You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we're talking about managers that have won top level trophies then the only one i can think of that hasn't been mentioned is frank rijkaard.

Attacking football, and has won the champions league and spanish league.

Rijkaard hasn't done so well at his current club has he? In fact he hasn't done all that well since he split from Henk Ten Cate. Rather like Benitez+Pako. Klinsmann+Loew.

Hodgson should leave under current owners.......he hasn't given the team the lift that new manager normally brings (first 10 games). For that reason I am out.

If the sale goes through and money is made available then I can see no reason why they won't go after a manager with a proven track record of success. If the owners are 'winners' then they won't be waititng until January to get rid. Particularly if, after the next few games, results have not improved.

Is there anyone out there that we haven't touched upon that could step into the role at LFC and succeed? We're all shouting about somewhat known commodoties, but is there a young hotshot out there (perhaps the Athletico Mgr) who could be a solution? Someone with the swagger and confidence to let the hounds off the leash and get the team moving forward?

I've been racking my brains since it was clear Rafa was going and I still can't come up with a manager who I really want and who is likely to come.

We'll hire Lippi and he'll tell Bascombe to fuck right off in his first interview.

Just for clarities sake.

Rafa or Roy - Rafa

Kenny or Roy - Kenny

Pellegrini or Roy - Pellegrini

Kenny to take over temporary while the new owners find a new manager(Not English, sorry i just dont rate any of them atm), someone young enough to built a dynasty, proven track record, open to new ideas/tactic, recognise youth development is the way forward(local or foreign).

Why kenny?

Would unite most of the already splitted fans, fans will be more patient, understand liverpool & would not spout negativity in every conference(Unlike Roy).

If we lose 9 points then I would sack Roy straight away - he has already dropped 15 points this season and I have no confidence on us going on a winning run to get ourselves out of this monster shit storm we will find ourselves in. Get the ownership situation sorted out first, the sack Roy. In that order, but in very quick succession.

He has shown nothing in his management career with us so far to suggest that he was the right appointment. Nothing. There is not one thing that we can point to and say 'well that's a positive'.

New ownership gives everyone an out, as mentioned earlier in this thread. Let him go, pay him his money and big him up for the England job.

Not even close to being of the requisite quality to manage Liverpool.

Kenny and Pellegrini would have to be the main candidates right now, I should think. If it was the latter it would probably have to be a longer-term arrangement, so we'd have to have real faith in him and give him time. If it was Kenny we could look at it as a temporary arrangement. It could be presented as him doing it on a caretaker basis initially whilst we find someone new for next season, but if he did really well we could also keep him on.

Kenny and Pellegrini would have to be the main candidates right now, I should think. If it was the latter it would probably have to be a longer-term arrangement, so we'd have to have real faith in him and give him time. If it was Kenny we could look at it as a temporary arrangement. It could be presented as him doing it on a caretaker basis initially whilst we find someone new for next season, but if he did really well we could also keep him on.

I agree the two stand out candidates are Kenny and Pellegrini, appointing Kenny as 'caretaker' manager probably wouldn't have as steadying an effect as just naming him manager.

Broughton confirms Hodgson release clause

By Harry Harris, Football Correspondent

Liverpool chairman Martin Broughton has confirmed to ESPNsoccernet that the future of manager Roy Hodgson following a takeover is catered for in the provisions of his contract.

Prospective owners New England Sports Ventures (NESV), led by John W Henry, plans to sit down with Hodgson once the deal is complete to discuss his vision for Liverpool's future.

The men who own the Boston Red Sox have no immediate plans to install their own manager but Broughton was brutally honest about the situation Hodgson now faces, and how Hodgson entered into his Liverpool contract with his eyes wide open.

In an exclusive interview with ESPNsoccernet, Broughton revealed: "Roy knew when he signed up from Fulham that we were in the process of finding new owners, it was not a surprise to him. He was fully reconciled with the possibility there would be an ownership chance and the risk involved with that.

"But Roy is self confident and was, when he signed up, confident he was capable of doing the job at Liverpool. With that in mind provisions were made in Roy's contract to relate specifically to any change in ownership."

The 'break clause' in Hodgson's contract was revealed by ESPNsoccernet this week, although even then there were no hints that a change in manager was being planned immediately.

"I suggested that the clause relates to Hodgson being paid a full year's salary within 28 days should the new owners want to bring in their own manager," Broughton commented: "I don't have Roy's contract in front of me, so I can't comment on that, but it is something like that in his contract.

"But he came to the club knowing full well the circumstances and the risks attached to it."

Hodgson will have to prove himself to the new owners. Broughton added: "I would full expect Roy to continue as manager and there has been no indication to me to suggest otherwise. However, as we all know, at the end of the day, everything depends on results."

Clicky

I think it's fair to say that Roy is a dead man walking. Personally, he'll have done well to survive past the Everton game should we lose that match. I am more and more optimistic that he'll be gone before Christmas.