You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

Anubis

13 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Diaz' dad is gagging for Spain. Another choice quote from him. It's quite funny. 

Diaz has probably expressed an interest in going to Spain, hence his dad's remarks. I don't see Real or Barca coming in for him so he'll have to settle for a middling club out there. 

1 hour ago, Baltar said:

Diaz has probably expressed an interest in going to Spain, hence his dad's remarks. I don't see Real or Barca coming in for him so he'll have to settle for a middling club out there. 

I read what he said earlier. I'm not sure why he's speaking to Spanish radio, but I'm not sure he said anything controversial. Pretty much he'd have liked to have gone to Spain when he left Portugal, but Liverpool was the offer despite talk of the Madrid clubs. But there's still a chance he can go to Spain because he's still playing or something like that. And if the lad wants to go, providing we get the right price, he's certainly not irreplaceable, despite the fact he's clearly a top player. I've no idea who'd pay what we want though. 

Whatever about translations, Diaz is good, but not so good that I’d be overly concerned about him looking to move on once we got a good fee. I’d feel very differently about Nunez, who is an absolutely unique attacker. 

I think we'd have been fucked without him this season and don't really trust chiesa or whoever to come in and improve things. But also, if there were strong interest, it wouldn't be the worst change in the world to try and make, especially if he wants to get a base in a Spanish speaking country for his family.

Now, if Edwards and Hughes can get a chubb up for the Georgian lad, I wouldn't mind at all. But no idea how the stats play out.

• Upvote 1

Wasn’t the story last summer that the Saudis were going to offer £50m for Diaz and the words from our journalists were along the lines of “It would need to be a lot more than that to convince Liverpool to sell”?

Look at the difference between that and Salah, who was a straight no for the last summer window. 

IMO, the above means the club would be open to sell Diaz, at the right price. Like others have said, he’s a really good player but he isn’t irreplaceable. I don’t mind that he doesn’t get huge amounts of goals because he’s part of a side that gets goals from everywhere, I do get annoyed that he isn’t clinical enough with the chances he does get. 

IMO, we’d be able to replace Diaz reasonably easily. 

20 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Diaz' dad is gagging for Spain. Another choice quote from him. It's quite funny. 

It’s like the photo of myself and Papa Diaz at Crystal Palace meant nothing to him. 

• Upvote 1

FWIW, I don’t see us spending loads in the summer. 

I expect Salah to leave and expect he’ll be replaced in some capacity. I think Trent and VVD extend. 

I think we’ll buy a left sided defender of some description as well. 

I’d like a #6 but I’m not convinced we’ll go for one.

Unless we have more departures (Keheller, Diaz etc) then I think that’ll be it and we’ll focus on best up and coming youngsters and focusing on developing the youngsters we have (Quansah, Chambers, Gordon, Doak, Morton etc).

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Wasn’t the story last summer that the Saudis were going to offer £50m for Diaz and the words from our journalists were along the lines of “It would need to be a lot more than that to convince Liverpool to sell”?

Look at the difference between that and Salah, who was a straight no for the last summer window. 

IMO, the above means the club would be open to sell Diaz, at the right price. Like others have said, he’s a really good player but he isn’t irreplaceable. I don’t mind that he doesn’t get huge amounts of goals because he’s part of a side that gets goals from everywhere, I do get annoyed that he isn’t clinical enough with the chances he does get. 

IMO, we’d be able to replace Diaz reasonably easily. 

In reality, pretty much all Diaz is providing is a reasonably good wide outlet. Not much else in his game is top class, although he does have fantastic intensity and attitude.

30 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

In reality, pretty much all Diaz is providing is a reasonably good wide outlet. Not much else in his game is top class, although he does have fantastic intensity and attitude.

Think that’s harsh. Makes him sound like Albert Riera or Antonio Nunez. 

26 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Think that’s harsh. Makes him sound like Albert Riera or Antonio Nunez. 

It's not harsh. He's scored at a rate of 1 in 4 here. It's just factual to say that as a forward what you're getting from him is more of an outlet than a complete forward.

To be fair, an argument in his favour; under Klopp, we haven't necessarily needed him to be more than that as he is 1 of 5 players and they all offer different things. Together the forward line is quite complete in terms of profiles.

14 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's not harsh. He's scored at a rate of 1 in 4 here. It's just factual to say that as a forward what you're getting from him is more of an outlet than a complete forward.

To be fair, an argument in his favour; under Klopp, we haven't necessarily needed him to be more than that as he is 1 of 5 players and they all offer different things. Together the forward line is quite complete in terms of profiles.

He’s been a mainstay in a side that has scored >100 goals already this season, with hopefully, 15 games to go. He clearly does more than hold his position. 

As I said earlier, I’m not that bothered about his goal rate as the whole is better than the sum of its parts. I do get annoyed he isn’t clinical enough when the chances come. 

5 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Seeing some Twitter talk of Kubo in the summer. Assume he’d be Mo’s replacement. Know nothing of him after that though. 

He looks about 8 stone soaking wet

44 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

He’s been a mainstay in a side that has scored >100 goals already this season, with hopefully, 15 games to go. He clearly does more than hold his position. 

As I said earlier, I’m not that bothered about his goal rate as the whole is better than the sum of its parts. I do get annoyed he isn’t clinical enough when the chances come. 

Yes, under Klopp, with his style of football and with the team built in a specific way,  with a lot of forward depth.

Except,  Klopp wont be the manager anymore, we have a new CEO, plus Director of Football and he probably is totally fine with leaving.

38 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Except,  Klopp wont be the manager anymore, we have a new CEO, plus Director of Football and he probably is totally fine with leaving.

Leverkusen & Sporting both score lots of goals. I don’t know enough about Sporting, like us Leverkusen score from all over the pitch.

To say that any new coach or hierarchy wouldn’t want Diaz is guess work. 

On 26/03/2024 at 22:18, an tha said:

You'd think after the support the club has given to him and his family (which was of course the right thing to do) he'd have a bit more respect for us and frankly class than to go begging in the media for another club to sign his lad.

Yeh,  pity those bandits' shooting is worse than his son's.