You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Milton keynes: shite or good?

Juniper

It's funny how the English turn their noses up at other towns and cities (and often their own too), yet I find the places that tend to be the most aloof - like London and Manchester - are the places I'd least like to live.

People who rave about them ask you to ignore the evidence of your eyes and ears at every step. 

"This part of London is called 'Hell', it's very up and coming and is only two hours away from a nice part of London on the Tube."

3 hours ago, Section_31 said:

It's funny how the English turn their noses up at other towns and cities (and often their own too), yet I find the places that tend to be the most aloof - like London and Manchester - are the places I'd least like to live.

People who rave about them ask you to ignore the evidence of your eyes and ears at every step. 

"This part of London is called 'Hell', it's very up and coming and is only two hours away from a nice part of London on the Tube."

London is a nice enough place to visit and that is how it seems to be designed,for visitors,but I too wouldn't (nor couldn't afford to) live there. Most people even seem to commute there and live outside the actual City and in all those housing estates and small towns melded into Greater London. Like Manchester,it must have stolen it's surrounds so as to become bigger. 

3 hours ago, Section_31 said:

it is a bit like that.  Though those up and coming areas usually do up and come.  The net effect is that the working classes are increasingly pushed out to the areas that no-one wants to live (yet).  But places like Brixton, Peckham, Streatham etc are being gentrified beyond recognition and those that are not living in council blocks are being chased out.  Soon enough, the councils will be made a. Offer they can’t refuse to sell the blocks for demolition and redevelopment, with tenants being moved further into the Kent and Essex badlands