You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

Anubis

8 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

image.png.815d12c43acef2b502e6636a8779cfe4.png

Someone who has these types of numbers isnt obviously fucking shit and deserves at least a look. 

Not 1 goal or assist against a side in the top 6

1 goal in 7 in champions league

5 in 28 for the national team

If he was good Dortmund wouldn't have been looking to move him on for the past year. 

1 minute ago, Lee909 said:

Not 1 goal or assist against a side in the top 6

1 goal in 7 in champions league

5 in 28 for the national team

If he was good Dortmund wouldn't have been looking to move him on for the past year. 

You are not going to find many players with that sort of goal threat. Whether it is actually real and transferrable to a top team is why you also have scouts. 

On 19/03/2024 at 05:21, Ne Moe Imya said:

Seeing as the main conflict between Klopp and Edwards last time was over giving long-term contracts to older players, I seriously doubt that Edwards is going to make a 29+ player on huge wages his big signing this summer. In other words, Kimmich ain't happening.

It's a bit interesting to think of the kind of moves we made when Edwards was really running the show (so the last half of Brendan's time here and the first half of Klopp's) and wonder what we might do in that sort of vein this summer. I still think there's a decent chance Salah goes, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a player or two in there as well that we wouldn't expect (Gakpo?). Edwards always did his best work on the sales side, good as he was at buying players.

Edwards isn't doing that job..he's going to leave it to Hughes. He'll have to sign off on deal like mike gordon would have and I would expect him to set parameters for signings and if they are outside them, there will need to be an exception process. But I really don't think he'll be in the detail of this. In fact if he is, he's not doing his job. 

4 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Edwards isn't doing that job..he's going to leave it to Hughes. He'll have to sign off on deal like mike gordon would have and I would expect him to set parameters for signings and if they are outside them, there will need to be an exception process. But I really don't think he'll be in the detail of this. In fact if he is, he's not doing his job. 

Hughes seems by all accounts close enough to Edwards that he will probably be an extension of Edwards, of sorts.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

Hughes seems by all accounts close enough to Edwards that he will probably be an extension of Edwards, of sorts.

Everything I've heard about Hughes is he's very much is own man. FFS he's Gary O'Neill's mate and didn't think twice about firing him to bring in iraola. So he might be aligned with Edwards style of thinking, it would be really weird if Edwards hired someone who didn't have a similar outlook. But the reality is, Edward's doesn't want to be our sporting director. He doesn't want to be arsed selecting players. It's why he left. It's why he turned down the chance to do it elsewhere. It's why he turned down the chance to do it here when asked back. We got him back specifically on the terms he wasn't doing that. And if Hughes discovered his role here was to be a box ticker on behalf of his boss, I'm sure he'd be leaving as quickly as he arrived. I just think people need to stop thinking of Edward's as our sporting director. It's the last thing Edward's wants to be. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

You'd have to assume at this stage nothing will happen with renewals until the new manager comes in. Suits both sides really.

I fundamentally don’t believe we’ve let VVD, Trent and Mo get to 12m on their respective contracts without any discussions.

It wouldn’t surprise me if the financials are all agreed but they’ll want to speak to any new manager / sporting director to make sure all parties want to continue together. 

27 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I fundamentally don’t believe we’ve let VVD, Trent and Mo get to 12m on their respective contracts without any discussions.

It wouldn’t surprise me if the financials are all agreed but they’ll want to speak to any new manager / sporting director to make sure all parties want to continue together. 

Yeah, I think we'll have kept in contact with agents and will know roughly what's necessary for renewal.

Of them all VVD's probably the most obvious to keep though, as it's hard to see a new manager not wanting him. Trent and Mo, great as they are, may be slightly trickier if they don't fit tactically with someone like Alonso's plans.

Still think they'll all renew, mind.

52 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

If we sell Trent, I’ll act incredibly surprised…

IMG_1129.png

Cannot believe this Fabrizio cunt is making a living out of this shite.

Stating a fact about contract expiry which every human and dog knows, followed by saying he doesn't have a clue what Liverpool or the player think. Along with the classic "monitoring" bit. 

• Upvote 1

I think players nowadays want to try other countries and leagues.  You constantly hear ex-pros saying how they regret not going abroad.  Roy Keane was only recently saying he regrets turning down Bayern Munich when he did.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if Trent was considering Spain.

I'm not saying he will want to leave as he's spoken before about being Liverpool's Captain one day, but the idea a top player like him would never want to consider a top team in a top league in a different country is wrong imo

34 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Reasonable summer targets then? 

Guimares

Douglas Luiz 

Isak 

Muisala? 

I’d take any or all of them thanks. 

Isak is a crock.

Does anyone really have an issue with us generally not buying older players? It’s been a great policy for us over the last decade. 

Fine if it isn’t a huge outlay like Endo, but I’d rather have Mac Allister than Casemiro and Konate over Varane or Thiago Silva. 

Serious mercenary vibes around a lot of those lads. Hunger long since gone and no hope of offloading them if/when it doesn’t work out. 

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Does anyone really have an issue with us generally not buying older players? It’s been a great policy for us over the last decade. 

Fine if it isn’t a huge outlay like Endo, but I’d rather have Mac Allister than Casemiro and Konate over Varane or Thiago Silva. 

Serious mercenary vibes around a lot of those lads. Hunger long since gone and no hope of offloading them if/when it doesn’t work out. 

Especially Brazilians. Once they reach 30 most of them are done motivation wise. Except a very few.

• Upvote 1

Didn't Dave mention in a podcast a few weeks or months ago that someone at the club ( I know, bare with me), suggested Trent is going nowhere and wants to captain the club. Be a bit odd for him to come out with the stuff about City and then down runner on a free not long after.