You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Milton keynes: shite or good?

Juniper

What's it like? Is anyone on from there? Or live there?

Mrs jnp has been offered a job there and we're weighing up our options between her staying there in a b&b during the week before driving the 2hours back to our house on the weekends, or renting out our house and both, eventually, moving there. In her industry jobs are tough to come by, so it looks like she's going to take their offer.

What's it like? Any good? Or worth staying where we are full time now and swerve it?

It's where Remmie lives, so i reckon it must be ace.

Remmie, hear my call!!!

Yeah Remmie Lives there and I live about 6 miles away.

Lots of cows.

Where is the job that she has been offered mate?

Brilliant, I love cows me. Not sure of the exact area. I'll have to ask her later as it's not in the centre. Out in the sticks somewhere.

They have an ace snow dome place and an ikea of doom. Hope this helps

hmmmm I might have to visit the place.

It's a fucking hole, mate!

What does your Mrs do? Jobs can't be THAT scarce that you'd entertain moving to MILTON KEYNES surely?

No offence, Remmie. But your home town is fucking shit.

interesting insight there Tom

She's a graphic designer/package designer.

All the jobs in the area mostly seem to be in/near London. She's been for a handful of interviews in the capital but not a single offer. This is the first offer in nearly three months of looking.

We're kinda desperate for her to start earning asap. So maybe it might have to be a short term solution.

I live near Oxford and have friends that live there and Northampton.

MK is a massive building site, thousand upon thousand of modern little houses on tiny plots.

The highlight of MK is its shopping centre which tells you most of what you need to know.

MK has no soul or any culture but its not a bad place to live. It seems like most of the decent jobs end up in MK. If you want to live a few miles outside MK the house prices are steep until you get to Oxford where they are mental.

A lot of companies have folded in MK but the job situation is still not that bad.

In my book there are loads of worse places to live. LOADS

Just got back from my mate's there last week. Fuckload of roundabouts, easy to get lost because everywhere looks the same. Plenty of places to work, sufficient amenities and the people are pleasant enough (few knobs obviously). Pretty bland and unremarkable, but not especially unpleasant. As greenoak says, far worse places to live.

The Snowdome is class. If you like that sort of thing.

On a serious note, no matter how shit it is, she needs to take the job. Jobs like that are hard to come by so she needs to grab it. I spent 2 years in an absolute shithole in my first job as it was a means to an end. Just work it out the living arrangements between you the best you can.

I reckon it's always easier to get a job when you've already got one. Worst case scenario just treat it as a CV building exercise.

Even if it's as shit as it sounds, Monday to Friday graft, then spend your weekends in Oxford/London/back home/ wherever.

Right, ignore every opinion you've read so far, because none of the other people live here as far as I'm aware. I love it here and have lived elsewhere but came back. It has it's problems like everywhere but I think the positives outweigh the negatives. For a start, location-wise it is ideal. It is equidistant from Birmingham and London, Oxford and Cambridge. You can get to about 6 airports within 2 hours. It has a major train station and joins straight on to the motorway.

The usual complaints are always the same - concrete city: because it's a new town, there are always new buildings and residential areas being built, meaning state of the art, modern homes are abundant. However, anyone who has been to the city will tell you how remarkably green it is with trees everywhere and a huge park right next to the shopping centre. There are also pedestrian/cycle paths everywhere so you can walk through wooded areas and fields instead of streets. Other complaints - no soul/culture: fair point I suppose, new town so no history, just one of those delightfully intangible whinges, so hard to put into context. If 'soul' is a deal breaker in terms of where you want to live then maybe live somewhere else, I personally prefer low crime and unemployment.

Too many roundabouts: this is a positive and is a result of well thought out infrastructure. One road is shut, it only takes a small detour to get round it, traffic does exist but is on a far smaller scale then other towns.

People tend to come for the shopping centre as it's massive and we have an entertainment complex with a ski-dome, bars, restaurants, cinemas and nightclubs. I personally find night's out in MK to be a bit shit (well, drinking is, eating is OK). I remedy this by going out in London or Northampton, or sticking to a local pub.

The centre is often dead busy and I tend to shop in the market and the car boot (huge). We have a large music arena called the bowl, Michael Jackson, Eminem, Oasis, Bruce Springsteen amongst others have played there.

Most people come to Milton Keynes for a rather lame attraction - our concrete cows or shopping centre, maybe to see a band and in most of these instances it doesn't come out over well as there are loads of roundabouts, it all looks the same and probably comes across as dull plus it has a bit of a stigma about it. I personally think it's a great place to live, especially good for young families and people who like to travel. It's really green and vibrant, plus there is a lot of investment going into the place. To the people calling it a shithole, you're talking bollocks and I'd love to hear where you are from.

The last time I gave my opinion of Milton Keynes, I upset a few people. I shall try to not make the same mistake again.

It's fucking shite. It has the personality of Posh Spice and the looks of Susan Boyle. I'd rather live on the streets.

I'm seriously biting my tongue here....

It's a fucking hole, mate!

What does your Mrs do? Jobs can't be THAT scarce that you'd entertain moving to MILTON KEYNES surely?

No offence, Remmie. But your home town is fucking shit.

No offence Tom but you are talking out your arse.

JNP, what do you look for in the town you want to live in? I'll try and be as honest as I can. Also, where you find to live will make a huge bearing on how you find it.

You should take a look here before making a decision, if it's on a day off I can show you about if you like.

Right, ignore every opinion you've read so far, because none of the other people live here as far as I'm aware. I love it here and have lived elsewhere but came back. It has it's problems like everywhere but I think the positives outweigh the negatives. For a start, location-wise it is ideal. It is equidistant from Birmingham and London, Oxford and Cambridge. You can get to about 6 airports within 2 hours. It has a major train station and joins straight on to the motorway.

The usual complaints are always the same - concrete city: because it's a new town, there are always new buildings and residential areas being built, meaning state of the art, modern homes are abundant. However, anyone who has been to the city will tell you how remarkably green it is with trees everywhere and a huge park right next to the shopping centre. There are also pedestrian/cycle paths everywhere so you can walk through wooded areas and fields instead of streets. Other complaints - no soul/culture: fair point I suppose, new town so no history, just one of those delightfully intangible whinges, so hard to put into context. If 'soul' is a deal breaker in terms of where you want to live then maybe live somewhere else, I personally prefer low crime and unemployment.

Too many roundabouts: this is a positive and is a result of well thought out infrastructure. One road is shut, it only takes a small detour to get round it, traffic does exist but is on a far smaller scale then other towns.

People tend to come for the shopping centre as it's massive and we have an entertainment complex with a ski-dome, bars, restaurants, cinemas and nightclubs. I personally find night's out in MK to be a bit shit (well, drinking is, eating is OK). I remedy this by going out in London or Northampton, or sticking to a local pub.

The centre is often dead busy and I tend to shop in the market and the car boot (huge). We have a large music arena called the bowl, Michael Jackson, Eminem, Oasis, Bruce Springsteen amongst others have played there.

Most people come to Milton Keynes for a rather lame attraction - our concrete cows or shopping centre, maybe to see a band and in most of these instances it doesn't come out over well as there are loads of roundabouts, it all looks the same and probably comes across as dull plus it has a bit of a stigma about it. I personally think it's a great place to live, especially good for young families and people who like to travel. It's really green and vibrant, plus there is a lot of investment going into the place. To the people calling it a shithole, you're talking bollocks and I'd love to hear where you are from.

from another shithole

Juniper, is your missus recently graduated? if so, it is pretty important to get working. I would definitely go for it. You don't have to buy a house and make it ultra permanent, but you would be a bit mental not to have a pop. My first job out of university was in Coventry for fucks sake, which is FAR worse than Milton Keynes, but it set me up for a proper career in talking shit on forumses all day.