You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Milton keynes: shite or good?

Juniper

I've been offered a job in MK, (pending vetting procedures), that I hope to start toward the end of this month or the start of next.

Having read through this thread, I was wondering if there were any changes or further opinions of living in MK, specifically the Shenley Wood area?

Had a quick browse on Rightmove for rental properties, but if anyone was to have a letting agent that they would recommend I have a look at, then it would be greatly appreciated.

Is the job at FCO in Hanslope by any chance? My place are doing their IT.

Don't know a great deal about Shenley Wood, Shenley Lodge is nice and think Wood might be nicer but can't be sure. Like TK says it'll be a little suburb with a park and a couple shops and anything more will require a drive or bike ride.

As for letting agents the only one I dealt with talked me into buying rather than letting, so not much advice there I'll ask for you though.

Is the job at FCO in Hanslope by any chance? My place are doing their IT.

Don't know a great deal about Shenley Wood, Shenley Lodge is nice and think Wood might be nicer but can't be sure. Like TK says it'll be a little suburb with a park and a couple shops and anything more will require a drive or bike ride.

As for letting agents the only one I dealt with talked me into buying rather than letting, so not much advice there I'll ask for you though.

Avoid Alan Francis and Stratfords (Letting agents), Taylors is supposed to be OK.

The job is with Produban, who are the IT arm of Santander.

I've primarily been looking for property in and around the office that I'll be working in. As I don't drive, it limits me somewhat, so I've been checking out rentals in the Shenley area. There's a few places in Emerson Valley and it seems likely that it'll be there or thereabouts that I finally end up.

Thanks for the tips regarding letting agents.

I've primarily been looking for property in and around the office that I'll be working in. As I don't drive, it limits me somewhat, so I've been checking out rentals in the Shenley area. There's a few places in Emerson Valley and it seems likely that it'll be there or thereabouts that I finally end up.

My brother used to work there and I worked on that contract when it was with Computacenter and know a few people there. Small world.

My brother used to work there and I worked on that contract when it was with Computacenter and know a few people there. Small world.

Yep. There's a contractor there who I worked with at Zurich around 10 years ago. I've been half expecting to run into former colleagues, either as rival candidates, or as potential new workmates, (again).

• Upvote 1

If you intend moving back up north have you thought about buying even if it is short term? House prices are moving upwards and it tends to ripple out from London and the SE. You could get very lucky.

• Upvote 1

If you intend moving back up north have you thought about buying even if it is short term? House prices are moving upwards and it tends to ripple out from London and the SE. You could get very lucky.

Not in a position to buy, at the moment. Plus, the contract is only for 6 months initially, so wouldn't want to throw all my eggs into the one basket.

It seems fair to say from this forum at least that when people pass through MK they aren't impressed. Most who stay for a while see it's charms after a while.

The roundabouts are a good thing, honestly

Yep. Rem's negged me twice for my opinions on here, which are based not on a fleeting visit, but on a stint working at Barclaycard, so be careful what you say. I'm just not an identikit cheaply constructed housing estate sort of guy. Deathly stuff, just the sort of lifestyle that S31 rails against so eloquently so often. Plenty go for it though - it takes all sorts.

• 1 month later...

Been in MK for just about a month now - ended up in Two Mile Ash. Not explored at all, but it seems like a normal town to me. No worse, or better, than Swindon (where I lived for many years).

In fact, that's a lie, anywhere is better than Swindon!

• 2 years later...