You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Lucas Neill.

Chris

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WARNOCK IN £1.5m MOVE

Jan 18 2007

by Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

BLACKBURN remain keen to sign Steve Warnock despite the pending collapse of Lucas Neill’s move to Anfield.

Warnock was expected to head to Ewood Park as part of a swop, but now fears being left in limbo by Neill’s seemingly imminent decision to reject a switch to Liverpool.

Talks are ongoing on Warnock’s position, as Benitez looks to raise funds for alternative targets.

Liverpool want £1.5m for the 25-year-old full back.

Neill travelled to London last night for a West Ham medical, apparently preferring to join the relegation battle at Upton Park rather than the annual pursuit of honours on Merseyside.

Benitez was still awaiting confirmation, but it now seems only a late change of heart from Neill will change the outcome.

A clear difference in salary can be the only explanation for Neill’s decision, with Benitez stunned the defender is seriously considering snubbing the opportunity to face Chelsea this weekend, as well as the glamorous Champions League clash with Barcelona.

Although, on the surface, a gulf of around £20,000 a week in personal terms is massive, Neill would still have been handsomely rewarded at Anfield.

Meanwhile, Liverpool are ready to continue their fight to sign Javier Mascherano for as long as it takes, as FIFA contemplate whether to give the go-ahead to his transfer.

The Reds have compiled a list of similar deals, with players featuring for three clubs within the football calendar year.

Arsenal’s Jeremie Aliadere played for three clubs during loan spells last season, playing for Celtic, West Ham and Wolves between July 31, 2005 and June 30, 2006.

In the current season, Jonathan Stead began the campaign at Sunderland, moved to Derby on loan, and last weekend made his debut for Sheffield United.

Benitez believes there are more examples where exceptions have been made for the benefit of all parties.

The view within football is the law is appropriate when protecting clubs who fear losing players they’ve just signed, but when there is widespread agreement it seems illogical to stop a transfer proceeding.

The deal for Mascherano is also for a loan, so technically he’ll still be West Ham’s player until the end of the season should he move to Anfield.

In any event, Benitez is prepared to take the battle further.

“We are trying to find a solution with FIFA and believe we have a good case to appeal for the transfer to go ahead,” explained Benitez.

“People say we can’t do this deal, but why are there so many other examples? I know of one player who played for fours clubs in a year. There needs to be a solution and I still have confidence the player can join us. There are rules in football, but they are not laws that can’t be challenged. The Bosman case proved that.”

Meanwhile, Bolo Zenden has now resumed full training after recovering from a knee problem, while Momo Sissoko is edging closer to fitness.

Mark Gonzalez is also back in contention, having made a swift recovery from a shin injury.

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/gn3/tm_method=full%26objectid=18495544%26siteid=50061-name_page.html

It is embarassing that such a prick rejected us

Not really, Nobody in their right mind would choose to play in a relegation fight and more than likely in the championship come August over fighting with the top teams in both the league and europe, especially the Champions league which is suppsedly the dream competition for proffesional players. Not to mention winning honours on a coinsistant basis.

Niell's showed eveybody what type of player he is, the type that see's pound signs rather than success.

It's strange that he's opted for West Ham, when Blackburn offered him a bumper pay packet also.

I really didn't want this deal to come off and i'm glad it hasn't. He's too slow and gives away about 20-30 needless freekicks a game. I'm not believer in signing players that have preformed above their natural level at world cups or any other international tournaments. Diouf? Diao?

He's solid but not worth crying over. If we've got some cash we should throw it at southampton for Baines LB. He'd get up about 5 goals a season at free kicks alone.

For RB we just need a CB coming through so agger or carra can cover. Whats happened to Jack and Anti? Will they not make the grade?

It is embarassing that such a prick rejected us, we should never though have been in for him in the first place.

Giveover, we've refused to be ripped off that's all. That divvy has turned his back on Champions League footy for mid-table mediocrity with West Ham.

It's strange that he's opted for West Ham, when Blackburn offered him a bumper pay packet also.

I really didn't want this deal to come off and i'm glad it hasn't. He's too slow and gives away about 20-30 needless freekicks a game. I'm not believer in signing players that have preformed above their natural level at world cups or any other international tournaments. Diouf? Diao?

That's exactly what I have been thinking.

If it's more money and games he wants then why not just stay at Blackburn?

Maybe he wants to get back down to London?

Or maybe he likes playing for clubs who have fans of a certain reputation?

That's exactly what I have been thinking.

If it's more money and games he wants then why not just stay at Blackburn?

Maybe he wants to get back down to London?

Or maybe he likes playing for clubs who have fans of a certain reputation?

Maybe he is just a wanker twat

i agree with you,we've been stung so many times by signing players after a good tournament. for your diouf/diao, i give you my babb!

By the looks of things, someone who doesn't like money.

Here comes captain happy. Rafa has every right to do what he does with regards to players like Neill, Bellamy, Fowler etcetera. He tests their desire. What's the point in paying £50 000 a week for a player who is not going to be there for the right reasons? We need winners not people who chase money.

What mystifies me is that Curbishley was talking about the Bentley boy culture, players being interested in only the money and then he goes and signs Lucas Neill who, all things considered, appears to epitomise the term Bentley boy.

fancy expecting the poor lamb to get by on a measly 25,000 a week.

It's all relative. I can tell you now if someone offered to pay me double what I am on now to do a slightly shittier job, I'd bite their hand off.

Now Lucas Neill is clearly a "money-grabbing bastard" (as is anyone who works for a living, pretty much) but we need to start realising that we can't get away with continually offering less than market value all the time, and expecting the name of Liverpool Football Club to make the difference.

It's all relative. I can tell you now if someone offered to pay me double what I am on now to do a slightly shittier job, I'd bite their hand off.

Now Lucas Neill is clearly a "money-grabbing bastard" (as is anyone who works for a living, pretty much) but we need to start realising that we can't get away with continually offering less than market value all the time, and expecting the name of Liverpool Football Club to make the difference.

Yes we can and we will continue to do so. It tests the desire of those to play for the club and if they don't want to be here, fuck 'em, I'd rather not have them.

If you pay someone enough money, they'll want to be here. The idea that sentimentality matters is a nice idea, but it's almost always trumped by cold, hard finance.

It's not sentimentality, it's about finding people who are representative of the aims and desires of the club. Neill isn't. It's simple. We will lose players using this bargaining tactic but in the long term it pays off. Paying inflated wages for average players is ridiculous. £50 000 a week for Lucas Neill. It's Lucas fucking Neill. You'd have to be stupid or desperate to pay some middle of the range player who was only going to be a squad player that much.

So he's gone to West Ham - no great loss. No doubt he has a sell-clause should they go down. It will be really funny if we completely twat them end of January. I can't really see the players Curbishley is signing making that much difference.

Your argument would be valid if he hadn't thought the deal was ok until west ham came along.

Normally I would agree with those sentiments but not in this case. I think we offered him what he was worth. He obviously wanted more and the prospect of medals does not interest him. I would say well done to all the staff for refusing to be bummed by a what would essentially have been a squad player.

If we are in for world class players I agree we should offer top wages but not for someone of Lucas Niels dubious ability. Let him enjoy his cash while he drifts of into mediocrity

But fuck you should nearly be willing to play for free for Liverpool!

Whilst fans think that, footballs a totaly different world and players have every right to demmand what they think their ability can get, even if your signing for the club you've supported and loved all your life, if your a quality player and the club aren't offering you a good enough deal for a player of your calibre, you'd take that as disrespect and ask for an improved offer or fuck off somewhere else. Gerrard talks about how other top players in the world fall into the wage packet he now falls into and I suppose thats how players look at wages.

People talk about Robbie Fowler not even looking at his wages before he signed and just happy to be back playing for us, but do you honestly think if Robbie was in the prime of career and hadn't made his money already he still wouldn't? I think he would and I think he'd ask for alot more than what he's on now because his ability would demand it.

I used to say If I ever had an oppertunity to play proffesionally I'd be made up to be getting 200 quid, never mind two grand, but now, if I was a good player I'd be after as much as I could get...and why not? However given the choice between good money at a succesful side and better money at a shite team, the later wouldn't be an option.