You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

According to his biography he was never formally offered the job. There were rumours going around that he was in line for it so he contacted the club and told them he was ruling himself out and didn't want it. The way he comes across in the book, I think he was right. He doesn't seem to have the hunger and obsession for the game that management requires.

I'm sure I've heard him say that pressure really got to him as a player so if he managed us it would be 10 times worse.

There was a massive interview with Aldo on LiverpoolTV the other night, and he said that Jocky was the most nervous player in the dressing room, basically on the toilet until kick off, so that would appear to bear that out.

Near the end of his career, I heard Hansen say on two occassions that he was going into coaching: once on Granada's Kick Off Programme; and once on Ian St John's World of Football - a radio programme St John used to host on Radio City on a Sunday Morning. Then, shortly after Dalglish resigned, Hansen announced his retirement and stated he had no intention of going into coaching/management, surfacing the following season as a BBC pundit.

I'm sure I've heard him say that pressure really got to him as a player so if he managed us it would be 10 times worse.

I remember reading comments from Jocky saying that he was put off from management when he saw how the pressure affected Kenny (although I believe it was the Hillsbrough tragedy that affected Kenny rather than the actual pressures associated with managing a football club that is always expected to win).

I think that at the time a lot of people in the media were thinking he would take over as manager - after all it was only six years since Kenny had moved from being a player to (player) manager - and he was one of the hot favourites to take over. I remember him ruling it out at the time when the media speculation mounted. Can't remember all the details, but he was very much in the frame, I think.

• 8 years later...

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool-owners-must-give-jurgen-klopp-200m-to-turn-team-into-title-contenders-says-alan-hansen-a6860761.html

Liverpool owners must give Jurgen Klopp £200m to turn team into title contenders, says Alan Hansen

alen-hansen.jpg

Alan Hansen believes Liverpool’s owners must invest £200m in the squad if Jurgen Klopp is to turn the team into title contenders.

The Liverpool legend believes his old club require major rebuilding under Klopp, but warned there is no ‘quick’ fix and fears Liverpool’s owners, Fenway Sports Group, could be reluctant to sanction more big spending given how much money has been wasted since they bought the club in 2010.

Liverpool are eighth in the table, nine points off the Champions League places, and Hansen believes a major overhaul, including at least five signings, is needed.

“These players are not going to win the league, so realistically they probably need five major signings,” Hansen said. “Jurgen Klopp will have taken the job already knowing who he wants to bring in. The owners have brought him in and now they need to back him, but the problem is the money.

“From what I understand Fenway Sports Group have told the manager it is not a bottomless pit. So the problem he might have is that the owners have invested so much already, will they be reluctant to do it again? They have spent a lot - £20m on Lazar Markovic, and then he was sent out on loan.

“You could say they need to spend £100m, but where does that get you in today’s market? If they are going to have a real go it needs to be more like £200m – but you can’t just snap your fingers and solve the problem.”

iverpool’s defensive problems have hindered their progress all season, and Hansen, who won three European Cups and three league titles during his 14 years at Anfield, said the club were suffering for their lack of quality centre-backs and the struggles of goalkeeper Simon Mignolet.

Hansen added: “The problem with Simon Mignolet is he’ll go on a good run and then a bad run, but the question is whether there is anyone out there who is better. Do you give him more time? If you look at someone like David De Gea, when he was first at Manchester United he was called the worst goalkeeper in the world. Now he’s being called the best in the world.

“The manager will have to be looking at two goalkeepers and a centre-back. But like with the goalkeeper situation I can’t think of too many decent centre-backs out there. You need a centre-back partnership to be successful and Liverpool have not had one for a number of years. I look at Wes Morgan and Robert Huth at Leicester and how successful they have been. That’s what Liverpool miss”

Hansen was talking to the Independent as he prepares to front the new Walkers Tear ‘n’ Share campaign (“My favourite flavour? Cheese and Onion - no contest.”), and as Liverpool prepare to face Manchester City in the Capital One Cup final on Sunday.

When asked whether Klopp should stick with his policy of playing youngsters in the cup, Hansen said: “Are you kidding - there’s absolutely no chance he’ll go with the kids. It’s Manchester City in a major cup final. And Liverpool have won one trophy in eight years. He’ll not want to give them an inch. He’ll go with his strongest side.”

No coincidence we haven't won the league since Jocky called it a day.

Always makes me laugh when people compare Stones to Bobby Moore when the best ball playing centre half this country has ever produced and is always overlooked was Hansen.

Are you saying Hansen was a better overall centre half than Moore or just a better passer?

Hansen was brilliant, and one of my all-time favourite Liverpool players, but he wasn't a better centre half than Moore.

True.

But, fuck nationality, and club allegiance, Moore was better than Hansen. Absolutely no question.

Debatable. Moore was brilliant for England but he didn't win much with West Ham. Hansen was much more successful. I agree Moore was the better player, but there's not much in it.

Moore won two major honours with West Ham. Given that West Ham have only won four major honours in their history, that, relatively speaking, is a lot.

Hansen, whilst undoubtedly a brilliant player, played for the best team in the country. Put Moore in a time machine and have him take Hansen's place, he would have had an equally impressive collection of winners medals.