You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Seasonal affective disorder

Stouffer

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deffo real. I have to be very careful during the winter to go outside and see sunlight on my breaks or I go mental in the winter. Makes you really tired. I got it working in a hotel kitchen with no windows. I was working every day for two weeks and was exhausted and realised I hadn't seen daylight. Bad shit man.

Yep, totally for real. I wouldn't say I suffer from it, but there is a definite change in my mood when the days get longer and there is more daylight.

Hasn't someone invented a lighting system for people with no windows, so they get artificial daylight instead of darkness to avoid SAD?

Yep, totally for real. I wouldn't say I suffer from it, but there is a definite change in my mood when the days get longer and there is more daylight.

Hasn't someone invented a lighting system for people with no windows, so they get artificial daylight instead of darkness to avoid SAD?

Yeah I get it too mate.

My old boss went on Holiday to Norway a while back, he visited a village/town which was located in a valley to the far north, and the sun only ever crept over the top of the hills. But he said that when it did, the people used to scramble up the hill to see it like they were posessed.

Sounds like some 28 days later style shit.

You can get special lamps, but they're not cheap, I couldn't see offices fitting them as standard.

I think I have this to an extent. I always feel lazier in the winter, and crave stodgy food which is another symptom. I don't understand the psychological basis for it though. Dave would know.

Guest PaddyBerger15

I've got the reverse of this. Summer to me is absolute purgatory. I've got a condition where at times I have trouble controlling my body temperature and the bright light and heat/humidity stop me functioning properly...basically my body goes haywire, my brain has a fog descend on it so it like its caked in clay, my metabolism basically shuts down and I'm fucked.

Once Winter comes around, the days shorten and the temperatures drop I come alive, I'm energised and I'm at my best....mad as it sounds, I hate the Summer its 3 or 4 months of hell for me.

I've got the reverse of this. Summer to me is absolute purgatory. I've got a condition where at times I have trouble controlling my body temperature and the bright light and heat/humidity stop me functioning properly...basically my body goes haywire, my brain has a fog descend on it so it like its caked in clay, my metabolism basically shuts down and I'm fucked.

Once Winter comes around, the days shorten and the temperatures drop I come alive, I'm energised and I'm at my best....mad as it sounds, I hate the Summer its 3 or 4 months of hell for me.

FREAK! :biggrin:

RiS is it true that Sweden has high suicide rates due to the depression of darkness?

Can I come and do Ramadan there as its only daylight for a few hours? ;)

Yes, they say that's one of the causes of the higher suicide rates. As for coming here for Ramadan, this year as it starts tomorrow, you are better in the UK as there is more daylight here at the moment. So stay where you are. Please.

Guest PaddyBerger15
SKEET suffers from something similar to you Paddy, plus he comes out in these huge, ugly, raised welts where the sunlight hits his skin. It's no laughing matter. Unless you're hitting him with Gremlin jokes and stuff, then it is funny.

ooooh, that sounds nasty, but an endless source of amusement.

A lad in work reckons it's something lower classes use as an excuse for being lazy, apparently he reckons professional middle classes and above are not affected.

He's probably got a point, it sounds like a pretty pathetic excuse to get out of work to me. They should bring back national service for these SAD suffering cunts

A lad in work reckons it's something lower classes use as an excuse for being lazy, apparently he reckons professional middle classes and above are not affected.

He could have a point, the professional middle classes wouldn't have to work night shifts, or work in conditions ( no windows etc) that would cause you not to see daylight.

As for an excuse for being lazy, poke him in the eye, then tell him to fuck off and hit him with a spade, side on.

I read an article fairly recently, might've been in The Daily Mail which was pointing to a similar link between SAD and the lower classes. Apparently, there is also a significantly higher incidence of it within the criminal fraternity. But when you consider prison inmates (who would obviously be at greater risk of developing SAD) amongst this group, it would affect the results of the study, I suppose. I don't believe it is solely a disorder of the working classes though.

If I'm correct, it's caused as a result of a biochemical imbalance in the hypothalmus.

I'm pretty similar, mate. I feel a lot sharper during the winter months. It's quite odd.

Guest PaddyBerger15
I'm pretty similar, mate. I feel a lot sharper during the winter months. It's quite odd.

Its bizarre how it all works mate, you would think that warmer weather, sunlight in your eyes and sunshine on your back would perk you up no end...for me, its a real shite time...I do my hibernating in Summer.

I lose weight, get fit and sharp and feel really alive in the Winter. I'm not saying that I enjoy the howling wind and peeing down rain but just the temperatures cooling down sorts me out...I suddenly feel in control of things again.