You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer '09 Transfer Speculation Thread

Gray - YPC

Silvas still got 5 yrs left to run on a 7yr contract.

Its gonna take megabucks to get him I think.

Valencia aren't in the financial position to be demanding megabucks. From what I've read, multiple sources have stated that £20m would be sufficient to get him.

They have £450m worth of debt, and I think £50m needs to be paid off this summer before any talk of refinancing that happens.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Silva isn't an out and out "winger". He's more like Aimar or a Luis Garcia. However, these type of players fit our system too, and I wouldn't complain if we did get him. A bit worried about his physique for the premiership though. He is 1 inch shorter than Owen.

In fact, I wouldn't mind a punt of Joaquin too since we are at it for our right.

Would love Villa, but we need quality on the left and right more urgently. I like Reira and Kuyt/Benayoun, but any opportunity to upgrade, we should take it.

My feeling is Villa will end up in Barca anyway

I would take Lennon or Downing any day over Silva.

That's one of the funniest things I've read on these fora this year. Absolutely priceless. Good irony!

Your welcome, nice to be able to make you happy.

To make you even happier I can hereby break the news that Rafa is planning a swoop for 5 attacking latino players with skills. They weigh a total of 200 pounds and shy away of any tackle, but they got great names; all ending with -inho or -inha. Because we don`t want english dross like Lennon and Downing do we? (even if they will be much more effective for the team and get us more points in the premiership).

He was in Turin yesterday, so if some of the big Italian clubs are after him we got no chance because we cant compete money wise.

Juventus are after him, I thought it was almost a done deal.

Personally I`m not sure about Silva myself, good player, but I`m no sure he will solve our problems, I see him as an upgraded version of Benayoun.

I think we need more pace out wide myself, not only ability and skill.

What about that guy Hulk from Porto, he looks like he could handle the premiership and he has bags of skill and can beat a man. I think he'd be more effective than silva.

Hulk is a good shout! But I think he's a striker isn't he? Not sure if he is willing to do a Kuyt and play on the wings. May very well end up like Anelka or Cisse, whinging at the wings.

Yossi is a better player than Silva, rubbish story with no truth to it, suprising coming from Barret who's normaly on the money, if we had that sort of wedge to spend on a player Rafa would not spend it on Silva when we already have Yossi and Riera(who when he wants is excellent).

What qualifies you to say it's a rubbish story with no truth to it? Silva is muh better than Riera, better than Garcia, better than Jaoquin, he's a top player.

Hulk is a good shout! But I think he's a striker isn't he? Not sure if he is willing to do a Kuyt and play on the wings. May very well end up like Anelka or Cisse, whinging at the wings.

Yeah he is but he's so built for the premiership with his strength, speed, skill and shooting power that i'd love him at the club. It will be interesting to see how he does against the mancs.

silva isn't a traditional winger and he lacks the pace i think we need in the side in that position.

however if that is the type of player that rafa wants, why would he spunk it all on silva when he could get someone like hleb who is the same type of player and would cost much much less and is already acclimitised to the premiership?

silva isn't a traditional winger and he lacks the pace i think we need in the side in that position.

however if that is the type of player that rafa wants, why would he spunk it all on silva when he could get someone like hleb who is the same type of player and would cost much much less and is already acclimitised to the premiership?

Good point. Mentioning Hleb actually got me thinking of another ex-Arsenal player. Reyes

He's pacey, good dribbler, good shot on him, scores goals and should be affordable. Playing in Benfica now with Aimar and both playing decent stuff.

All this bullshit about not having the physique to play in the Premiership is bollocks, 10/15 years ago and i would of agreed with you but not in this day and age, how many matches do you come away from and say "fuck me that was a physical game" it just does'nt happen anymore. The modern footballer is well protected by the refs nowadays and we dont need to worry about a players phsique.

Good point. Mentioning Hleb actually got me thinking of another ex-Arsenal player. Reyes

He's pacey, good dribbler, good shot on him, scores goals and should be affordable. Playing in Benfica now with Aimar and both playing decent stuff.

Didn't Reyes leave because he hated it in England?

I've not seen much of Hulk but from the Porto team the two that have caught my eye are Lisandro Lopez and Cristian Rodriguez. The Lopez especially looks a good player, strong, quick, good in the air.

I would take Lennon or Downing any day over Silva.

Your welcome, nice to be able to make you happy.

To make you even happier I can hereby break the news that Rafa is planning a swoop for 5 attacking latino players with skills. They weigh a total of 200 pounds and shy away of any tackle, but they got great names; all ending with -inho or -inha. Because we don`t want english dross like Lennon and Downing do we? (even if they will be much more effective for the team and get us more points in the premiership).

You are actually being serious, aren't you?

Is this the same Stuart Downing who hasn't even scored a goal this season in the Premiership? Or the great attacking force Aaron Lennon (flavour of the month i feel) who's barely scored more goals in his Premiership career than Sean Dundee!?

Compared to a Euro 2008 winner. You might want to look at a goal Silva scored at Stamford Bridge in the CL a few years ago before you think he couldn't make it over here. He's a technically superb player.

Oh, and the person who mentioned Hleb - utterly ineffective Premiership[ player. Looked pretty; no end product. Again,. tell me how many goals he scored for Arsenal. And a whining diver to boot.

Are people seriously trying to compare him to Yossi? I mean, yeah they both have a head, two arms, two legs, two bollocks and possibly a foreskin each but thats as about as close as you could compare them.

Silva is a cracking little player and could play in all three positions behind Torres, preferably starting from the left. If Ribery is unavailable then he's the next best target for us to try and sign.