You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Lucas Neill.

Chris

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neill, gave Arsenal their first goal these weekend by conceding a needless free kick...every game I watch he's a liability!

To be fair thats what most managers would call "clever" it just so happened they defended the free kick dreadfully, cant blame him for that. He's defo capable of doing stupid things but that wasnt one of them.

Maybe Rafa thinks he can work on the silly mistakes and get the best out of him.

He likes a challenge! I agree if you cut that shit out, he's a solid defender, but its no good giving blood and guts if you get sent off or give away goals through pens or free kicks in the process.

Presumably Rafa has seen what I'm worried about and does think he can straighten him out?

Guest shakeerah
Neill, gave Arsenal their first goal these weekend by conceding a needless free kick...every game I watch he's a liability!

watched him at ewood a couple of times and i think hes a good tackler with good crossing. he can be a bit rough at times but i do not think that warnock should be swapped. i happen to like warnock, good tackles and that and keeps riise on his toes (when hes fit).

Guest Rafa Benitez

Suppose we need someone for cover. But I wonder if we'd be better now just waiting until the summer and getting him for free?

Finnan has played a lot of games but now that we are out of the domestic cups he'll have plenty of free weeks to get rested up.

Carragher can slot in at right back if need be.

Just then have to hope we don't get any injuries to Agger or Hyppia.

Suppose we need someone for cover. But I wonder if we'd be better now just waiting until the summer and getting him for free?

Finnan has played a lot of games but now that we are out of the domestic cups he'll have plenty of free weeks to get rested up.

Carragher can slot in at right back if need be.

Just then have to hope we don't get any injuries to Agger or Hyppia.

You've answered your own question.

I've never been 100% convinced by Warnock, he's a squad player for me but that's all. I understand the reasons for letting him go too, namely balance in the squad - for all the stuff I keep reading on here about Neill at LB, surely he's being signed as cover for CB and for Finnan at RB? Especially since Rafa used Finnan as his example in his post-cups debacle press conference; "What am I supposed to do, play Finnan every match?" or something like that if I recall.

Still not keen on Neill though and I think they're getting by far the better deal if Warnock goes the other way. They're cheeky cunts haggling over the £500k too - he's worth it, but they clearly feel they have us over a barrel because we apparently want Lucas Neill right now rather than the end of the season.

(!)

I'd still rather see Finnan in against Chelsea though. Regardless of the kind of game he has, I trust Finnan to be on the pitch at the end of it.

I've never been 100% convinced by Warnock, he's a squad player for me but that's all. I understand the reasons for letting him go, namely balance in the squad - for all the stuff I keep reading on here about Neill at LB, surely he's being signed as cover for CB and for Finnan at RB? Especially since Rafa used Finnan as his example in his post-cups debacle press conference; "What am I supposed to do, play Finnan every match?" or something like that if I recall.

I'd still rather see Finnan in against Chelsea though. Regardless of the kind of game he has, I trust Finnan to be on the pitch at the end of it.

Neill however much of a wanker he is can play Left back, right back or centre half.

He therefore gives Rafa options to rest any of the members of his defence and replace them with experienced International with loads of premiership experience as well.

Neill it looks like isnt going to cost us anything and im pretty sure in the long run is only going to be used as cover however if we do decide to sell him on we are bound to make on the transfer.

I doubt it but you never know Lucas Neill might surprise us and turn out to be a good purchase. Not holding me breath though.

I think a lot of people are been a bit OTT with Warnock - he was a tryer ill give him that but his positional sense was terrible and his injury isnt much better.

Ask Blackburn fans if they think they are getting the better deal in losing their captain and swapping him for a Liverpool reserve.

Neill is a gobshite but going against the flow I think he's underrated and will be a good signing for us. We don't have any genuine tough men, now we will have one. He'll need to cut out the arsehole fouls and petulence and just be tough. I'd have no hesitation throwing him in at left back on Saturday against the Chavs. He will be the left back (first choice) because Riise has had a poor season and I have my doubts about Aurelio. I would consider pushing either on to left midfield though.

As for the Warnock issue... I like Warnock but he isn't ever going to be good enough. He's tough in the tackle and.... see what I mean? Good luck to him, would love him to be a success but I fear Blackburn is his level.

Ask Blackburn fans if they think they are getting the better deal in losing their captain and swapping him for a Liverpool reserve.

They have probably been just as underwhelmed when Freidal arrived but they got good value for money. Warnock has plenty of years ahead of him and with regular football might improve greatly. Apart from his positional sense he's got some good qualities.

They have probably been just as underwhelmed when Freidal arrived but they got good value for money. Warnock has plenty of years ahead of him and with regular football might improve greatly. Apart from his positional sense he's got some good qualities.

Warnock has some qualities. He has a big heart and always gives his best. He may develop into a good premiership player. But to do that he needs to play regularly, which he wont be able to here. Also his injury record speaks for itself. A straight swap between the two will be a good deal for both parties. We get a player who are better than the one who goes, while they get a decent player with potential, instead of facing the possibility of getting nothing for Neill.

We do need cover at the back, and at this time of year, Lucas Neill is the best option value for money.

I wish we were a bit more rutheless in our negotiations. We either seem to get shafted or it's fair for both sides. When do we ever get a crackin deal. IMO with Neils contract running ot in the summer we should have told Blackburn to fuck off kept Warnock and waited till the summer and got him for nowt. If he chose to go somewhere else for better money let him go.

If Lucas Neil wants to play for Liverpool he would have been here in the summer.

Guest Rafa Benitez
I wish we were a bit more rutheless in our negotiations. We either seem to get shafted or it's fair for both sides. When do we ever get a crackin deal. IMO with Neils contract running ot in the summer we should have told Blackburn to fuck off kept Warnock and waited till the summer and got him for nowt. If he chose to go somewhere else for better money let him go.

If Lucas Neil wants to play for Liverpool he would have been here in the summer.

I know, it's sooo unfair.

your right,Newcastle have been looking at Warnock it would make more sense to wait and get Neill for free and take around 2m for Warnock off those deluded twats.

But lets see the other side of this deal then?

We got one RB, in Steve Finnan. Yes, Carra can play backup, but what if Finnan get a long term injury? Agger and Sami in the middle, with what backup?

What value does Warnock really got? I don't rate him for more than £1m really, what have he prooved?

And how many Liverpool fans wasn't complaining about Simao, and why we didn't pay Benfica the extra money when he scored that belter against us at Anfield? It would have been a nice investment paying the extra money and having him on our team and probably get further in the CL.

We need a quality backup like Neill in our squad, and he is a player that is worth more than £2m when on a longer contract, so we are doing a good deal trading him with Warnock.

Still, I can see the concerns about us always beeing the club that have to adjust, and never get what we want. Like Milan Baros, we had to adjust our asking price. Like Alves, we had to bid more. It's seems to always be that way. Don't know why..

We need a quality backup like Neill in our squad, and he is a player that is worth more than £2m when on a longer contract, so we are doing a good deal trading him with Warnock.

Still, I can see the concerns about us always beeing the club that have to adjust, and never get what we want. Like Milan Baros, we had to adjust our asking price. Like Alves, we had to bid more. It's seems to always be that way. Don't know why..

We are a big club, that`s why. It doesnt only apply to us, but with every big club. When players leave Liverpool it`s usually to a smaller club, with lesser finances ( unless it`s newcastle ). Carrick for 18m... every Chelsea buy... And even though we meant Baros was worth more, what he has done at Villa doesnt exactly prove that. The same with Traore. Sold on for half the price after only 6 months.

If you take away Bosmans, big clubs will more often than not be shafted in transfer deals.

But lets see the other side of this deal then?

We got one RB, in Steve Finnan. Yes, Carra can play backup, but what if Finnan get a long term injury? Agger and Sami in the middle, with what backup?

I agree with that. We need cover for Finnan, if he go's out with an injury we'll all be pissin' an moanin' about how Rafa hasn't got any cover.

I agree with that. We need cover for Finnan, if he go's out with an injury we'll all be pissin' an moanin' about how Rafa hasn't got any cover.

Neill is cover for all the back four also. He is quality, he got the mentality and I think Rafa can get the best out of him. He is worth more to the whole squad than Warnock anyway.

Neill is cover for all the back four also. He is quality, he got the mentality and I think Rafa can get the best out of him. He is worth more to the whole squad than Warnock anyway.

He is a decent player no doubt but is out of contract in the summer. We will in effect be paying 2-3mill for a player with a few months left on his contract.

What would his full value be if he had 3 years left. 4 mill max I recon.