You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Monarchy

Remmie

2 hours ago, Kevin D said:

I don’t think that’s right. She was the head of state and some of these actions bear her signature and assent. 

She wasn’t stupid, she knew exactly what was going on and made a conscious decision not to do anything about it.

Put another way, if Mandela had been made king, is that what he would have done? 

She was the leader of a dynastic family that is allowed to maintain its privileged position because it doesn't dissent from the establishment. That's the role. Hold your nose and rubber stamp whatever gets put in front of you.

They clearly feel they do more good than their silence over issues. We can disagree, but they're ultimately figureheads, and if they were to step beyond those roles I'd wager we wouldn't have a monarchy much longer.

If Mandela was raised in such a dynasty, he'd probably be much the same. We're all products of our upbringing and environment.

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Patagonia narrated by Pena from Narcos is on Sky nature if anyone is home and struggling to escape this fucking wailing. 

Apollo 13 for me, one of my favourite ever films. Perfect escapism from the absolute fucking bollocks going on atm.

I've got the box set of From the Earth to the Moon as well, been a while since I've seen that.

I might even have a Lord of the Rings fest and watch the extended trilogy after followed by The Hobbit extended trilogy.

I've got a lot of stuff I've never watched. Probably just as well really as there won't be a better time.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

She was the leader of a dynastic family that is allowed to maintain its privileged position because it doesn't dissent from the establishment. That's the role. Hold your nose and rubber stamp whatever gets put in front of you.

They clearly feel they do more good than their silence over issues. We can disagree, but they're ultimately figureheads, and if they were to step beyond those roles I'd wager we wouldn't have a monarchy much longer.

If Mandela was raised in such a dynasty, he'd probably be much the same. We're all products of our upbringing and environment.

Charles expressed an opinion over the Rwanda issue?

3 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

So there’s no consequence then?  Or is he still in the Tower?  Or did they chop his head off? 

49 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Scousers is trending on Twitter because, according to other sets of fans, the football this weekend was cancelled because we’d boo the national anthem.

It wasn’t, but I’ll happily own it.

Hang on, Sportsbible are reporting the PL and FA are trying to lay it at our door by implication.

6 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

So they have cancelled something because of the way other people may feel about what might happen ? 

I think they tried to get in first to show leadership in sport, only to watch rugby and cricket go their own way. They were then faced with a lot of pissed off football fans so they’ve thrown us under a bus knowing all of the horrible cunts will happily jump on us. This  is a cunt move by the football authorities and they’ve known exactly what they’re doing.

• Upvote 3