You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FTR the front 6 in Rafa's diamond would have been

-------------------------Mascher------------------------

--------Kuyt-----------------------------Barry----------

-------------------------Gerrard------------------------

´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´Torres---------Keane---------------

So nothing like AC Milan then, glad that's cleared up.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once Mascherano is back Benayoun and Kuyt should be playing tighter and further forward.

Benayoun won't play though, Babel will.

Actually, just thinking about it, I'd be tempted to play Babel on the left and Benayoun on the right at the moment.

Apart from the first 10/15 minutes we were gash.

Alonso, who I love dearly, was absolutely woeful. Blaming Kuyt and/or Benayoun for that is fucking stupid. They don't prevent him being able to pass the ball to someone else (who is in space) 10 yards away. Gerrard was as quiet as I've seen him until the last 10/15 minutes. Some encouraging signs between Keane and Torres.

I never leave the match early, but was on the verge of pissing myself after 91 minutes so went to the loo. Gutted.

Someone with such a limited understanding wouldn't.

Mascherano is the defensive pivot, the protection for the defence that is currently being provided by the more creative Alonso. With Mascherano in the side we have a far more solid base to build around which free's players from their defensive responsibilities and allows them to express themselves more.

That's why Gerrard + Mascherano or Alonso + Mascherano will always be a far better balanced midfield than Alonso + Gerrard.

Then of course you have Istanbul where the introduction of Hamann improved our attacking ability immeasurably.

But no, Mascherano probably won't help that much...

No he wont.

But I dont feel the need to discuss it with you any further after reading your first response.

There is no logic in what you are saying.

We have big problems at the moment because our wide players, both fullbacks and midfielders are shite, we are playing a front striker out of position up front and the inclusion of Masherano will not sort this out one bit.

Move Gerrard out wide and we might be talking but that would sort out a lot of our problems no matter who we played in midfield it being Plessis, Lucas or Mascherano.

We also need to narrow the space between our midfield and attack and the defense and midfield in our attacking play.

When we include Mascherano you will not see our limited wide players suddenly making themselves availible for passes, you will not see them suddenly taking the right decisions when it comes to when and how to release the ball, where and when to make the right runs etc.

The inclusion of Mascherano will make us better if it at the same time means Gerrard will be moved out wide, if not we still will have limited players playing in key positions, we will not be able to keep possession and we will not create enough chances.

During the last couple of weeks we have also seen people say how everything will improve once Babel is back.

It makes you wonder if this is the same player who usually only had any positive impact on games last season when he was introduced as a sub when we either chased the game or had a comfortable lead and he was released from defensive duties and could commit everything going forward?

Is this the same player who when got a start usually contributed with very little on a positive note and seemed really restricted by his defensive duties when we went out with the intentions to not concede a goal above everything else?

Lucas is another player being away at the Olympics, his abilities seems to have increased by some proportions as well during his time away.

We need better wide players to compete with Chelsea and the mancs and the inclusion of Mascherano will not make the ones we have any better all of a sudden, they were not good enough last year with Mascherano in the team, they have not been good enough this year without him in the team and they will be good enough when he is back in the team either.

Its as simple as that.

Just noticed something, albeit small, on the highlights which impressed me.

Just after the 1-1 goal the team celebrated, muted, and Dirk was behind the goal trying to get the ball off the goalkeeper.

Then in Gerrard's interview he said we drew too many games at home last year.

I am impressed that even this early in the season, they are doing all they can to win each and every home game. Last year they would have scored a late equaliser and done a locomotion by the kop or something, this year it's all about the win. There is more urgency and more desire to win.

This stands us in good stead I think.

I think so too. Last season, playing the way we have done in the past 2 games we would have drawn, or even lost.. every championship winning team needs to be able to win when playing at their worst, something we have managed to do in the the games so far. When Masch get's back we will improve, no one bosses it like him! but we do need at least one, preferably two out and out wingers, so when we play 4-4-2 we can mix it up, give the opposition something else to think about, make more space in the middle for Torres, Keane and Gerrard to burst through.. i know that we have been going after attacking full backs, but despite not playing for us yet, deegan for previous club and country wasnt great, and Dossena seems ok, but not much different from JAR, hopefully they will go on to prove me wrong though...

I think people look too deeply into tactics myself. Mascherano coming back will improve us because he's a class player, World class in fact. Code 72 is right about the wide players not being good enough as well, it's not rocket science, good players in certain postions will not turn poor players in other positions good. As the master Paisley simply stated when asked what the "Liverpool secret" was he simply answered "good players".

Kuyt's was a lovely corner right into the heart of the area between the six yard box and the penalty spot. Best corner I've some from us in ages.

for fuck's sake. You kuyt fanboys have no objectivity at all. He was absolutely shit yesterday, as was almost everyone else, yet still he's the greatest thing since sliced bread :D

No he wont.

So he won't add a defensive solidity to the team and allow Alonso to concentrate on the creative side of his game more?

Genuinely do you have any clue about football whatsoever, because despite your claims about forgetting more than most people know you seem to be pulling off a storming rendition of the village idiot.

We are very narrow. Opposing teams recognise this and set up accordingly. We're being mopped up like mugs at the moment. Having said that, if we win every game playing badly, we'll still win the league. I do have a nagging doubt though.

Absolutely..Rocket Science it aint. And the reason we're narrow is because the wide players are poor, if we had good wide players we wouldn't be narrow. Simple really

So he won't add a defensive solidity to the team and allow Alonso to concentrate on the creative side of his game more?

Genuinely do you have any clue about football whatsoever, because despite your claims about forgetting more than most people know you seem to be pulling off a storming rendition of the village idiot.

Not wanting to get involved, but in that style of 'that 70's show' that was one hell of a BURN!!!

He will, but unless Gerrard is moved out wide it wont solve our main problem.

If we had played Plessis in CM and Gerrard out wide yesterday I assume we would have played a hell of a lot better than we did.

Kuyt is useless as a wide player and there is no way around it.

For the rest of your post, pathetic.

Absolutely..Rocket Science it aint. And the reason we're narrow is because the wide players are poor, if we had good wide players we wouldn't be narrow. Simple really

Too simple.

You don't think it's possible that the return of Mascherano, and the defensive protection he brings, will allow the full backs to offer more width?

There's no doubt we can improve our wide options, but the standard of player is not key to offering width.

Pennant is a good example of this.

He will, but unless Gerrard is moved out wide it wont solve our main problem.

If we had played Plessis in CM and Gerrard out wide yesterday I assume we would have played a hell of a lot better than we did.

Kuyt is useless as a wide player and there is no way around it.

For the rest of your post, pathetic.

But as you, with your superior footballing knowledge, are no doubt aware Gerrard out wide doesn't provide width anymore than Zidane playing on the left for Madrid turned him into a flowing left winger.

Whats the use in offering width if you aint a treath, do you think our opponents will double up on them to stop them and by this leaving gaps in the middle?

Dossena has scored 5 goals during his career and Arbeloa 1, for some reason I dont think they will put much fear in our opponents, their assist records are pretty appaling as well.

Its all well and good to have attacking fullbacks, but its always an advantage if they actually are good at it.

Whats the use in offering width if you aint a treath, do you think our opponents will double up on them to stop them and by this leaving gaps in the middle?

Dossena has scored 5 goals during his career and Arbeloa 1, for some reason I dont think they will put much fear in our opponents, their assist records are pretty appaling as well.

Its all well and good to have attacking fullbacks, but its always an advantage if they actually are good at it.

We don't need them to double up to create more space, just stretching them will be an improvement.

What's Gary Neville's goalscoring record like? Evra? Clichy?

I don't expect Arbeloa to ge many direct assists but there's no reason he shouldn't be involved in our attacking play. It's too early to judge Dossena but from all accounts he likes to get forward and get crosses in.

Gerrard and Torres the two lovebirds just can't wait to hug eachother. The mutual respect and admiration they have for eachother is really heartwarming stuff.

Just look at Stevies face after the game. He turns around, sees Nando and flash a smile with such admiration it can make a grown man cry.

:$

for fuck's sake. You kuyt fanboys have no objectivity at all. He was absolutely shit yesterday, as was almost everyone else, yet still he's the greatest thing since sliced bread :D

You do realise that the quote was in tongue in cheek don't you? Don't be picking on my posts unless you have your facts correct.

But as you, with your superior footballing knowledge, are no doubt aware Gerrard out wide doesn't provide width anymore than Zidane playing on the left for Madrid turned him into a flowing left winger.

Width?

This is a concept I feel people completely misunderstands.

The point is not for the wide players to stay wide, the point is that the wide players starts wide and then create unbalance in the oppositions defense when they are able to go past a defender and by this a CB will have to get out of position to cover for him which then again leaves open spaces inside the box.

Pennant stays wide all the time but hardly ever creates unbalance among our opposition because thats all he does, stays out wide and unless its a completely fluke you do not score from the wide positions, you haev to cut inside to be a treath.

You do not create unbalance with a cross either unless you gets past the defender with the option to run against goal and other player will have to try to cover you.

People talk about wingers as player that always stays wide, thats why I usually always use the term wide players to help sort out the confusion.

A wide player should be able to get in behind the defense on the break because of his pace, he should be able to go past players and create unbalance because of his ace ann skill and he needs to get inside the box to be on the far post when we attack down the opposite side, he also needs to be a genuine treath and by this create sace for his teammates since our opponents will have to double up on him to try to stop him from creating this unbalance mentioned earlier.

We do not have such players unless we play Gerrard out wide and Babel steps it up with about 10 notches, and this is what will cost us in the title race.

We don't need them to double up to create more space, just stretching them will be an improvement.

What's Gary Neville's goalscoring record like? Evra? Clichy?

I hope you realise the flaws in your arguments without me pointing them out to you.

There is a mighty difference in there you know. :D

Cannot not be arsed reading through this but what a result.

We did not deserve it and we need a big improvement if we are going to do anything this year.

Someone is always going to be the whipping boy and at the moment we have a few candidates. No need to name names after two games.

you really do think treath is the right way to spell threat don't you.

I was a bit unsure to be honest, but could not be arsed to check it out.

Its not actually my master degree is it.

Why dont you try and write a 1000 word post about our problems in Norwegian. :whistle: