You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I remember a few years ago at the Hillsborough charity game Kenny organised. Lawro Chested a corner down stone dead in front of his foot, I just sat there in awe thinking ' You don't lose it'.

I remember thinking at the time none of our current defenders could ever produce a bit of skill like that. Class, class player. Cunt, cunt man.

• Upvote 1

I remember someone telling me about Bobby Charlton, might have been my old man or whoever.

They were of the opinion that he was a glory boy that would do grandiose side to side passes that looked good but got the team nowhere. Very rare you saw him do a through ball or asture pass.

Glenn Hoddle was a fucking brilliant footballer but wasted by England managers. He had no pace, didnt tackle and wasnt all that good in the air. What he could do was as good or better than Cruyff or Platini.

Lawrenson was a brilliant Centre half. Our younger fans wont know, and will judge him is as he is on the telly, but trust me he was very good.

Hansen was the classier of the two but what a pairing they were and you only realise as you get older how good.

I remember a few years ago at the Hillsborough charity game Kenny organised. Lawro Chested a corner down stone dead in front of his foot, I just sat there in awe thinking ' You don't lose it'.

Exactly how I think of him, class defender awful pundit/man. Hansen was pure elegance.

I was at that charity match - think I thought that about a few of the players there that day!

I remember someone telling me about Bobby Charlton, might have been my old man or whoever.

They were of the opinion that he was a glory boy that would do grandiose side to side passes that looked good but got the team nowhere. Very rare you saw him do a through ball or asture pass.

Glenn Hoddle was a fucking brilliant footballer but wasted by England managers. He had no pace, didnt tackle and wasnt all that good in the air. What he could do was as good or better than Cruyff or Platini.

Always remember Hoddle's goal against us to give Spurs the lead at Anfield in 82? before we came back to win 3-1 and seal another title.

Technically brilliant player was Hoddle but a massive tart when the going got tough.

Lawrenson was a brilliant Centre half. Our younger fans wont know, and will judge him is as he is on the telly, but trust me he was very good.

Hansen was the classier of the two but what a pairing they were and you only realise as you get older how good.

I remember watching Soccer AM - it was just the once, honest, it happened to be on the telly! - with that bit about taking an indoor soccer penalty. Archie Gemmill was on and, well, my jaw just dropped at the casual manner in which he slotted the ball into the top corner. You just knew if you asked them to do it again ten times he'd do exactly the same thing every time. You either got it or you ain't, and Lawrenson has it.

I've met Hansen a couple of times, I knock about with his nephew, he was fucking pished on both occasions and I got him to sign his Autobiography, very down to Earth and up for a laugh. I had a go at him about the number of Man Utd pictures in the book.

A truly great player and is given a bit of a hard time up here, which is a real shame.

• Upvote 2

Didn't Ferguson think both Alex Mcleish and Willie Miller were better options than Jocky for the 86 World Cup?

Grudges eh? Bloody hell.

Yes he did.

And therefore despite Scotland's attacking prowess giving them a chance at major tournaments,their comical GKs and defenders saw to it that they never really had a chance.

To be fair, in '86 Scotland only lost 3 goals, 2 to West Germany & 1 to an excellent Denmark side. Gordon Strachan scored our only goal in the defeat to the Germans. Miller & McLeish were very good defenders although I would agree that Hansen was left out due to the fact that Ferguson is a cunt of biblical proportions.

The attack was probably more of an issue than the defence that year.

• 8 years later...
  • 3 months later...