You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kewell Kewell Kewell

Stouffer

Football: War on Harry

Pals all set to clash in the FA Cup Third Round

By Paul Ferguson

01 January 2006

WARREN Feeney plans to give his best mate a kicking on Saturday...

It's nothing personal - Harry Kewell and Feeney have been close pals since their days at Leeds United five years ago.

However Kewell is now a key player at European Champions Liverpool - Luton Town's opponents in the FA Cup Third Round.

And Feeney has warned his mate to expect a warm reception at Kenilworth Road next weekend.

Mighty Liverpool will be red hot favourites to progress over the Bedfordshire outfit, who were only promoted last year but have been the surprise package this season in the Coca Cola Championship.

But Feeney believes Mike Newell's marauders will certainly not be overawed by the Premiership superstars.

And even though the 24-year-old insists he is excited about meeting up again with Harry, their friendship will definitely be put on hold for at least 90 minutes.

"Harry's been on the phone a few times this week and we've been bantering each other about the game," says Feeney.

"He wants to know how cold it is in Luton at the minute and what our stadium is like? Of course I've been filling his head with rubbish. I'm not going to tell him anything that will give him or his Liverpool team-mates an advantage over us.

"They don't need it, Liverpool are the champions of Europe and have gone on an amazing run of games without defeat.

"They're playing really well at the minute but I doubt they'll enjoy their visit to Kenilworth Road. I'm sure they will not be looking forward to playing us.

"Ever since the draw was made, all our players have been looking forward to the game. The manager told us weeks ago we had to concentrate only the Christmas games but of course on a few occasions we've be thinking about the Liverpool game.

"How can you not think about Steven Gerrard, Jamie Carragher and the rest coming here?

"Some of my team-mates are Liverpool fans so it will be great occasion for them.

"It obviously makes it more interesting for me with Harry playing. He's had a bad time with injuries over the years and was really down but now he's back and from the games I have watched on television he's looking really good again.

"I had to cheer him up a bit last season. Now hopefully his injury nightmare is over and he'll continue to be fit.

"It will be great to catch up with him and give him a right kicking on the pitch!" he jokes.

Feeney hasn't seen his pal since spending a family holiday at the Australian's private villa in Portugal last summer.

They've kept in contact via mobile phone and when Kewell's actress wife Sheree Murphy was on ITV hit show 'I'm a Celebrity Get me Out of Here', Feeney was quick to text his old mate to joke about some of the challenges she had to endure.

He even voted for her to win - 43 times!

It kept Feeney smiling while he was left frustrated on bench 'resting' for six weeks.

The east Belfast striker, who is an avid Linfield fan and was delighted to hear the Blues had hammered Glentoran on Boxing Day, only returned to Luton's starting XI for Wednesday night's 3-0 victory over Brighton - a game which saw Feeney score the Hatters' second goal.

And he is hoping that performance will be enough to keep his place in the team to face Liverpool.

Feeney adds: "I was really disappointed to miss so many games recently. It wasn't funny!

"When I came back from playing Portugal in November, the manager brought me into his office and told me he wanted me to have a rest.

"I assumed that was one game, maybe two but I never thought it would be around six. I couldn't understand why the boss wanted me to have a rest, I felt fresh and wanted to play.

"But he said I'd been playing in every game since the season started and with my international commitments, he insisted I take a rest.

"It was frustrating sitting on the bench, I was desperate to play. Thankfully Mike brought me back for the match against Brighton on Wednesday night and I scored.

"Hopefully that will convince him I should be starting more regularly and cement my place in the team."

Before Saturday's huge FA Cup match at Kenilworth Road, Feeney and his Luton team-mates have the small matter of a local derby match against Watford tomorrow lunchtime.

It's a vital match for eighth placed Luton as they aim for a Play-off position. And Feeney has been made aware to expect a thunderous battle.

"I've heard it will be a real kicking match, plenty of tackles flying in and each side determined to send their fans home happy," says Feeney.

"But I don't mind being knocked down, I'll just get back up. It's going to be an experience for me."

Feeney certainly shows no sign of nerves ahead of two massive games this week, taking all in his stride.

He insists: "I'm more nervous about not making the team rather than playing against Liverpool. We're taking on the European champions and I want to be part of it.

"We honestly believe we can cause an upset - Crystal Palace beat them earlier this year in the Carling Cup so it can be done.

"Whatever happens I'll buy Harry a pint afterwards, I'll then offer to take him out in Luton but I doubt he'll be allowed."

Hardly surprising, if he's just received a kicking from him...

he still can't get an aggresive shot on goal. I know hes been setting up a few and doing well in the midfield but when is he gonna start scoring a few.

I seem to remember a shot he had yesterday from about 25 yards out, that was flying in the top corner and the keeper just managed to tip it over.

Bruno Cheyrou once got a standing ovation/clapped off.

As for Kewell, well done so far but the lad got fat which is unexecusable on 60K a week. Even I'd quit eating bacon for that wage packet. As for the thousands of doctors in Istanbul, well once bitten twice shy.

Unlucky not to score vs Given.

Haircut has to go.

Would that have been the Newcastle cup game or the Chelsea away league game? It could'nt be anything other than those two.

Just after those matches. I'll always remember the Chelsea match as I was on holiday in Mexico. Checked the score on the Internet cafe they had at the resort, went to the bar where there was a fellow Red and order two Corona's and said , Cheers to Bruno Cheyrou.

I'm with VV: he's still overweight and needs to continue playing at this level for months rather than a few games. However, I do get the feeling that once he scores, he'll start banging them in.

Clearly the injuries have affected him (although I suspect it's more mental than physical), but he strikes me as yet another confidence player. When the pressure and expectation is completely off him (ie, most Reds thinking he's past it in a team that's good enough to no longer need him), he comes good. Long may it continue, but I'll reserve judgement for a bit longer yet.

• 15 years later...

Pointless Sunday night YouTube trawl led me to watching a few vids, among them was one of all Kewells goals for Leeds. 

Fuck me. What a fucking player that lad was.  And to think he joined us at age 24, his best years seemingly ahead of him. That was incredible bad luck for us and Houllier. 

I don't think he was cryarsing, I think his injuries were genuine, and I think we were robbed of a world class player. Two footed, good in the air, rapid, vision, goals, he had it all. 

• Upvote 1

Strewth...

Kewell's transfer was controversial because it was alleged by former England captain Gary Lineker in an article in July 2003 that a significant portion (£2 million of the £5 million) went to Kewell's unregistered agent Bernie Mandic to ensure that he ended up at Anfield.[32][33] In a related matter, Kewell sued Lineker in 2005 for defamation of character, but, with the jury unable to agree on a verdict, the parties had to settle out of court.[34]

Guest Alex_K

He was a very good player. In terms of contemporary equivalent, I'd wager someone like Son Heung Min may be similar? Not 'world class', but certainly verging on that elite attacker level. Injuries robbed him of a lot.

3 hours ago, Daisy said:

He looked shite with us before the injuries. Houllier kept playing him right wing and was cack 

Yes, I think Ged's idea was similar to how we now utilise Mane and Mo. I saw him at the Ajax pre-season tournament in that role, and he looked really awkward and ponderous.

5 hours ago, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

Yes, I think Ged's idea was similar to how we now utilise Mane and Mo. I saw him at the Ajax pre-season tournament in that role, and he looked really awkward and ponderous.

Yeah but we needed width badly in that team as we would often play with 3 or 4 central midfielders