You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Lucas Neill.

Chris

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is a decent player no doubt but is out of contract in the summer. We will in effect be paying 2-3mill for a player with a few months left on his contract.

What would his full value be if he had 3 years left. 4 mill max I recon.

Well.

You got a good point there, but should we always think that way?

- Is Warnock worth 2-3mill in the summer? I don't think he's worth more than £1m now and that if we kept him in the squad he would go to a low league or championship club for like the fee Darren Potter left for. Potter was rated more than 200k a year ago, wasn't he? When Hearts wanted him.

- Is the time we'll be without a backup for the RB, and a good LB in 6months worth the 2m? If Finnan get injured and we're fucked up against Barca with no RB, wouldn't it be worth the 2m to have Neill in the squad?

I don't think you can think about the cash in that way you do always. There is more into it.

My opinion is that we should've traded Warnock with Neill in the summer transfer window and not used so much time. What do we got to loose? A local lad that have tried to get into the team, but don't got it? Like Potter, Mellor, etc.. Lets get real and face the reality.

Neill is a shithouse, without any doubt - however he is a quality Aussie international shithouse who is a better Left-Back than Warnock, a better Right-Back option than Carra, and can cover CB too. He also looks like a pirate, which is great, plus when we get hold of him the redtops will no doubt have fun with "Rafa sends for Lucas-aid", or some such piffle.

The real question that should be asked in this thread is "Where the fuck are those photos of Jontes' missus in the Liverpool strip that I have been waiting for for what seems an eternity?".

(This in turn leads to the question "How odd does 'for for' look in a sentance", but that is probably better off on the GF).

The real question that should be asked in this thread is "Where the fuck are those photos of Jontes' missus in the Liverpool strip that I have been waiting for for what seems an eternity?".

She ain't my missus anymore, I couldn't handle the jealousy part.. But I'll ask her for some pictures.. :)

I heard something on SSN as I was leaving today, saying the deal might be about to break down due to his wage demands. I'd be quite relieved if it did.

Its in the Mirror today - saying Neill is wanting £30,000 a week whereas Liverpool arent prepared to pay that much for him.

Will come down to what is more important Trophies or cash as other teams are willing to match his wage demands.

Its in the Mirror today - saying Neill is wanting £30,000 a week whereas Liverpool arent prepared to pay that much for him.

Will come down to what is more important Trophies or cash as other teams are willing to match his wage demands.

I'm glad to hear we're not prepared to pay that much for him. They should just put the contract in front of him and say sign it or fuck off. I can't believe after we tried to sign him in the summer, this is the 1st time terms have come up. It suggests to me Neill is perhaps jacking up his demends due to the interest from other clubs. There's no way we should make a big offer for a player of his limited ability.

Or optionally the Mirror are printing bollocks and sky are only too happy to repeat it!!

I'm glad to hear we're not prepared to pay that much for him. They should just put the contract in front of him and say sign it or fuck off. I can't believe after we tried to sign him in the summer, this is the 1st time terms have come up. It suggests to me Neill is perhaps jacking up his demends due to the interest from other clubs. There's no way we should make a big offer for a player of his limited ability.

Or optionally the Mirror are printing bollocks and sky are only too happy to repeat it!![/QUOTE]

Probably closer. The Mirror are dreadful. If its not in the echo dont listen.

Make up your mind, Benitez tells Neill

Jan 17 2007

by Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

LUCAS NEILL has been urged to put his career before his wallet, as Rafa Benitez warned he’s considering pulling the plug on the transfer.

Having reached agreement with Blackburn, Benitez hoped it would be a formality bringing the Australian defender to Merseyside.

But a rival bid for the 28-year-old from West Ham has delayed what seemed an inevitable switch from Ewood Park, with Stephen Warnock waiting to hear if he will be heading in the opposite direction.

Meetings with Neill’s representatives over the last 48 hours failed to resolve the situation, with Benitez unimpressed by revised wage demands in the light of West Ham’s interest.

Now Neill is on the brink of pricing himself out of a move to Anfield.

“We are continuing working on these things but we will not wait. If a player wants to come to play for Liverpool, he must say yes quickly,” said Benitez.

“If he thinks about it for too long, maybe it’s a signal it’s time for us to look for other players. We have alternatives.”

Liverpool are not prepared to increase their salary offer simply because a club fighting relegation has joined the race.

It’s hoped the player himself will now put footballing interests first.

The defender has consistently described Liverpool as his ‘dream move’, and a swift decision would even put him into contention for a place against Chelsea this weekend.

Neill is also eligible for the Champions League, as rules allow at least one player who has featured in the UEFA Cup to play in the elite competition.

The Reds believe the player himself still has his heart set on a move to Anfield, but as ever in these situations the advisors often have different notions of what is best for the player.

West Ham are on a major recruitment drive in a bid to avoid the drop, and are understood to be ready to pay as much as £50,000 a week to Neill.

That’s well in excess of what Liverpool will pay, although they have still offered a hefty salary to the player.

As a matter of principle, Benitez will not pay inflated wages simply because a rival club is prepared to go overboard.

For Benitez, the choice between Liverpool or West Ham is a no-brainer, and it’s now hoped Neill’s ambition to challenge for honours will override his pursuit of more money.

However, if there is no decision in the next 24 hours, the transfer is likely to be off.

Meanwhile, youngster Adam Hamill is to join Dunfermline on loan until the end of the season.

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/gn3/tm_method=full%26objectid=18490085%26siteid=50061-name_page.html

At least we know if he signs for us he is committed. We can't really lose.

Yeah, that's why Rafa is doing this but the fact that he's threatening to pull out suggests he's not committed. Fowler and Bellamy signed, no questions asked. Bellamy, if the reports are to be believed, signed on with a reduction of £15 000 - £20 000 a week, approximately £1 million a year compared to what Blackburn offered him. There were no threats of pulling out to Bellamy not to Fowler.

Yeah, that's why Rafa is doing this but the fact that he's threatening to pull out suggests he's not committed. Fowler and Bellamy signed, no questions asked. Bellamy, if the reports are to be believed, signed on with a reduction of £15 000 - £20 000 a week, approximately £1 million a year compared to what Blackburn offered him. There were no threats of pulling out to Bellamy not to Fowler.

I don't like the idea of changed wage demands, I agree. Glad we are playing hardball though. If he comes it is because he wants to be here, regardless of what has gone before. If he does, he gets my backing anyway.