You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Newcastle (A) - Sun 27th Aug 2023 (4:30pm)

Trumo

Yeah for me is not about comparing pts against the same teams last year as the games come in totally different orders.

It is for me if you must compare about where you are relative to number of games played.

This time last season we had 2 pts - a dreadful start that put us on the back foot from the off and from which we never really recovered and for a good while barely improved on all that much.

For me our minimum aim this season has to be regaining a top 4 spot, forget any comparisons with last season - 76 pts - 2 pts a game will achieve that easily. We are on track as it stands - something we never were last season, not even for a solitary week. We never sat in top 4 not once, we never had a pts tally that was on track for it.

We have started this season on track.

Drury on sky today for our winner - roaring "wow that's crazy, the liverbird soars"

If it was still that piss soaked beaut Tyler it would probably be a muted "Oh Liverpool have stolen it, Newcastle will be fuming, the ten men who should have been 9 have stolen it"

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Re watching the highlights and szoboszlai was stretching both his hamstrings at the end. He's done some amount of running the last 2 games. He's got some engine but we need to be careful with him as he does get through an unmerciful amount of work for the team. He's definitely deserved his day off tomorrow.

If we get a decent lead next week, I'd be giving him a rest as he'll play both matches for Hungary on the break.

He's quickly becoming a very important cog in this new side.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Chocoholic said:

Just saw this and was unaware of it, but it needs repeating...

And it feels fucking great. Howe, the little jumped up nobody, kept in his place by Jurgen.

I said about Jurgen’s record against Newcastle earlier in the thread - I was confident! Until we went down to 10!! 

• Upvote 2

I wish we would play more conservatively with a mind not to concede and then damage the opposition with our superior forwards and Mac and Szobozlai. We don't need to strangle the space up front leaving loads of space behind us. The constant back peddling and extra pressure it throws on our defenders is insane and what's the pay off? The year we won the league we played with a more robust style. Those 2 games going down to 10 Klopp admits he changes the style/mentality to not concede and we look a lot more comfortable and we look just as likely to score if not more so. We gift teams golden opportunities, many of which shouldn't be able to live with the players we have but the massive spaces we leave are like facing a proffesional boxer who has no guard or footwork, you'll always have a punchers chance no matter how shit you are.

I dont know it's just frustrating to watch us constantly step into traps of our own making.  Constant Foot race defending is risky for giving fouls and also muscle injuries for players who are stretched to the limit. It seems an unnecessary workload, we have the talent to defend and attack without trying to find some kind of cheat tactic that doesn't seem to exist.

• Upvote 9

Still cant wrap my head around the red. In what world was that a clear goal scoring opportunity. If that's the bar for clear goal scoring opportunity (and the rule is applied consistently, as if) then we can look forward to playing against <11 every week when 1 of our boys invariably gets hacked down in sight of goal.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, SilverSong said:

Still cant wrap my head around the red. In what world was that a clear goal scoring opportunity. If that's the bar for clear goal scoring opportunity (and the rule is applied consistently, as if) then we can look forward to playing against <11 every week when 1 of our boys invariably gets hacked down in sight of goal.

It was a shite decision. As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, if he gives Virge a yellow it wouldn't have got upgraded to a red.

Those two fucking helmets on motd tied themselves in knots trying to justify it being a red!

The really tiresome thing us they'll throw the book at VVD for swearing at the ref and taking his time to wall off, which is ridiculous when it wasn't a red card offence in the first place!

2 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I wish we would play more conservatively with a mind not to concede and then damage the opposition with our superior forwards and Mac and Szobozlai. We don't need to strangle the space up front leaving loads of space behind us. The constant back peddling and extra pressure it throws on our defenders is insane and what's the pay off? The year we won the league we played with a more robust style. Those 2 games going down to 10 Klopp admits he changes the style/mentality to not concede and we look a lot more comfortable and we look just as likely to score if not more so. We gift teams golden opportunities, many of which shouldn't be able to live with the players we have but the massive spaces we leave are like facing a proffesional boxer who has no guard or footwork, you'll always have a punchers chance no matter how shit you are.

I dont know it's just frustrating to watch us constantly step into traps of our own making.  Constant Foot race defending is risky for giving fouls and also muscle injuries for players who are stretched to the limit. It seems an unnecessary workload, we have the talent to defend and attack without trying to find some kind of cheat tactic that doesn't seem to exist.

This by a million. 

24 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

That's actually pretty tame, they don't look that arsed. If that was an Everton crowd it'd look like someone just played the village people at the nuremberg rally.

Yeah, I thought that as well. There was one of Torres scoring 2 at Woodison and it looked like he had all the Orks in Mordor behind him.