You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest PurpleNose
Is this a fucking trick question?

No it isn't.

If every single team in the Premier League apart from us suddenly got disqualified and we won the league with 7 points would Hodgson have done a good job?

didn't get tonked by arsenal in the semi of the CL in 2006 lost 1 - 0 at the emirates and drew 0 - 0 at home and remember Lehmans last minute penalty save to take it into extra time..

sorry to be pedantic

is correct , my error, it was 4-1 in the knockout stages a couple of seasons later. After losing the semi's they finished 7th in La Liga.

i think Pellegrini has the makings of a great manager but i can understand the reservations about him. If Hodgson does go then we need to be looking at someone with experience of the Premier League and a record of winning top line trophies in Europe.

Guest PurpleNose
But you see people are criticising Hodgson for this. Can you imagine if Hodgson or rafa for that matter had signed the sort of players he signed at RM and finished second what some posters on here would be saying.

In essence I agree with your last statement .

I'm think if Hodgson had taken Fulham to second in the league people may have a little more faith in him, especially playing the kind of football Villarreal did.

I'd like to think most posters on here would know that the manager of Real Madrid has very little say in who they sign. It really isn't in Pellegrini's nature to sign a collection of overpriced gigantic egos.

Real Madrid only have a manager because they have to. The place is a fucking circus.

But you see people are criticising Hodgson for this. Can you imagine if Hodgson or rafa for that matter had signed the sort of players he signed at RM and finished second what some posters on here would be saying.

In essence I agree with your last statement .

Thats just it though, he didn't sign those players though did he. Perez did. And no matter how fantastic those players are individually, its not goin to work if they dont fit into the way the manager wants his team play. It could well end up being too much of one type of player and not enough of another in the managers eyes and that could cause a problem in its self.

i think Pellegrini has the makings of a great manager but i can understand the reservations about him. If Hodgson does go then we need to be looking at someone with experience of the Premier League and a record of winning top line trophies in Europe.

And you can just fuck off with that coming on here and talking sense.

No it isn't.

If every single team in the Premier League apart from us suddenly got disqualified and we won the league with 7 points would Hodgson have done a good job?

Did that happen to Madrid?

What you'e actually asking is the following:

Who did a better job? The manager who finished second, or the manager who won the title?

To which the answer is: What are you? Some kind of fucking retard?

Guest PurpleNose

Ferguson, Hiddink, Ancelotti or Mourinho then.

I'm think if Hodgson had taken Fulham to second in the league people may have a little more faith in him, especially playing the kind of football Villarreal did.

I'd like to think most posters on here would know that the manager of Real Madrid has very little say in who they sign. It really isn't in Pellegrini's nature to sign a collection of overpriced gigantic egos.

Real Madrid only have a manager because they have to. The place is a fucking circus.

Are you suggesting that Mourinho didn't want to buy Khedira, Ozul or Di Maria?

Thats fair enough, but could you name anyone who fits the bill?

I can only think of three, Rafa, Mourinho and Hiddink.

Ideally yes but the short list would be extremely small. Mourinho would be on there and by your criteria so would Benitez. Hiddink and Ramos as well can't think of many more names..

Isn't that like saying Fulhams side cost less than ours and he got them to a Europa final and their highest ever PL finish though?

Does finishing 2nd years ago on a tight budget qualify him enough as our manager?

No it isn't, if Hodgson had finished in the top 4 and got to a champions league semi-final, then his achievements would be equal to Pelligrini's.

You've got to look at the situations both of them found themselves in, and how they coped.

Pelligrini did far better than Hodgson, with a smaller budget too.

I know how much you rate him but, at the end of the day, he's not got the track record for me personally. Real Madrid may be a circus but I think they now have the ringmaster and I believe that they will win La Liga this year. As for the signings he made (or Perez) there's a quote somewhere from him about signing the best if you want to be the best after getting Kaka.

Red Shadow, while it may fill some romantic novels for some people in a kind of happily ever after Grimms Fairytale story Rafa coming back here, the reality is somewhat different. As long as Purslow, Stevie and Carra (who will probably have a job for life ala Roy Evans, Ronnie Moran) remain at the club, the Rafa return ain't happening pal.

And with his closest ally at boardroom level in the club, Tom "Rafa's a great guy" Hicks, hopefully being forced out too, it further lessens rather than increases the likelihood of him returning. Which just goes to show why you should never make Faustian pacts with the devil!

Guest TK-421

I would have reservations over Pellegrini. I think his work at Villarreal has to be looked at in the context of them having the third highest wage bill in Spain at the time, which they did. Their squad may have cost a similar amount to Fulham's in terms of transfer fees but they were paying big wages.

Anyway, it's too early to have this discussion so I won't have it.

The yanks are going to speak to Torres in order to try to keep him at the club, now what do you think he'll say about Hodgson and his tactics......?

He did not receiving much support up front under Rafa, (the exeption is the first season when we had the Alonso/Gerrard/Torres combo)now under Hodgson it's a joke...... (We defend so deep the midfield is nowhere to be seen when he gets the ball)

Who do you think will have to go - Hodgson or Torres?

It's bye bye Hodgson, and that will be for the good of the club....

If we want a club to be run the liverpool way and play the liverpool way, then we need a manager who actually want to do so....

Roy has never played attacking football, never played pass and move football - defend, kick, run is his style of football....

If we want edge of the seat stuff he needs to go...

If we want to keep our best players he needs to go....

If we want to attrack the best players he needs to go....

And don't give me this "we're not Newcastle crap", if we fire Hodgson early we rectify our mistake in hiring him before to much damage is done, I'd rather call it the exeption that confims the rule (we give managers time)as the saying goes.....

I think Pellegrini is a far better manager than Hodgson and he's done well in a very tough Spanish League.

He isn't one of the best managers in the world, but he's probably the best available. All the best manaers in the world are in secure jobs or have recently taken charge of their teams.