You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Was listening to The Athletic podcast earlier. Tony Evans, James Pearce and Simon Hughes were on it. 

Didn’t really say a great deal, got the impression they’re under the belief Xabi will replace Klopp - they mentioned Xabi significantly more than Amorim.

They also spoke about VVD, TAA & Mo’s new contract. Again, despite not giving much away, they sort of agreed TAA & VVD will renew and they wouldn’t be surprised if Mo was playing elsewhere come August. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Was listening to The Athletic podcast earlier. Tony Evans, James Pearce and Simon Hughes were on it. 

Didn’t really say a great deal, got the impression they’re under the belief Xabi will replace Klopp - they mentioned Xabi significantly more than Amorim.

They also spoke about VVD, TAA & Mo’s new contract. Again, despite not giving little away, they sort of agreed TAA & VVD will renew and they wouldn’t be surprised if Mo was playing elsewhere come August. 

Seems to be the common sense consensus but a lot can happen between now and the start of next season.

5 hours ago, Scott_M said:

IMG_1181.jpeg

I love Davies obviously but he'd get shat on at Madrid unless the experienced players in the room tell him to just make runs down the left all game every game.

He is at times a nightmare to watch for Canada. Thinks he's Messi.

24 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I love Davies obviously but he'd get shat on at Madrid unless the experienced players in the room tell him to just make runs down the left all game every game.

He is at times a nightmare to watch for Canada. Thinks he's Messi.

Imagine that left side. Davies, Vinicius, Mbappe. Doesn't make sense but then neither do Real 

21 hours ago, Scott_M said:

FWIW, I don’t see us spending loads in the summer. 

I expect Salah to leave and expect he’ll be replaced in some capacity. I think Trent and VVD extend. 

I think we’ll buy a left sided defender of some description as well. 

I’d like a #6 but I’m not convinced we’ll go for one.

Unless we have more departures (Keheller, Diaz etc) then I think that’ll be it and we’ll focus on best up and coming youngsters and focusing on developing the youngsters we have (Quansah, Chambers, Gordon, Doak, Morton etc).

Been thinking a bit more about this, this afternoon. 

The more I think about it, the less convinced I am we’ll do big business. 

Let’s say, for arguments sake, Xabi comes in and we go to 3-4-3 (Amorim plays 3-4-3 as well but I’ve seen more of Leverkusen). 

From what I’ve seen so far, I think Bradley has more winger / penalty area smarts than Trent and would be better suited to that wide right role.

I’m not convinced Robbo or Tsmiskas fill a similar role in the left, maybe we’ll look to do something there. 

If it is 3-4-3, we definitely need a left footed centre back - Colwill, Hincapie, Branthwaite etc etc. 

After that, do we need much?

While I think Mo would need replacing, you can’t really say we’ve missed him since January? 

If Mo left and we replaced him with Wirtz / Musiala / etc (which would be expensive), if Diaz were to leave, I don’t think we’d replace him. 

I think the thought of Xabi turning Trent into Xabi II is the stuff wet dreams are made of. Szoboszlai could the move further forward like he was at RBL & Hungary. 

Trent in midfield the lessens the need for a #6 and I completely forgot Bajectic will be back soon.

I think we’d potentially get more from Elliott & Gakpo in those half #8/#10 positions that Wirtz & Musiala play in. I think Jones could do that role as well and IMO, Mac Allister has been our best player since he moved further forwards (I get I was fully backing Mac Allister at #6 earlier in the season - he’s another level further forwards). 

We have great options absolutely everywhere.

• Upvote 2

Agree with alot of that though I doubt we go for another CB unless one of Gomez, Quansah is moved on.

31 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Trent in midfield the lessens the need for a #6

Why, because of his defensive contribution there?

5 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Agree with alot of that though I doubt we go for another CB unless one of Gomez, Quansah is moved on.

Why, because of his defensive contribution there?

If we go 3-4-3, we only have 4 centre backs, 5 is you count Nallo, who is 18 in November, which feels like a stretch. Were certainly short a left footer there. 

I think Trent could be a hugely effective #6. Xabi wasn’t the defensive minded, not compared to Mascherano or Sissoko, but his positioning was great and he wasn’t afraid to put a foot in, I can see Trent being the same, with better athleticism. 

11 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

If we go 3-4-3, we only have 4 centre backs, 5 is you count Nallo, who is 18 in November, which feels like a stretch. Were certainly short a left footer there. 

I think Trent could be a hugely effective #6. Xabi wasn’t the defensive minded, not compared to Mascherano or Sissoko, but his positioning was great and he wasn’t afraid to put a foot in, I can see Trent being the same, with better athleticism. 

Robbo isn't going anywhere. He will play and I agree he isn't going to be in midfield/wingback. Maybe the Greek gets moved on.

I am going to have to disagree on the last bit - Trent is nowhere near as big, strong or as adept defensively as anyone you have mentioned there.

Positioning is one of Trent's biggest weakness'.

Xabi was one of the greatest readers of the game ever, Trent is not.

Said it a bunch, any thinking of TAA along this line is based in hope.

Hope it works.

EDIT - to add I am sure he will get a chance there.

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Robbo isn't going anywhere. He will play and I agree he isn't going to be in midfield/wingback. Maybe the Greek gets moved on.

I am going to have to disagree on the last bit - Trent is nowhere near as big, strong or as adept defensively as anyone you have mentioned there.

Positioning is one of Trent's biggest weakness'.

Xabi was one of the greatest readers of the game ever, Trent is not.

Said it a bunch, any thinking of TAA along this line is based in hope.

Hope it works.

IMO, Robbo is more likely to get move on. Older, likely on more money, contract is out in 2026, this is likely the last window to get a decent fee for him. Tsmiskas has played left sided centre back for Greece and Olympiakos. 

Happy to agree to disagree on Trent. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

IMO, Robbo is more likely to get move on. Older, likely on more money, contract is out in 2026, this is likely the last window to get a decent fee for him. Tsmiskas has played left sided centre back for Greece and Olympiakos. 

Happy to agree to disagree on Trent. 

Yea, could be. I reckon if there is a full time switch to 3 at the back we might see some players tried in different spots. You mentioned Bajcetic, he could play at CB.

Same on Trent - he is in no way similar to the players who make a difference at that position on the top teams in this league so it will be interesting in any case.

Why would we want to move Robbo on ?

He's good, reliable, committed, not that expensive surely.

Gomez has gotten lots of credits, and he deserves it, but I think Andy Robertson is playing in another world. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Yea, could be. I reckon if there is a full time switch to 3 at the back we might see some players tried in different spots. You mentioned Bajcetic, he could play at CB.

Same on Trent - he is in no way similar to the players who make a difference at that position on the top teams in this league so it will be interesting in any case.

Wasn't Bajectic a centre back until Klopp played him midfield?

Like how the coaches identified Trent, as a midfielder, quickest route to the first team would be at right back?

I'm not saying Trent would be the finished article in midfield, he'll need work. I don't expect him to be Rodri or Rice. Maybe he'll be more of an 8 than a 6 (although Palacios and Xhaka are definitely both 6's). The thought of Xabi tutoring him in that role is a mouth watering one. 

7 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I've got to pull you up on Trent and we have argued about this before. Trent is absolutely perfect for modern football. It used to be sweeper, then a no.10 now its moving freely out of defence from full back. Trent for me is easily, infact by miles our greatest asset. A genius of a footballer.

• Upvote 1

Be alot of seniority to lose if Robbo were to go with Matip, Thiago and Mo all out the door.

Just now, Scott_M said:

Wasn't Bajectic a centre back until Klopp played him midfield?

He was.

Xabi working with any top young midfielder would be great, agree. Bajcetic is probably closer to him as a player than TAA.

3 minutes ago, Smell The Glove said:

now its moving freely out of defence from full back. Trent for me is easily, infact by miles our greatest asset. A genius of a footballer.

Then you are disagreeing with Scott. He's talking about him in midfield.

I think it would be Salah.

14 minutes ago, Arnaud said:

Why would we want to move Robbo on ?

He's good, reliable, committed, not that expensive surely.

Gomez has gotten lots of credits, and he deserves it, but I think Andy Robertson is playing in another world. 

We’re not saying we want rid of Robbo (well, I’m certainly not).

Although on paper it’s 3-4-3, Leverkusen play 3-2-5 when attacking and we’d be asking Robbo to part of the front 5. 

Looking at Leverkusen, I dont think Robbo ticks the same boxes as Grimaldo. 

For example, Grimaldo has scored 9 goals this season. I’ve not looked, I’d guess Robbo has scored around that in his entire career with us.

Leverkusen get goals from everywhere. Alongside Grimaldo, at right back Frimpong has 8 goals. 

Both players have high assist numbers as well. 

It’s not a criticism. As the left back we / Klopp has needed, he’s been absolutely brilliant. I think another coach, with another formation, might want more of a goal threat. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

We’re not saying we want rid of Robbo (well, I’m certainly not).

Although on paper it’s 3-4-3, Leverkusen play 3-2-5 when attacking and we’d be asking Robbo to part of the front 5. 

Looking at Leverkusen, I dont think Robbo ticks the same boxes as Grimaldo. 

For example, Grimaldo has scored 9 goals this season. I’ve not looked, I’d guess Robbo has scored around that in his entire career with us.

Leverkusen get goals from everywhere. Alongside Grimaldo, at right back Frimpong has 8 goals. 

Both players have high assist numbers as well. 

It’s not a criticism. As the left back we / Klopp has needed, he’s been absolutely brilliant. I think another coach, with another formation, might want more of a goal threat. 

Diaz or Gakpo would slot in there I would think.

1 minute ago, Smell The Glove said:

Pretty sure we have disagreed with Trent coming from defence. I don't like using a la Stones but for me it's ideal Trent.

Don't think so - unless it was to do with him playing in midfield.

Have always said RB in our old system was by far the best use of his skills.

That said - a couple other fellas have done pretty well slotting in for us from fullback so..

6 minutes ago, Smell The Glove said:

Pretty sure we have disagreed with Trent coming from defence. I don't like using a la Stones but for me it's ideal Trent.

A large part of me agrees with that. He’s such a unique player. No other player in world football offers what he does at right back.

Bozo’s like Trippier or Reece James are nowhere near the player Trent is. 

If we’re to keep playing the 4-3-3, I’d be minded to keep Trent where he is. In reality, there is a very good chance we’ll be playing 3-4-3 next season, I’m not sure right back / wing back suited him / the team as much.

I’m not saying Bradley is a better player than Trent, far, far from it. However, Bradley has got himself in the box on the end of crosses, forced saves from inside the box etc more than Trent ever has. IMO, he’d be better suited to the wing back role under Xabi.