You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

24 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

You must be trolling at this point. We are struggling to replace Jordan fucking Henderson let alone Salah

What do you think of Mason Greenwood to replace Salah? He is available. Right age. Former England International. Left footed, could play on the right. 

• Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

We have to get the sporting director post filled with someone with lots of contacts, experience and who is strong.

That is vital as far as I’m concerned. Feels to me that we aren’t working as collaboratively as we have in the past and things are disjointed. 
Do we need to improve the scouting and do we have enough scouts in all areas. We don’t seem to be too focused on South America and that is a hotbed of talent right now.

As for Salah, no way he can be sold now. Feels like games and PR before the weekends game. We’ll also achieve 100 million next summer so receiving a big fee isn’t an issue in my opinion. We must be well placed to use the money though on adequate replacements for his position and the squad in general. 

30 minutes ago, Nelly-Matip said:

Doku has signed for City. Another £55m spent by Guardiola. 

Just 95m net this summer so far

Compared to some others, they are quite sensible - building from a position of strength - year after year - tweaking squad, topping it up and refreshing it where need to.

OK the methods used to get there in first place are of course very dodgy, but their actual transfer business mostly makes sense now and is done with a much better plan and less scattergun way than likes of Chelsea and their neighbours and Arsenal's until Arsenal got a grip over last year or so - and more effectively when it comes to sustaining success from a position of strength than ours....

I'd be beyond amazed if Salah went now...No one key is leaving IMHO this late in the window. No sale of someone like Salah will be sanctioned at this late hour.

And I say that as someone who said even back last season that I believed (believed not wanted him gone) that Salah would leave the club this summer.

I keep seeing people on here saying we haven't replaced Fabinho when we clearly replaced him with Endo last week.

I can't see us letting Salah go at this stage & if we did, we would get rinsed (Andy Carroll style) trying to bring in a replacement now, or in January.

3 hours ago, joe_fishfish said:

I'm sure what he isn't - a top class CL-level footballer. Position is one thing, and yes as you've said Klopp views it as pretty flexible. But you can't make up for a lack of quality, or a lack of effort. If there's a player Gravenberch reminds me of, it's a tougher, less technical Paul Pogba.

The point I’m making is neither were any of the players I previously mentioned until Klopp worked with them.

The way Kagawa, Sahin, Gotze, Countinho, Mane etc have faired after Klopp means he gets the best from them.

I have no opinion of Gravenberch really. In the handful of times I’ve seen him, given the hype, I’ve been underwhelmed. That doesn’t mean Klopp couldn’t make a success out of him.

3 minutes ago, Mook said:

I keep seeing people on here saying we haven't replaced Fabinho when we clearly replaced him with Endo last week.

I can't see us letting Salah go at this stage & if we did, we would get rinsed (Andy Carroll style) trying to bring in a replacement now, or in January.

I’d hope any signing would be more Luis Suarez style.

Just now, Mook said:

The Suarez deal was sorted before Torres left was it not? Ajax were the ones who got rinsed there as well.

Can’t really remember. I remember they were announced on the same day, there is a picture of Kenny and the two of them.

10 hours ago, Scott_M said:

IMO (and I’ve said some of this at the start of the window, so it’s not revisionist…)…

I’ve happy for Bradley to be given the chance to be a squad player. I know it’s a huge step up, he did about as well as he could at Bolton last season, he’s earned his chance at League Cup or EL and see how he goes (I assume Gomez would fill in for Trent in any Premiership game).

I’m not convinced on the problems with Tsmiskas. He plays (or has played) on the left of a back 3 for Greece multiple times. Appreciate moving into midfield might not be his game, have we actually seen him and Trent on the pitch at the same time so far (ie Trent goes into midfield, Tsmiskas becomes part of the back 3)? 

I agree on Matip. He was really poor for majority of last season.

I do think there are huge question marks over Gomez’s consistency as good as he was against Everton or Man City, complete capitulations like he had v Real Madrid aren’t acceptable (I know he wasn’t the only one, he was by far the worst of a rotten 2nd half bunch).

In midfield, we likely have the numbers - Endo, Thiago, Szoboszlai, Mac Allister, Jones, Elliot & Bajectic is 7 - I can’t argue it still feels light in terms of experience and, I don’t know the word, steel? They all look really nice footballers, will they dig in and win games through sheer force of will like we used to be able to do? I suppose that all comes from experience and without previous leaders in Hendo & Milner, others need to step up. It feels a bit sink or swim. 

I agree we need another midfielder, even if we add Gravenberch / Fofana / Kone before the window, will experience / force of will / steel change?

If we can add a defender and midfielder in the next 8 days, I think we’ll actually be in quite decent shape. Whether that is enough to challenge for the title again, unfortunately that’s very debatable. 

I don't see Bradley replacing Trent in this hybrid role. This is the problem with this formation, it's very unconventional and hard to bring kids into weird positions. It's hard enough asking him just to be a right back. 

You list those 7 players, but howuch confidence do you have in Jones, thiago and bajcetic getting on the pitch? We need 5 mids for every match with the 5 sub rule. You're right we're missing some steel but tons of experience too. As old as endo is he has no experience at playing for teams dominating football matches for example. 

I'd feel if we added a defender and midfielder (depending who they are of course, no more Arthur's), the window would be ok. Not great, but ok. I don't expect any more to be honest. 

9 hours ago, Scott_M said:

I can understand players at the end of their career going to Saudi for a last pay day. It was the Premiership 30 years ago, China for about 10 minutes, the MLS more recently, now it’s Saudi. 

I don’t understand players who have their whole career in front of them wanting to play there. Did Veiga grow up dreaming of winning the Saudi league or Asian CL? I doubt he even knew there was one before Benzema announced he was going. 

We’ll find out players real motivations over the next few years.

Nobody was coming in for him..he was likely earning buttons at Celta, of he penned a new deal with celta it probably locked him at a higher release clause, so he's secured his future. It's not ideal for any young lad, but I don't blame him. It's dead easy for pricks like kroos to criticise him when they've had a top career and all the riches that come with it.

3 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

If anyone wants a rebuild, selling Salah will get you that rebuild. 

We can't even replace the lads that have left, let alone our 2nd best player and best outfield player. 

5 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Rumours of a Salah bid from a Saudi outlet when we play who at the weekend? Oh, Saudi owned Newcastle.

There's been rumours all summer though hasn't there? they're just new ones today. Last week's rumour was if they bid, Salah was no longer against it and he'd let Liverpool decide. It feels to me like a drip, drip, drip to get the fans pissed off that he wants to go, which makes a deal easier for Liverpool to make. I guess it's not Liverpool driving that agenda, but clearly it would feel impossible for us to sell him just a month ago. I don't think it feels like that now. And LFC will undoubtedly have a number they can't say no to.