You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought we were absolutely terrible. I said last week that if we have to rely on Kuyt and Benayoun all season then we'll be fucked, and yesterday only heightened those fears for me.

Great result and a brilliant birthday present from Gerrard!

those 2 will be backup when we have a full squad and you know it, I'm sure we'll revert back to last seasons formation once mascher is back and that leaves babel/kuyt/benny fighting it out for that 3rd wide forward position. (well 2nd really but you know what I mean)

Width?

This is a concept I feel people completely misunderstands.

The point is not for the wide players to stay wide, the point is that the wide players starts wide and then create unbalance in the oppositions defense when they are able to go past a defender and by this a CB will have to get out of position to cover for him which then again leaves open spaces inside the box.

Pennant stays wide all the time but hardly ever creates unbalance among our opposition because thats all he does, stays out wide and unless its a completely fluke you do not score from the wide positions, you haev to cut inside to be a treath.

You do not create unbalance with a cross either unless you gets past the defender with the option to run against goal and other player will have to try to cover you.

People talk about wingers as player that always stays wide, thats why I usually always use the term wide players to help sort out the confusion.

A wide player should be able to get in behind the defense on the break because of his pace, he should be able to go past players and create unbalance because of his ace ann skill and he needs to get inside the box to be on the far post when we attack down the opposite side, he also needs to be a genuine treath and by this create sace for his teammates since our opponents will have to double up on him to try to stop him from creating this unbalance mentioned earlier.

We do not have such players unless we play Gerrard out wide and Babel steps it up with about 10 notches, and this is what will cost us in the title race.

A 'wide player' who doesn't stay wide doesn't stretch the play and a 'wide player' who comes inside all the time doesn't create an inbalance because defenders know what he's going to do.

Gerrard plays the same way whether he starts outwide or centrally so I'm not sure what the obsession is other than to create space and find somewhere for him to play if you plan on dropping Keane deeper.

I can not see how people do not realise how much of a difference Mascherano makes to the team.

Alonso and Gerrard partnership clearly does not work as Gerrard wants to attack at every opportunity and when you can burst into the penalty area and score crackers like he does then why not but this leaves Alonso exposed in midfield and as we saw yesterday Xabi turns like a tanker and does not have the mobilty to play.

Mascherano is a destroyer of attacks and rarely when he loses the ball does he fail to not back get back at the opposition to retrieve possesion.

The other added advantage of Mascherano is this allows Xabi the opportunity to play what he is best at and that gets over the halfway line himself which he couldnt do much of yesterday as he had to offer protection to the defence, something he does not need to worry about once Mascherano is around.

This would allow us to push Gerrard out right centre a position that Kuyt currently plays in but i think Gerrard can play that position better without losing the workrate but gaining drastically in the attacking intent.

Hopefully Babel will raise his game but this is an area Rafa must be wanting to strengthen as Babel whilst showing glimpses of brilliance last season also was inconsistent and there is nothing to suggest that will not be the case this season.

Now both Lucas and Mascherano are returning plus the emergence of Plessis if Alonso has too many games like yesterday then he will get dropped and rightly so as we can afford no passengers this season and no-ones place should be guranteed.

I'm a big fan of the Alonso-Gerrard partnership and do not think that was evidence it does not work. If I'm not mistaken thats the first time they've started as a two at home for 12 months , which when one of them is not fully fit is clearly going to be a problem. That said Xabi had his worst game ever for Liverpool , that was a genuine poor performance and I've never seen anything like that from him before. The funny thing is the agenda'eres making it seem like it is the norm when it clearly is not.

I really really hate 'Boro so beating them like that was ace. Why, if he's an attacking fullback, did Dossena only really overlap Kuyt/Yossi once?

The performance was unacceptable and so was lack of creativity or movement.

I'm a big fan of the Alonso-Gerrard partnership and do not think that was evidence it does not work. If I'm not mistaken thats the first time they've started as a two at home for 12 months , which when one of them is not fully fit is clearly going to be a problem. That said Xabi had his worst game ever for Liverpool , that was a genuine poor performance and I've never seen anything like that from him before. The funny thing is the agenda'eres making it seem like it is the norm when it clearly is not.

I really really hate 'Boro so beating them like that was ace. Why, if he's an attacking fullback, did Dossena only really overlap Kuyt/Yossi once?

The performance was unacceptable and so was lack of creativity or movement.

Because your favoured partnership of gerrard and alonso is shit, gerrard likes to get foward which leaves xabi doing a job he's no good at which leaves the fullbacks not being able to get forward.

I like xabi just not when he's playing alongside gerrard.

Too simple.

You don't think it's possible that the return of Mascherano, and the defensive protection he brings, will allow the full backs to offer more width?

There's no doubt we can improve our wide options, but the standard of player is not key to offering width.

Pennant is a good example of this.

Disagre mate, playing player A in a way that allows player B to do this or that doesn't work for me, it really is simple imo, the best players in their natural positions and you'll never go wrong.

Disagre mate, playing player A in a way that allows player B to do this or that doesn't work for me, it really is simple imo, the best players in their natural positions and you'll never go wrong.

By that defination Gerrard and Lampard should work in the middle for England... players need to complement each other, Masch gives balance in the middle, which is why gerrard + Mach or Alonso + Mach will be better than Gerrard + Alonso in the middle... it is a bit of a conundrum though... with Plessis emerging and Lucas, who should be settled now and back to his best, dont forget he won the Bola de Ouro - and is the youngest player to do so.... you dont win that for nothing!!!

By that defination Gerrard and Lampard should work in the middle for England... players need to complement each other, Masch gives balance in the middle, which is why gerrard + Mach or Alonso + Mach will be better than Gerrard + Alonso in the middle... it is a bit of a conundrum though... with Plessis emerging and Lucas, who should be settled now and back to his best, dont forget he won the Bola de Ouro - and is the youngest player to do so.... you dont win that for nothing!!!

My point really (although it seems to be getting sidetracked) is that, for me, people overcomplicate tactics citing this formation and that formation to the point where some can't see the wood for the trees. Football to me is a very simple game, i keep going back to Paisley with his ethos of simply having the best players. Attitude is very important as well i think.

i do agree in some ways with you, especially on the attitude part.. however i don't think that football is a simple game anymore, tatics are extreamly important, and i don't think that you can simply put the best players into each position and expect everything to click (chelski). but i'm no manager, just a fan, and like all we are all entitled to an opinion.. what worked in the era for Bob Paisley may not work today, as with everything the game of football has elvolved.

I don't think Dossena is doing too badly tbh, he has to be given time, Bob seems to have gone off the boil though, he's apparantly chronically homesick i believe.

Aye. I don't think he's done too badly really. Very early days for him and some people are happy to right him off already. Stupid.