You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Newcastle (A) - Sun 27th Aug 2023 (4:30pm)

Trumo

This goes down as one of my most favouritist away games.

Can't be arsed arguing VVD's red now - no point in appealing as there is a case. Upset with Shearer and Richards talking about Newcastle's chances - why didn't MOTD show a few? One Ali save and a good shot against the post. Fuck all else.

If TAA had gone for body check then they wouldn't have scored at all (one way of looking at it).

Fantastic scenes in away end will live in the memory for ever 

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

A world in which Trent's reaction to being fouled meets the bar for "dissent".

And they're still not being consistent. Several players took ages to take a throw - no card, in spite of Trent getting one a couple of weeks ago. Obstructing free kicks being taken - several quite blatant examples, none carded. Once again - unless refs show consistency, they can't complain about being criticised (and yet they do).

Was only able to follow the first half via text yesterday which had me resigned to an incoming loss, needless to say once i finally had a signal and saw the score i couldnt be more surprised. Klopp may as well start announcing 1 less player per lineup as things seem to go better with 10 on the pitch.

Darwin Nunez, what a lad, totally definitely never doubted him. 

42 minutes ago, Einch said:

I thought the rules say it can’t be a red card unless it’s in the area?

It's the opposite. Inside the area, as long as a genuine attempt to play the ball has been made (again, woolly and objective) then it's a penalty and a yellow. It's still a red outside.

54 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

Yes. And there are some things that really should have been sorted on the training pitch. For example, the throw from Alisson to Robbo, out on the left when the opposition are pressing high up the pitch. He's got two teammates slightly further up on the left, both with opposition players behind and by the side of them. The first one might just manage to pass it through to the next one, but he is now physically being blocked going any further, and there's no pass on inside, so the ball either goes out of play or we lose it. That happens just about every game, and there's such an air of inevitability about the outcome I groan at the sight of it. Surely that would be attended to by Pep et al - either work on the pace of the move or on other players making better options for the pass inside, or both, but it just happens in game after game. When Klopp came in, the players really seemed to understand how to move for each other to keep possession; now it seems they need a serious refresher course.

I notice a common issue when we're not looking our best is that we're very static both on and off the ball with no one moving and offering a teammate a passing option.

It's no wonder we get caught in these situations where all passing lanes are easily cut off, it's much worse when the opposition press became we then have to rush and might only have risky passing options that are cut out far too often and we're on the back foot.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, waddy78 said:

Depends if the 4th official mentions what Virgil said to him it looked like he said your fucking useless man, then the official touches his back as if to say go down the tunnel and VVD said don't fucking touch me. So it's Liverpool so Pmgol or whatever its called will probably hit him with an 8 month ban

Surely he is perfectly entitled to tell the 4th official to get his hands off him. His had should be nowhere near a player, ever. 

30 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Nearly forgot, kudos to Robbo for possibly the worst free kick I have ever seen in the second half aimed vaguely towards the same postcode as Trent.

he shouldn’t be playing.  Tsimikas should be in the team ahead of him - he is better technically and makes better decisions.

• Downvote 2

16 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

The laws state that if a defender makes a genuine attempt for the ball then a caution is the punishment. Of course this requires competent officials of which the PL has none,or very few, of.

That's only if the foul is in the box. This is to avoid the double jeopardy of conceding a penalty and losing a man, in the event of a genuine attempt for the ball causing a foul. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Razoray said:

Surely he is perfectly entitled to tell the 4th official to get his hands off him. His had should be nowhere near a player, ever. 

Virg just handled the whole thing badly

He let the player get half a yard on him then made a rash unnecessary challenge and got a decision from a shit ref trying to make amends for his earlier leniency towards TAA.  Getting in face of the officials is something he should know full well doesn’t usually end well.

Be surprised now if he gets just the one game ban. Two takeaways for me .

Much as I love the guy ,and he’s still the best defender we have , he’s definitely not going to return to pre Pickford level.

Secondly I’m not convinced he is going to be a great skipper or will Trent for that matter .

1 minute ago, magicrat said:

He let the player get half a yard on him then made a rash unnecessary challenge and got a decision from a shit ref trying to make amends for his earlier leniency towards TAA.  Getting in face of the officials is something he should know full well doesn’t usually end well.

Much as I love the guy ,and he’s still the best defender we have , he’s definitely not going to return to pre Pickford level.

Secondly I’m not convinced he is going to be a great skipper or will Trent for that matter .

I think he will be a great skipper but otherwise agree with everything else you have said.

I thought he was lazy to go that extra yards quickly yesterday to close down Isak. In fact I would say he is far too lazy and laid back in lots of similar instances, especially last season. 

1 hour ago, Nelly-Matip said:

I’ve rewatched the game/highlights with a calmer eye and I think the van Dijk red card can be justified. 

I don’t think it’s a stonewall red in that I can see some refs giving it and others giving a yellow. But, while Isak makes the most of it, VVD goes through the man first to get the ball. So, it’s a definite foul, for me. That then brings you to the question of whether it’s the denial of a goal scoring opportunity and/or if he’s the last man.

You can make convincing cases for both scenarios. A few rivals have laughed at Carragher’s interpretation of it only being a goal scoring opportunity once Isak has took his touch and progressed on goal as he could’ve had a bad touch or took it wide and away from goal. But, for me, that’s a legitimate argument. 

But, the arguments that he was prevented from having any sort of touch and that it’d be unfair to just give yellows to defenders in potential goal scoring positions if they simply went through a striker before they had their set up touch is also legitimate too. 

That probably makes it unlikely that a challenge would be able to establish that there was a clear and obvious error from the officials and it’s probably for the best if we take it on the chin. 

The refereeing was appalling in many other incidents. Highlight that instead. 

“Through the man” makes it sound like he steamed in two footed from behind. He slightly clipped his foot before getting the ball. 

Agree that whilst it was very harsh there’s no way that is getting over turned.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, magicrat said:

Leniency towards Trent?! 

18 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

I think he will be a great skipper but otherwise agree with everything else you have said.

I thought he was lazy to go that extra yards quickly yesterday to close down Isak. In fact I would say he is far too lazy and laid back in lots of similar instances, especially last season. 

Not so sure he’ll be a great skipper but he’s first in the queue without doubt