You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

DUBAI TO MAKE BID

WeAreTheBest

Dubai International to make bid for Liverpool FC - Liverpool Daily Post.co.uk

Dubai International to make bid for Liverpool FC

Jan 17 2008 by Tony Barrett

Anfield stadium from the air (320)

DUBAI International Capital is ready to make an offer for Tom Hicks’s stake in Liverpool FC.

It is understood that senior executives at the Dubai-based international investment company were given the go-ahead by Sheikh Mohammed Al Maktoum to launch a second bid to buy into Liverpool in a year.

An offer has been agreed in principle.

A source close to DIC today has said the bid would be for a half share in the club with the Arab consortium willing to enter into a dual ownership deal with George Gillett.

He said: “It is a very delicate situation but DIC has reignited its interest in Liverpool Football Club.

“The terms of the offer, which will be made to Tom Hicks, have been agreed and DIC are hopeful they will be finally be able to invest in Liverpool.

“The offer is now being written up and it should be only a matter of time before it is delivered to Hicks.”

Co-owners Hicks and Gillett are edging closer to clinching a refinancing deal.

But DIC are hoping to make a move before any deal is completed.

Hicks and Gillet enjoyed a honeymoon period after their acquisition of the Reds.

But recent revelations they talked to Jurgen Klinsmann about the possibility of replacing the hugely popular Rafa Benitez as manager have led to them falling out of favour with the Liverpool fans.

While the financial restructuring deal, which would give them the necessary collateral to fund the building of the long-awaited new stadium, remains incomplete, DIC believe a window of opportunity still remains open to them.

Whether Hicks is willing to sell is another matter entirely.

The Dallas-based multi-millionaire is on record saying he is not interested in selling his stake, even though there are tensions between himself and Gillett about the proposed refinancing deal.

In a recent interview Hicks said: “I just want to clear up with you that I am not selling any of my shares to anybody.

“I have no idea why anyone would think that. It was just rubbish.”

But with Sheikh Mohammed, one of the world’s richest men, now back on the scene Hicks looks likely to face some tough decisions in the days to come.

On the one hand a deal with DIC could present him with a sizeable return on his initial investment and an opportunity to walk away from the dual problems of securing the necessary loans to service their own debt, fund the new stadium and winning the fans over all over again.

But, on the other, there may be a reluctance to part with an asset which he fought so hard to acquire, one which he firmly believes can pay dividends in the long term.

Hicks insists financial restructuring could be complete within days, and if he is proven right it will make an immediate offer from DIC less likely.

The American pair have six weeks to secure a £350m loan that would refinance their original purchase of the club.

Hicks recently said he hopes a deal can be signed off with the Royal Bank of Scotland and the US investment bank Wachovia by the middle of next week.

If, as expected, DIC follow up their interest with a firm bid the ownership of Liverpool FC could change for the second time in a year.

Club officials said today: “We do not comment on speculation.”

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although this is potentially really good news, it will complicate things massively. Determining the right price, then dealing with decision-making in a dual ownership (if true) and on top of that there will be a completely new boardroom structure.

If Rafa thought it was difficult getting sactioning for new players with 2 in charge, he aint seen nothin' yet.

Id say the situation is going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

Dubai International to make bid for Liverpool FC - Liverpool Daily Post.co.uk

Dubai International to make bid for Liverpool FC

Jan 17 2008 by Tony Barrett

Anfield stadium from the air (320)

DUBAI International Capital is ready to make an offer for Tom Hicks’s stake in Liverpool FC.

It is understood that senior executives at the Dubai-based international investment company were given the go-ahead by Sheikh Mohammed Al Maktoum to launch a second bid to buy into Liverpool in a year.

An offer has been agreed in principle.

A source close to DIC today has said the bid would be for a half share in the club with the Arab consortium willing to enter into a dual ownership deal with George Gillett.

He said: “It is a very delicate situation but DIC has reignited its interest in Liverpool Football Club.

“The terms of the offer, which will be made to Tom Hicks, have been agreed and DIC are hopeful they will be finally be able to invest in Liverpool.

“The offer is now being written up and it should be only a matter of time before it is delivered to Hicks.”

Co-owners Hicks and Gillett are edging closer to clinching a refinancing deal.

But DIC are hoping to make a move before any deal is completed.

Hicks and Gillet enjoyed a honeymoon period after their acquisition of the Reds.

But recent revelations they talked to Jurgen Klinsmann about the possibility of replacing the hugely popular Rafa Benitez as manager have led to them falling out of favour with the Liverpool fans.

While the financial restructuring deal, which would give them the necessary collateral to fund the building of the long-awaited new stadium, remains incomplete, DIC believe a window of opportunity still remains open to them.

Whether Hicks is willing to sell is another matter entirely.

The Dallas-based multi-millionaire is on record saying he is not interested in selling his stake, even though there are tensions between himself and Gillett about the proposed refinancing deal.

In a recent interview Hicks said: “I just want to clear up with you that I am not selling any of my shares to anybody.

“I have no idea why anyone would think that. It was just rubbish.”

But with Sheikh Mohammed, one of the world’s richest men, now back on the scene Hicks looks likely to face some tough decisions in the days to come.

On the one hand a deal with DIC could present him with a sizeable return on his initial investment and an opportunity to walk away from the dual problems of securing the necessary loans to service their own debt, fund the new stadium and winning the fans over all over again.

But, on the other, there may be a reluctance to part with an asset which he fought so hard to acquire, one which he firmly believes can pay dividends in the long term.

Hicks insists financial restructuring could be complete within days, and if he is proven right it will make an immediate offer from DIC less likely.

The American pair have six weeks to secure a £350m loan that would refinance their original purchase of the club.

Hicks recently said he hopes a deal can be signed off with the Royal Bank of Scotland and the US investment bank Wachovia by the middle of next week.

If, as expected, DIC follow up their interest with a firm bid the ownership of Liverpool FC could change for the second time in a year.

Club officials said today: “We do not comment on speculation.”

I just hope the 'source' he is referring to isn't Rash!!!!

Hicks wont sell. Too much to make if we can sell our own TV rights in the future. Thats why they got into it in the first place.

Whats makes people think the Arabs are the saviours either??!?! Is it all just about Money?

I reckon Hicks wants to sell. I think his stance is merely posturing. Gillett had tried once to persuade him to get involved with us and he wouldn't, then Gillett eventually persuaded him, he always seem like a reluctant partner to me. Then, when you see that he tried to sell some of his stake before, you know he's willing to do business should it be profitable for him to do so. If Gillett doesn't want to work with him anymore, he won't sign his part of the loan. If Gillett will work with DIC, then he can afford to let the loan slide and form an alliance with DIC, fucking Hicks off into the sunset.

I reckon Hicks wants to sell. I think his stance is merely posturing. Gillett had tried once to persuade him to get involved with us and he wouldn't, then Gillett eventually persuaded him, he always seem like a reluctant partner to me. Then, when you see that he tried to sell some of his stake before, you know he's willing to do business should it be profitable for him to do so. If Gillett doesn't want to work with him anymore, he won't sign his part of the loan. If Gillett will work with DIC, then he can afford to let the loan slide and form an alliance with DIC, fucking Hicks off into the sunset.

Hicks does want to sell and I told Tom that yesterday.

half share in the club with the Arab consortium willing to enter into a dual ownership deal with George Gillett.

What exactly does this mean Hicks is out? That Gillett and DIC will be making decisions on behalf of the club now? Can they not afford full ownership?

If the deal goes ahead ofcourse.

Good call and it's interesting they're bidding for Hick's share only, they obviously know something whether thats through Hicks, Parry, Gillett or what I've no idea though.

half share in the club with the Arab consortium willing to enter into a dual ownership deal with George Gillett.

What exactly does this mean Hicks is out? That Gillett and DIC will be making decisions on behalf of the club now? Can they not afford full ownership?

If the deal goes ahead ofcourse.

Yeah Hicks is gone. I'd imagine DIC would want Gilletts share aswell but this is just the first step in. Of course they can afford it.

Hicks wont sell. Too much to make if we can sell our own TV rights in the future. Thats why they got into it in the first place.

Whats makes people think the Arabs are the saviours either??!?! Is it all just about Money?

I'm of a similar mind to you on this one, mate. I'm far from convinced that Hicks will sell. He's clearly an unpredictable person (see his Klinsmann revelations for evidence) and I reckon he will only do what he wants to do and strictly on his own terms. As for DIC, I'm also cautious about them. However, I'm now of the view that anyone bar these two is a step forward. I'm far from buying all this shite about it all being Hicks, either. Clearly he's the bigger nutter of the two, but his former mate is no innocent, either.

Imagane if you were getting mugged and the mugger was scared off by a passer by and then said passer by took your wallet anyway, thats how i see this current situation.

The DIC should they come in are not "saviours" they are as much in it for the money as those 2 jokers are but they may have deeper pockets. This club sold it's soul already and we should all realise that anyone who wants in at this point is doing it for thier own ends and nobody elses and especially not we the fans.