You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Actually, there is a laundry list of inaccurate tidbits in that film. It pissed me off really, to think that they thought people too stupid to notice them, like with most historical films. Why can't they fucking do their homework?

Balian was a guard captain, not a blacksmith, and he was a professional soldier when he was in Jerusalem. Orlando Bloom simply did not have the body of a blacksmith, to pull it off... so I am not sure why they choose to go that route.

Saladin's victory wasn't with 200,000. He had an army of like 30,000 or so...

The fucking crescent moon symbol wasn't an 'icon' until 1453 with the ottoman empire's capture of Byzantium, as it was an ancient turkish symbol, but it never appeared associated with islam. (This one REALLY pissed me off, because it was a glaring inaccuracy)

Liam Neeson's character was actually dead in the period in which the film takes place... Oddly enough.

Sibylla had a lot of things wrong with her character, but some were done from necessity. She never got 'busy' with Balian or even liked him, that anyone recorded.

Balian, who was quite old, actually married Sibylla's step-mother, from what I remember reading.

I know there are more but I couldn't be arsed to discover what they were... but I laughed when Ridley Scott called this film, "Historically accurate" and an "exciting history lesson".

Is it fuck.

edit: Oh right, the two main bad guys weren't even members of the Knights Templar.

Yeah, I know it isn't completely accurate (hence the 'relatively' in brackets). To be honest my knowledge of the Crusades isn't as great as I'd like it to be, so I need to brush up it would seem. The Battle of the Horns of Hattin seemed to be pretty accurate, as did the siege of Jerusalem and the handover negotiated by Saladin.

Regardless of his Templar connection (or lack of one) Reynald Du Chatillion was a complete bastard (it would seem) and the raid on the Saracen caravan that provokes Saladin to cross the Jordan (another accuracy) was commanded and led by him. His execution in Saladin's tent after the defeat at Hattin, according to Muslim scholars, is true- right down to the drinking of the cup of ice.

It's hard when what Scott was dealing with in terms of the historical evidence is seen and written from different sides. Obviously the glaring errors like the crescent moon should have been better researched, as should the character of Balian and Guy Du Lusignan. The reference to Balian's affair with Sybilla comes from an account called The Old Fench Continuation of William of Tyre but it can't possibly be proven, obviously. He did lead the defence of the city, but with much assistance from Patriarch Eraclius. However in the film the Patriarch is a bad guy.

You're right though, there are some right shocking errors in it.

Of course, there cannot be complete accuracy but it still reads like a Encyclopedia Britannica compared to the likes of Braveheart and the Patriot.

Southern Comfort- no review, but if you havent seen it you should do so immediately- 9.5/10.

I remember first seeing that on the school video club. An excellent, and often overlooked film, with a definite Deliverance vibe. Beware Cajuns bearing animal traps....

Yeah, I know it isn't completely accurate (hence the 'relatively' in brackets). To be honest my knowledge of the Crusades isn't as great as I'd like it to be, so I need to brush up it would seem. The Battle of the Horns of Hattin seemed to be pretty accurate, as did the siege of Jerusalem and the handover negotiated by Saladin.

Regardless of his Templar connection (or lack of one) Reynald Du Chatillion was a complete bastard (it would seem) and the raid on the Saracen caravan that provokes Saladin to cross the Jordan (another accuracy) was commanded and led by him. His execution in Saladin's tent after the defeat at Hattin, according to Muslim scholars, is true- right down to the drinking of the cup of ice.

It's hard when what Scott was dealing with in terms of the historical evidence is seen and written from different sides. Obviously the glaring errors like the crescent moon should have been better researched, as should the character of Balian and Guy Du Lusignan. The reference to Balian's affair with Sybilla comes from an account called The Old Fench Continuation of William of Tyre but it can't possibly be proven, obviously. He did lead the defence of the city, but with much assistance from Patriarch Eraclius. However in the film the Patriarch is a bad guy.

You're right though, there are some right shocking errors in it.

Of course, there cannot be complete accuracy but it still reads like a Encyclopedia Britannica compared to the likes of Braveheart and the Patriot.

Braveheart and the Patriot didn't claim to be 'historically accurate' like Kingdom of Heaven did...

That's why it pissed me off so bloody much.

Friday the 13th 2009.

A couple of nice set pieces but apart from that a complete waste of film. Poorly directed, badly acted, poor FX, scary bits that would not scare a 7 year old. Also the most pointlessly stupid final scene of all time. So there has been a spree killer and lots of people killed and you manager to kill the beast. Instead of waiting for the police etc you decide to drag Jason's body to the side of a lake and push it in. Yep that's what you would do. Never mind the police investigation and awkward questions, you just drag that body and push it in just for the sake of the a surprise ending that is as surprising as night following day.

2 deformed kids who grow into giant serial killers out of 10

King of Kong; a Fist full of quarters

Documentry bout an average joe Steve Wiebe who sets out to break the world record at Arcade Donkey Kong. Really good underdog story, Has possibly the biggest chickenshit cunt on there called Billy Mitchell (not of eastenders fame)

143910288908.jpg

That prick. I have literally just finished watching it and he has wound me up.

9/10 really good watch

*spoiler alert*

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

Fuck Slumdog Millionaires, this is the feel good film of any year