end of most balls inside the 16yard box.

I have one big concern about him, and that's his professionalism. I'm not really questioning it per se, I'm just worried that with his big frame, he'll be hard to get back into shape if he has an injury of any length. We'll get a first glimpse of that now I guess... If he can keep himself lean and fit and stay clear of injuries and trouble off the pitch, he'll have a huge impact on our short/medium term future.

Pretty sure your facts are billy bullshit. He's left footed and scored two with his left against Villa in the same match

It might be but I got them from the official PL site, so I decided to stick with them even if there is another site I use who had it differently.

Player Profile | Andrew Carroll

The alternative version goes like this.

Right foot: 2

Left foot: 4

Head: 5

and its taken from this site.

http://www.premiersoccerstats.com/epl.html

• Upvote 1

£35 million is the cost of David Villa (a player with an almost 1 in 1 goal scoring ratio at international level) ffs - the panic purchase of Carroll is a total waste of money. Pardew and Ashley must have seen Dalglish and the MUG stamped on his forehead from a mile away. Just watch as Carroll is found out by the better Prem defenders and any decent defenders in Europe.

£35 million is the cost of David Villa (a player with an almost 1 in 1 goal scoring ratio at international level) ffs - the panic purchase of Carroll is a total waste of money. Pardew and Ashley must have seen Dalglish and the MUG stamped on his forehead from a mile away. Just watch as Carroll is found out by the better Prem defenders and any decent defenders in Europe.

44 in 70 is NOWHERE NEAR 1 in 1.

David Villa? You mean the near 30 year old (admittedly outstanding) Spaniard who didn't want to play outside Spain despite reported interest? The David Villa who wanted to test himself at the very highest level with a team competing for ALL the top honours, alongside fellow World Cup winning national teammates who can lay chances on a plate? David Villa who can count the world's best player as a passing option? THAT David Villa? With your pearls of wisdom it's a wonder you haven't post more often, despite being on here as long as I have.

I think we all agree Carroll is overpriced, particularly given his level of inexperience. However, I don't think the fee is nearly as high as that bandied about in the press, but it serves the purpose for Newcastle to say it's an offer they couldn't refuse, and for us as a statement of how we are prepared to act quickly and decisively in the transfer market. I actually think the fee is £25m with add-ons, for what it's worth.

What has Villa's desire not to leave Spain got to do the point matey? Are you that thick you think Carroll is worth the same as Villa - that he is anything like or will be anything like the same player? In terms of cost/talent LFC have been MUGGED by a stupid panic buy. Why not buy him in the summer?

That was my main point: Carroll has been vastly OVERPRICED by any measure you care to make. Villa's transfer fee is just one example. LFC could have bought a decent striker (or even Carroll) in the summer for a SANE fair price. Perhaps your OK with LFC being ripped off? Being mugged by the likes of no-marks like Mike Ashley and Pardew fills me with dread at the chaos that must be LFC long-term management/strategy.

What has Villa's desire not to leave Spain got to do the point matey? Are you that thick you think Carroll is worth the same as Villa - that he is anything like or will be anything like the same player? In terms of cost/talent LFC have been MUGGED by a stupid panic buy. Why not buy him in the summer?

That was my main point have Carroll has been vastly OVERPRICED by any measure you care to make. Villa's transfer fee is just one example. LFC could have bought a decent striker (or even Carroll) in the summer for a SANE fair price. Perhaps your OK with LFC being ripped off?

I suggest you pay more attention during your English lesson tomorrow, right after you've licked the window.