You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Galatasaray Thread

Section_31

Aurelio is no better than Ian harte, im saying that now and couldnt care less what ANYONE says, i just dont see anything in him defensivly that makes me think any different, great going forward, but useless in defense

in fairness to Galatasaray, maybe we`re being a big disrespectful of them, we can say we played, which i think we did, but they played great, alot of teams at 2 nil down would have given up, but they finished the first half the stronger, and even dominated the second half after we scored the 3rd, credit where credit is due, they could have given up

the defense needs a right good kick up the arse though

The defense was exposed due to Gerrard and Alonso in the middle, who cannot play together there.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As has been said earlier on here we missed the defensive balance and organisation that the Momo and Alonso partnership gives us. Also when Gerrard plays on the right it at times becomes a central trio which helps us overpower teams.

Gerrard is not a central midfielder. He certainly doesnt do the things a Centre Mid should do if he is.

Way too many average performances in so many positions. Our left flank was like butter. As has been pointed out so many times already. Gerrard right and Alonso, Momo in the middle.

I really would like to see a fit again Kewell back on the left. That in my opionion is our strongest midfield against the best sides.

Pennant and Speedy have not yet to show me they are any better than what we have. It is very early days and they have plenty of time to come good.

Am I fuck plowing through all 7 pages of this thread, but here's my take on things:

Our left side was complete gash. Aurelio and Garcia might as well not have been there for all the protection they gave, and I'm staggered that Rafa didn't change things there at any point in the game (except for bringing on Gonzales, which was hardly going to help.) I also thought Reina looked dodgy at times, and he's starting to make me nervous when balls go into the box, which is never a good sign. Overall though I think credit should go to them for recognising our weaknesses and really going for us after the break. The two goals were quality, although the defending could have been better, and our performance only went downhill when the nerves started kicking in.

Not very many great performances on the whole, but Crouch and Finnan were very good; the former being my MoM. Anyway, can't complain too much... 3 points in the bag and onward we go. We'll have to be much stronger down the left side in future though if we're going to go on in the competition.

A good nervy three points. A lot to be learned from that performance, and a useful kick up the arse at this stage.

It was like the charge of the light brigade down the left - almost comically open with welcome mats covering that side of the pitch. Don't understand why Rafa didn't change that sooner. Aurelio has to wrap his head around playing in midfield - defensively as useful as a choclate fireguard. Some of his whipped in crosses were just fabulous though - impossible to defend.

Thought we missed Sami badly - Da Dagger had a reasonable game but we needed Sami's aerial dominance - he rules in most European games.

Rafa was right to give Stevie/ Xabi midfield another go, but further evidence that it doesn't work. Momo n Xabi is the combination that brings out the best in everyone.

Dirk looking a bit tired and strangely human.

Pennant started okay but faded again. Think he will make it but a bit short of confidence at the moment and cutting in too early again.

What can you say about Crouchinho ? -he's been threatening THAT goal for a while now - great that his confidence is such that he will try it. Another roundhouse for the Crouch hataz.

Way too many average performances in so many positions. Our left flank was like butter. As has been pointed out so many times already. Gerrard right and Alonso, Momo in the middle.

I really would like to see a fit again Kewell back on the left. That in my opionion is our strongest midfield against the best sides.

Pennant and Speedy have not yet to show me they are any better than what we have. It is very early days and they have plenty of time to come good.

Dream on! Seriously though, I agree that's our best midfield four, but in Kewell's absence I'd go Gonzalez, Xabi, Momo, Steven even though I advocate playing Gerrard in the middle. I would like to see Gerrard in the middle more, partly because I think Pennant could succeed here and showed promise again tonight despite what people are saying. That's the last time I'm posting anything about where Gerrard plays. Unless it's a Tuesday.

thought we weere poor tonight. Our good start & Gala's piss poor one was the difference. For the rest it was even or they had the better.

Gerrard & Alonso simply does not work. Just like West Ham there was far too much space in midfeild for the oppo. Our left side was weak defensively, although it proved 1 goal & 1 assist.

Aerially we poor in central defence tonight, not just defending crosses from the flanks, but facing up goal kicks from their keeper too. I can’t remember one ball headed with authority from either Carragher or Agger. I can see Agger being rested for the Bolton match and Sami coming in.

As has already been stated, Aurelio wasn’t the best defensively – especially with Garcia in front of him, and worryingly went walkabout into the centre on a few occasions, although he can pick a good pass and cross. At least JAR had a rest, ready for Bolton.

Alonso looked tired tonight, and Gerrard didn’t have his best game. Their midfield looked a lot faster and more incisive than ours. Pennant again lacked dynamism, the one occasion he went on a mazy run and tried to beat an opponent on the outside he over ran the ball past the by-line. Still has a lot to do.

Kuyt and Crouch linked up well. I’d give them another go at Bolton.

End of the day, 3 points in the bag.

I can`t believe stick Gerrard`s taking on here, he was the driving force of our great start and set the tempo. He was also unlucky not to score on a least two occasions. Yes we were overrun in midfield in the 2nd half but why put all the onus on Gerrard? He`s the offensive midfielder, Alonso`s supposed to be the holding player but he gave scant protection to the defence, also his passing was poor, he was caught in possession more than once and was just generally leaden footed. Credit to Gala though, once they`d worked out our weak spots they played us brilliantly, especially down our left and I thought the right midfielder for them ( the bald one) was excellant. Reina just doesn`t convince me at all, he`s looking shakier by the week. Why can`t he just fucking catch the ball now and again. Anyway a wins a win and we created chances so I`m happy.

On a side note, the Turkish fans usually get a bad press but tonight the Gala` fans were great. They really got behind their team at 0-3 and were very gracious in defeat singing `Liverpool` at the end and even outside the ground walking back to their coaches. A well done to them.

I'd like to take a moment out here to say somthing about the Galatasaray fans. I don't know how many of you saw this at the game but as Anfield was nearly empty the Galatasaray fans were singing "LIVERPOOL! LIVERPOOL!" I thought it was a nice touch considering the rep they have. I thought they were alright tonight .

Thats all really, carry on.

Guest molbyscorchio
Not very many great performances on the whole, but Crouch and Finnan were very good; the former being my MoM. .

Jeepers. I didn't go tonight, but fuck me.

Its not Gerrard fault one bit, Sissoko and Gerrard is our best CM pairing if we had Daniel Alves right side, If pennant doesnt improve and we wasted our money then Gerrard will have to move to RM until next summer.

I also think Kuyt/Bellamy is the best combination upfront but Crouch is currently the most effective striker we have.

its two from 3 in CM and 2 from 3 upfornt

Tough choices for Rafa come saturday, but id go with kuyt and Crouch for that game

Its not Gerrard fault one bit, Sissoko and Gerrard is our best CM pairing if we had Daniel Alves right side, If pennant doesnt improve and we wasted our money then Gerrard will have to move to RM until next summer.

I also think Kuyt/Bellamy is the best combination upfront but Crouch is currently the most effective striker we have.

its two from 3 in CM and 2 from 3 upfornt

Tough choices for Rafa come saturday, but id go with kuyt and Crouch for that game

It is still early doors yet Nick and I think Pennant and Gonzalez will need another few months to find their feet. One thing is, they are half decent back-up.

Riise has to come back in at left back, that much is obvious. I thought the centre backs were badly exposed last night. If not Riise then Ste Warnock.

Gerrards best position in the team at the moment is wide right. It just gives the team so much more. Pennant has not been shite - far from it - he is just nowhere near Gerrards level. That is no slight on Pennant. Undecided about the left side but as I said earlier, I really would like to see a fit Harry Kewell.

Agree with up front any two from three. Gotta feel sorry for Robbie but he will get his chances over the season. Crouch has to keep his place after his preformance last night.

The consensus, quite rightly, is that whatever midfield we play Momo has to play the holding role. I think he has the fitness to play most games but what about when he is suspended, which will happen a lot and no doubt for big games. Who will hold our midfield, Zenden - i think not.

The defence was exposed due to the inadequacies of Alonzo/Gerrard/the partnership/absence of Momo?

Bollocks!

The Defence was exposed because we play higher up the pitch than we did last sason with two wingers and two strikers, and have by the way scored eight goals in three games. Why does everything always have to be a blame exercise? We won the match and scored quality goals all from superb crosses (something we've done all to rarely over the last few years)

I can`t believe stick Gerrard`s taking on here, he was the driving force of our great start and set the tempo. He was also unlucky not to score on a least two occasions. Yes we were overrun in midfield in the 2nd half but why put all the onus on Gerrard? He`s the offensive midfielder, Alonso`s supposed to be the holding player but he gave scant protection to the defence, also his passing was poor, he was caught in possession more than once and was just generally leaden footed. QUOTE]

but Xabi needs movement and people to make space for him to pass to, he cant do the defending of 4 men, well 5, Aurelio hardly helped, and then expect him to ping a 40/50 yard EVERY time, its impossible, Gerrard wasnt looking for the easy pass enough off his fellow midfielders last night, he has a tendency to do that, jut run up to the box and expect it there at his feet, we dont have Paul Daniels in midfield to just wave his magic wand

Gerrard has the ability, of course we all know that, but the blood rushes to his head far too much

Got to say my piece about last night. I haven't read what else has been posted and I'm probably going to repeat it but fuck it here's my take on it. From my view from the executive box (had to get that in). The first half we where a diferent class. Good fluid passing. Pennant did a good job and we looked strong on the right. However I am losing patience with Aurelio. He is looking to be a bit of a flop. Defensively he's shite, no question about that. Coming forward he does well - typical Brazilian full back. I think he'd be more suited on the left. When Sas came on second half he changed the game. His runs drew Aurelio in and badly exposed our left side. The result was 2 goals. The first pissed me off as Aurelio lost it and just strolled back, what the fuck is that about you prick? Get it together or you will have the label "the next Traore". Good to see Crouch nab two and a good performance too. And once again - Dirk fucking Kuyt, fucking superb.