You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp: Stepping down at the end of the season

dandyman

9 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Yeah, it's very similar feeling to when Kenny went. That was maybe even more of a shock, I feel klopp has always been preparing us for this moment as he was always clear he'd want a rest. What a cunt of a day. I feel absolutely sick. 

I don't know where we go from here to be honest. It will be a miracle to get anyone anywhere near as good as klopp and be able to produce such good teams on such a limited budget. You've only got to see the huge sums spent by Chelsea, man united, Everton and arsenal to see how tough it truly is and what a miracle he performs here as he did at Dortmund before. 

It's interesting the backroom team are all going. I always felt klopp had built a structure that could live on after he left and could allow a top tier manager just come and try and keep it going. I guess maybe them all going shows we might have someone (and his team) identified. But that seems really unlikely considering how quiet we've been able to keep this. 

Couldn't agree more, it will need more than a miracle to replace Klopp and start winning straight away. 

There is a lot of talk about Xabi, I absolutely love the guy but right now he has not proved himself much. Yes, he is doing well at Leverkusen but there is a huge gulf between them and us. 

Been working all morning and just hearing this now. What an absolute bastard of a blow this is.  Reminds me of how I felt the day Kenny left. Wish the man well he's been brilliant in every way since the day he got here.

At least I wasn't driving like when I heard Shanks was going. My 1968 Ford Anglia nearly wound up in a ditch.

Just saw his interview, all very calm and rational. Jurgen knows he is burning up. I can only remember what happened with Jed, everyone has their limits.

He is very positive for this season and my attitude is more than ever, get the fuck in and win the fucking lot!

I'm calm and philosophical at the moment, we all knew he couldn't stay forever. Probably will have pulled my hair out this time tomorrow though..

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Tj hooker said:

There isn't we all know that , Now we just have to get the best man we can 

14 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Feels like someone’s died. The end of an era. 

Please, please, please, win the bastard league this season so we can give him the send-off he deserves. 

This & This. 

Gutted but not as much as I thought I would be.  I think it was inevitable he wouldn't be with us much longer and I had come to terms with that.  His reasons are not surprising, it must be exhausting competing with cheats and with one hand tied behind your back.  But the timing is very surprising indeed.

Let's keep everything crossed he goes out on a high.

• Upvote 1

Even if we win the league it will be tinged with sadness, let's not pretend otherwise.  That in particular is why the timing is so suss.  The announcement must have been forced by something.

Some people might not care either way and that's fine but it's also okay for people to comment on it.

• Upvote 2

Completely devastating blow. Klopp was an absolutely perfect fit for Liverpool, in terms of how we like our football and he handled the other side of being Liverpool manager very well - he carried himself as a person, as an ambassador for the club and the city, like nobody else that I can remember save those who came before my time. Hardly any clubs in the world have visibility, responsibility and pressure like the manager's job at Liverpool. In many ways, you're more than the manager, you are the walking representation of the club. 

It's such a stupid thing to say given what's happened in my life in the past 5 years but I feel like I am grieving. I feel like I've lost someone close to me. It's such a stupid thing to say but this feeling in the pit of my stomach just reminds me of loss. 

Of course, we will continue, the world will carry on and we'll appoint a new manager. They will have their good points and bad points, they will have their way of playing and we will move past Klopp. The new guy has a huge job on his hands already. The timing is the biggest shock - he's looked rejuvenated with the team he's started to rebuild and I fancied that he might sign another deal and I cannot believe he didn't want another crack at the Champions League. I am absolutely stunned in every conceivable way.

I can only hope the announcement has been made now to give the fans and the players some unity towards the end of the season as we roll into battle after battle to try and win finals and critical points. Even so, this is just complete devastation. An absolutely terrible bit of news for the club but he has obviously thought long and hard about it and despite the rebuild and the positivity, this is the decision he has reached. 

• Upvote 5