You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

When you are playing Football Manager...

RedinSweden

Do you go for Liverpool or do you work your way up to greatness staring in the lower leagues. I nearly always play as Shrewsbury and it is well hard getting them anywhere, but the joy of bringing in a quality scouted player for almost nothing is fantastic. There is also the joy of bringing in ace players in the year 2012 when they are 38 and shit.

You got to start low, I usually go Shrewsbury or Telford as thats where I spent my formative years, my Wife's sister used to date one of the players too which made it more interesting.

Jari always likes to sign for the Shrews!

EDIT - My other fave scenario, when Telford were still in the Conference was to give them a new stadium (The Arena in Telford Town Center, rather then reworking their current sh!tty stadium in Wellington like they decided to do - no wonder they went bust!!) and about £5 million. The scenario was that you would have to use that money wisely as there would be no more apart from what you generated, so wyou would need to work on building up your fan base and be a bit Redknappesque with your player tradings.

Ace.

Whenever I move to a club, I usually sell off a couple of players for a few quid, even if they are decent as it frees up cash and wages to bring in a bunch of freebies. Sadly Macca wasn't quite the same class as Jari

I always have 2 games going, 1 for a top team, might not be in England, could just as easily be France or Greece, and one from the conference. I don't have a preference for any of the conference teams, so take the first one offered to me.

The only time I ever go Liverpool is when the game has first come out as you know the general make up of the team and can concentrate on getting to grips with all the improvements. Once I'm up to speed I rarely if ever go Liverpool.

Best game I've played I started as Castel Di Sangro, and ended up at Barcelona via Piacenza, Napoli, Perugia, Verona, Cordoba, Tenerife, Getafe, Inter, Parma and Zaragoza and a few more I can't remember.

Decided I wanted to be a 2nd division manager for a while (after taking Di Sangro from Serie C to A) so resigned from clubs once they were promoted to Serie A/La Liga before taking on the likes of Parma and working up from their.

Problem is the further into the game you go the more corrupt the save game file gets so lost a season or two now and then when I'd forgotten to back up the game.

You got to start low, I usually go Shrewsbury or Telford as thats where I spent my formative years, my Wife's sister used to date one of the players too which made it more interesting.

Jari always likes to sign for the Shrews!

EDIT - My other fave scenario, when Telford were still in the Conference was to give them a new stadium (The Arena in Telford Town Center, rather then reworking their current sh!tty stadium in Wellington like they decided to do - no wonder they went bust!!) and about £5 million. The scenario was that you would have to use that money wisely as there would be no more apart from what you generated, so wyou would need to work on building up your fan base and be a bit Redknappesque with your player tradings.

Ace.

Whenever I move to a club, I usually sell off a couple of players for a few quid, even if they are decent as it frees up cash and wages to bring in a bunch of freebies. Sadly Macca wasn't quite the same class as Jari

You can't like Shrewsbury AND Telford. That's against the rules.

Did you go to school in Shrewsbury or Telford?

That post rules it reads 'I had trials for Blackpool when I was 14. 6 months' 'I was there for, nevermind'. They must spot potential real early !

hehe... i thought the same... maybe the reason they did`nt take you on was that they feared you would`nt handle the pressure when you shat your pants early on in the trials? ;)

as for the thread question...I usually have one team for each country I play, meaning i always manage three or 4 teams at the time...

Teams that I usually manage is... Scunthorpe ( havent got a clue why ) Hereford when they were in Vauxhall conference. I have managed St.Mirren loads of times and Groningen in Holland a few times. When I choose non-english sides it`s always sides i had soft spots for when I was a kid. But I rarely play more than 3 or 4 seasons... cos then there are usually a new version available, and playing 4 sides take some time.

Also some things that can be quite annoying is when players that used to be ace on former editions of the games turns out to be crap when the new one is released.

Remeber Ryan Zico-Black used to be absolutely ace in the lower league, and then when the new game come along he turns out to be absolutely Jermaine...

And when ace players turns out to only be fantasy players. Remember Nikos Iordannidis used to be superb in the 01/02 version... but have been looking for him ever since without success.

Also some things that can be quite annoying is when players that used to be ace on former editions of the games turns out to be crap when the new one is released.

Remeber Ryan Zico-Black used to be absolutely ace in the lower league, and then when the new game come along he turns out to be absolutely Jermaine...

And when ace players turns out to only be fantasy players. Remember Nikos Iordannidis used to be superb in the 01/02 version... but have been looking for him ever since without success.

Eidar Hadzemehmedovic 01/02 bought from Lyn mininum fee release clause 250,000. Completely ace.

You can't like Shrewsbury AND Telford. That's against the rules.

Did you go to school in Shrewsbury or Telford?

Telford - Dothill Junior, Charlton School & New College specifically - all in Wellington.

You from the same area?

In the olden days of CM I would use Telford, but since they went bust I use Shrewsbury.

Telford - Dothill Junior, Charlton School & New College specifically - all in Wellington.

You from the same area?

In the olden days of CM I would use Telford, but since they went bust I use Shrewsbury.

Shrewsbury lad since from the age of 2 to 18. My Dad taught at New College a couple of years back. I went to Longmeadow Junior, Priory School and Shrewsbury XIth Form, all in Shrewsbury.

9-18 for me, I have found memories of the place, my wife's family live Shrewsbury so we seem to end up there a fair amount.

Went to see them play a few times, as my dad knew the chairman at the time (can't remember his name, he was Jack Charlton's fishing buddy anyway) I was also his paperboy! What a claim to fame!

The only thing I hate about using Shrewsbury in CM/FM is their godawful kit and terrible stadium name. Some teams sound like they should be lower division and Shrewsbury is one of them, Telford though I thought had a chance!!

Anyone else ever bother with the sugar daddy scenario?

9-18 for me, I have found memories of the place, my wife's family live Shrewsbury so we seem to end up there a fair amount.

Went to see them play a few times, as my dad knew the chairman at the time (can't remember his name, he was Jack Charlton's fishing buddy anyway) I was also his paperboy! What a claim to fame!

The only thing I hate about using Shrewsbury in CM/FM is their godawful kit and terrible stadium name. Some teams sound like they should be lower division and Shrewsbury is one of them, Telford though I thought had a chance!!

Anyone else ever bother with the sugar daddy scenario?

Roland Wycherley?