You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Monarchy

Remmie

3 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Some of the animosity towards her because of the evils of the British Empire is just ridiculous. Like seeing a car wipe out a family and shouting abuse at the nodding dog on the dashboard.

I don’t think that’s right. She was the head of state and some of these actions bear her signature and assent. 

She wasn’t stupid, she knew exactly what was going on and made a conscious decision not to do anything about it.

Put another way, if Mandela had been made king, is that what he would have done? 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I posted it a few pages back bit here you go, from the HoC yesterday. Be warned, have hanky at the ready, this is extremely moving and not at all fabricated.

Sycophantic claptrap. The whole country, MPs, TV stations, Radio stations, to ex historians are all trying to sound more affected and more hurt than anyone else, it’s morphing in to some sort of grief contest. The bunch of weirdo’s.

8 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

I don’t think that’s right. She was the head of state and some of these actions bear her signature and assent. 

She wasn’t stupid, she knew exactly what was going on and made a conscious decision not to do anything about it.

Put another way, if Mandela had been made king, is that what he would have done? 

Yep, and she was more than happy to use her influence when it suited her:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/feb/07/revealed-queen-lobbied-for-change-in-law-to-hide-her-private-wealth

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/feb/08/royals-vetted-more-than-1000-laws-via-queens-consent

Really don't think there's a credible case for her being neutral or apolitical.

• Upvote 1

Her Indoors is really pissing me off with all this shite. I'm messing around with some new phone handsets I've bought, half watching Murdoch Mysteries. I look up and then realise I'm watching some senile old fart signing a book. Pissed off upstairs to finish the job.

Revenge is sweet. Went back downstairs while she's sitting on the loo. She is now unable to control the TV whilst having to listen to Tom & Jerry in New York.

• Upvote 2

I said to Mrs Willard just after her death that at least one celebrity would wreck their carear in the coming week. Surely it occurred to Trevor Sinclair that the majority of the listeners to day time talk sport would be massive pro royalists ?  Obviously not. People routinely underestimate how much the British public love the royals, the tradition and the connection to our history.  I’m not that fussed either way (though I think the institution and unwritten constitution act as a vital control rod against political extremism) but you’ve got to be pretty dim not to see how the wider public feel. 

8 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

I said to Mrs Willard just after her death that at least one celebrity would wreck their carear in the coming week. Surely it occurred to Trevor Sinclair that the majority of the listeners to day time talk sport would be massive pro royalists ?  Obviously not. People routinely underestimate how much the British public love the royals, the tradition and the connection to our history.  I’m not that fussed either way (though I think the institution and unwritten constitution act as a vital control rod against political extremism) but you’ve got to be pretty dim not to see how the wider public feel. 

Against political extremism? You are having a laugh.

• Upvote 2