You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Oh, and Happy Go Lucky

I really liked it, top quality performance by Sally Hawkins as annoying but also ace Poppy.

Scott the driving instructor reminded me of a fair few people on the *F, Enraha!

8/10

Note to self: do not trust this man's reviews.

HappyGoLucky was a horrible, horrible turd of a film. I loathe these "realismo" films that aren't in the slightest bit realistic. You were supposed to empathise with the characters, I empathised with none of them. Turgid rubbish.

Guest The Chimp

Pathfinder: uncut extended version (or so the DVD said). Bought this yesterday as it was cheap and I thought it'd be a Conan-like sword and scorcery film. It's not. Was OK - but then again I'm fairly easy to please. Lots of blood and gore and an added bonus is that Moon Bloodgood is in it. 7/10

I love any kind of historical epic- except Troy- and this for me was no exception. The storyline is actually quite accurate (possibly due to a non-American director? Haha), and I think Orlando Bloom plays his character very well, despite the criticism he recieved. The battle scenes around Jerusalem are stunning, as you'd expect from a Ridley Scott film, and the modern references to friction between West and East are thought-provoking.

If you're willing to put the time in- this film is a real slow-burner to begin with- then I think you'll enjoy this, especially if you like your historical films to be (relatively) accurate.

Actually, there is a laundry list of inaccurate tidbits in that film. It pissed me off really, to think that they thought people too stupid to notice them, like with most historical films. Why can't they fucking do their homework?

Balian was a guard captain, not a blacksmith, and he was a professional soldier when he was in Jerusalem. Orlando Bloom simply did not have the body of a blacksmith, to pull it off... so I am not sure why they choose to go that route.

Saladin's victory wasn't with 200,000. He had an army of like 30,000 or so...

The fucking crescent moon symbol wasn't an 'icon' until 1453 with the ottoman empire's capture of Byzantium, as it was an ancient turkish symbol, but it never appeared associated with islam. (This one REALLY pissed me off, because it was a glaring inaccuracy)

Liam Neeson's character was actually dead in the period in which the film takes place... Oddly enough.

Sibylla had a lot of things wrong with her character, but some were done from necessity. She never got 'busy' with Balian or even liked him, that anyone recorded.

Balian, who was quite old, actually married Sibylla's step-mother, from what I remember reading.

I know there are more but I couldn't be arsed to discover what they were... but I laughed when Ridley Scott called this film, "Historically accurate" and an "exciting history lesson".

Is it fuck.

edit: Oh right, the two main bad guys weren't even members of the Knights Templar.

Lakeview Terrace

Samuel L Jackson plays a hardnosed copper who has a mixed-marriage couple move in next door which he's not happy about at all. It gets messy. Pretty good really, although Jackson definitely makes it decent.

7.3 racists out of 10

Crash - 9/10

Excellent film. Very well done. One of the most powerful moments in film occurs when the shop owner goes to shoot the locksmith and his daughter jumps up to protect him. Gut wrenching. Beautiful.

I like some of the songs in it too. I hadn't heard Bird York before and her song 'In the Deep' at the end brings things together brilliantly.

If you haven't seen this film: WATCH IT!

"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle."

Only fifteen minutes in but it's not like I'm suddenly going to think it's shit, is it? It's twee in places and could have been far better but it's still an excellent movie - I still remember watching it at the pictures on release day.

Twilight 6/10.

Book is SOOOO much better, i started reading the series a couple of weeks ago, on the 4th book and 300 pages left, loving it.

Anyone seen terminator salvation yet?

Edit... just seen the thread.