You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson has takeover release clause | Football News | ESPN.co.uk

ESPNsoccernet can reveal that Roy Hodgson has a specific break clause in his Liverpool contract that allows the club to replace him if there is a change in ownership of the club.

Hodgson signed the contract in the summer knowing that his future would be immediately on the agenda, without or without the 'escape clause' loaded on Liverpool's side.

However, ESPNsoccernet also understands that a pay-off is part of the same clause and Hodgson would expect to be compensated in full.

However, it can also be disclosed that the prospective new owners from the States have so far given no indication whatsoever about the future of Hodgson and the three man delegation from the owners of the Boston Red Sox parent company have yet to meet the manager. So far, though, the earlier indicators are that Hodgson will not be replaced.

The subject of Hodgson's future has not been part of the negotiations between New England Sports Venture (NESV) and chairman Martin Broughton.

A Liverpool spokesman said: "There's a commitment to the manager. They are very happy that this manager is the right person to take the club forward."

The present board appointed Hodgson, so would give him time to prove himself, but the attitude of the new owners so far unknown. However, past experiences show that new owners give the incumbent manager some time to prove himself before contemplating a change. How long that would be would depend on the results in the next few games.

An insider told ESPNsoccernet: "The new owners haven't met the manager yet, they are sure to want to sit down with him, talk to him and see if they can work with him.

"But in all the discussions it has never been raised, the issue of perhaps replacing the manager, it certainly hasn't come up in conversation."

Hodgson has welcomed news of the planned sale of the club.

"It's very positive and of course I'm delighted,'' he said. "It's been going on a long time and I know how hard the board have worked to set things up.

"I know it's not easy for them because the owners have other ideas in terms of the sale of the club and what is achievable.

"But I was delighted to hear the news and have it confirmed that it looks like it is going to go through.''

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, they were all queueing up to take the job before the season so I assume it'll be the same if he's sacked, NOT.

I think the last owners fuckign the club up was the reason not many top managers wanted the job. I think a few good managers would love the chance to revive our fortunes under a good ownership. Guess they might wait to see what the owners are actually like, though.

One who's a lot better than Roy, imo, wanted it. Pellegrini.

I would think they would want to get the lay of the land before making any change. It does however take away the stigma of sacking him after the end of one year. Truth is whats the difference between say 17th and 9th, nothing. If he can get us into Europe it will be an achievement but they could still clean house and get in "their" man and it would be understandable, in fact expected.

I think the last owners fuckign the club up was the reason not many top managers wanted the job. I think a few good managers would love the chance to revive our fortunes under a good ownership. Guess they might wait to see what the owners are actually like, though.

One who's a lot better than Roy, imo, wanted it. Pellegrini.

I think the possibility has opened up once again. It would be remiss of the new owners not to look at all of the options now available.

I want him gone now. At least with a new better manager (who we could actually get now we're seemingly not crippled with debt) we COULD get CL footy next season and have a small chance of keeping Torres.

If we don't get it, he'll be gone in the summer and it will be back to square one in terms of playing staff even if these Yanks have loads of money.

Roy just isn't good enough, didn't want Rafa, don't want Roy. Bring Kenny in for fucks sake please Henry.

As I said in another thread a few days ago, I wouldn't be at all surprised if a new owner put Dalglish in as manager for the remainder of the season so they'd get an immediate bump with the fans and would then have time to get their own man in by the summer.

Yes, they were all queueing up to take the job before the season so I assume it'll be the same if he's sacked, NOT.

Different circumstances. Should the deal go through this month, 4th place would be a realistic expectation for any manager next season.