You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Real Madrid (N) - Champions League Final, Sat 28th May 2022 (8:00pm)

Trumo

I suppose that if one thing has come of this it's the previous understanding,by Klopp,that you have to prioritise the League and CL. We had a largely fit squad for a whole season and yet we tired badly at the very end of it even with a lot of luck with fitness in our favour. That said,fitness didn't really play a part in last night.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Carra_is_legend said:

He won't get 400k anywhere in this form. His best bet is to leave on a free next summer and get a hefty signing on fee. Which basically means he is after money despite saying he isn't.

It would be different if it was the mo we had banging them in regularly but not this mo. 

1 hour ago, J-V said:

His tactical masterplan relied on Robertson doing his idiotic headless chicken routine chassing a ball on his tod into the Madrid half that he was never going to win against the one player on the planet who you can't press and a pass that was actually a shot with the recipient of said pass being a whisker onside.  Oh and those upfront missing chance after chance.  Jammy Italian cunt more than anything.

Interesting, at the point at which Casemiro passes to Valverde we have 3 players on the halfway line on that side, and Madrid have 1 player, Carvajal. 

By the time Valverde in on the edge of our box, Carvajal has sprinted to offer an overlap, which has dragged Virgil towards him and opened up just enough space for Valverde's cross to squeeze between Virgil and Fabinho.  

To exacerbate that, Trent isnt watching VJr, and nobody has tracked Kroos who is now totally free on the edge of the box, and Alisson is at his near post when the ball is at the backpost.  

Complete carnage.  But what unbelievable skill from Valverde to hit that cross on the deck to perfection.  Watch it back, he shapes his body to cross, it's out of this world, postage stamp precision. 

I'm increasingly frustrated with our crossing, and is why I'm on Team Tsimikas. 

I'm also going to kick Trent in the bollocks if he's stood near a corner or free kick. 

3 minutes ago, Stouffer said:

Regardless of the result; I had a brilliant day yesterday with my wife and the boys. A lovely meal and an ace night. 

Well done redden, you should be proud.

Great stuff mate. 

As soon as the whistle went I put music on and me and my dad spent the next few hours talking and arguing about music from bye-gone eras. Result aside we had a lovely time. 

Reminds you what’s really important doesn’t it? 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I suppose that if one thing has come of this it's the previous understanding,by Klopp,that you have to prioritise the League and CL. We had a largely fit squad for a whole season and yet we tired badly at the very end of it even with a lot of luck with fitness in our favour. That said,fitness didn't really play a part in last night.

Yeah, I think this was the last time we'll see a quadruple campaign unless the ressies are formidable, which isn't beyond the realms of possibility.  Maybe Cannonier makes a breakthrough. Couple that with Elliott, Jones, Gomez, Tsimikas,.Kelleher, Taki, we could find ourselves in semi finals again. 

9 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Interesting, at the point at which Casemiro passes to Valverde we have 3 players on the halfway line on that side, and Madrid have 1 player, Carvajal. 

By the time Valverde in on the edge of our box, Carvajal has sprinted to offer an overlap, which has dragged Virgil towards him and opened up just enough space for Valverde's cross to squeeze between Virgil and Fabinho.  

To exacerbate that, Trent isnt watching VJr, and nobody has tracked Kroos who is now totally free on the edge of the box, and Alisson is at his near post when the ball is at the backpost.  

Complete carnage.  But what unbelievable skill from Valverde to hit that cross on the deck to perfection.  Watch it back, he shapes his body to cross, it's out of this world, postage stamp precision. 

I'm increasingly frustrated with our crossing, and is why I'm on Team Tsimikas. 

I'm also going to kick Trent in the bollocks if he's stood near a corner or free kick. 

On first and only viewing I thought that 'cross' for their goal was a bit of a hopeful cross/shot but I may have been wrong. I did immediately notice Trent's daydreaming and poor poitioning at the time though and thought it might cause us a problem.

6 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Yeah, I think this was the last time we'll see a quadruple campaign unless the ressies are formidable, which isn't beyond the realms of possibility.  Maybe Cannonier makes a breakthrough. Couple that with Elliott, Jones, Gomez, Tsimikas,.Kelleher, Taki, we could find ourselves in semi finals again. 

You need a hell of a lot of luck with the draws to advance like we did. I don't think we approached the ciups differently this year, we just got kinder draws early on when we were playing some of the kids. No doubt the media will depict it as some kind of disaster if we go out early next season but personally I'm pretty satiated with the domestic cups. 

I really do feel the squad needs several more absolutely tried and tested top talents. We've several young players with potential, but that's still all it is. Elliott I don't really get so far; he seems a great lad, but for me he's not lived up to the hype around him. I was astounded during lockdown when Pep filmed an adoring chat with him, as if he was the next Messi in waiting. We've never, ever, hyped up a young player like that and it hasn't done his development much good. His apparent lack of real pace is going to be a big issue, and his lack of a 'proper' position so far will also have to be dealt with asap. Same goes for Curtis to an extent - he's not really advanced this season. Lots of talk before the game was about how our bench has improved since the last final against Madrid, but I looked at the bench this time and it didn't really give that much more hope than the last time. The club has to push on now, it's vital.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

The club has to push on now, it's vital.

Yup. We had a good/great season depending on how it's looked at but unless we improve we will stand still. Klopp's magic can only work to a certain extent. Players are human beings, they won't be mentality monsters for ever.

We need to spend money and improve, there is just no other way. 

7 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

Yup. We had a good/great season depending on how it's looked at but unless we improve we will stand still. Klopp's magic can only work to a certain extent. Players are human beings, they won't be mentality monsters for ever.

We need to spend money and improve, there is just no other way. 

i think we will there is no way Jurgen extends his contract unless he knows FSG  will do wants needed to compete in league and europe

It's terrible in the midfield, Thiago and Fabinho.  I'd say Thiago is to blame for chasing around like a headless chicken and getting into Fabinho's space but I may be too blinkered to fairly judge due to my dislike of Thiago.

5 minutes ago, Moo said:

It's terrible in the midfield, Thiago and Fabinho.  I'd say Thiago is to blame for chasing around like a headless chicken and getting into Fabinho's space but I may be too blinkered to fairly judge due to my dislike of Thiago.

Robertson is the one doing the headless chicken chasing.  Valverde can't believe he's luck he even looks back expecting someone to be near him. There was no need for Fabinho to go across either.

If Robertson had stayed in position as he did previous to that stupidness the game would have ended 0-0.

4 minutes ago, J-V said:

Robertson is the one doing the headless chicken chasing.  Valverde can't believe he's luck he even looks back expecting someone to be near him. There was no need for Fabinho to go across either.

If Robertson had stayed in position as he did previous to that stupidness the game would have ended 0-0.

Irrespective of Robertson, and I don't disagree, why was there no need for Fabinho to go across? Do you think Thiago has it covered?  I don't and I think the clip shows as such, he left a massive gap, tries to get back but was nowhere near and ends up in his arse as usual.

10 minutes ago, Moo said:

Yeah I think that's spot on. Robertson to begin with chasing too high for no reason but Thiago following him too and then ambling back, then compounding it by lunging for it when Fabinho was going across.

I think it's on Thiago to hold back if the full back on his side has gone too far forward bit he's unnecessarily following Robbo too

6 minutes ago, ManéMan said:

Yeah I think that's spot on. Robertson to begin with chasing too high for no reason but Thiago following him too and then ambling back, then compounding it by lunging for it when Fabinho was going across.

I think it's on Thiago to hold back if the full back on his side has gone too far forward bit he's unnecessarily following Robbo too

There seems to be a tendancy to blow smoke up Thiago's arse for the slightest thing so I can also imagine him being largely absolved of any blame, while players who've actually won the big ones for us take the flak.

How do we turn domination into goals?

I think some of our crossing is appalling. 

We're a riddle. These are league stats:

2 of the top 5 goalscorers. 

3 of the top 6 assist providers. 

Goalkeeper with joint top clean sheets.  

3 of the top 6 player shots on target.

2 of the top 4 players number of crosses

However, only 2 players in the top 80 tacklers.  In fact, Bruno Guimaraes was bought in January and made the same tackles as Fabinho. 

Alisson had to make 25% more saves than Ederson despite equal clean sheets. 

I hope we're still after John McGinn.  Huge number of tackles and fouls, goes to show much much he gets stuck in.  Milner mkII.

10 minutes ago, Moo said:

There seems to be a tendancy to blow smoke up Thiago's arse for the slightest thing so I can also imagine him being largely absolved of any blame, while players who've actually won the big ones for us take the flak.

Thiago has won more big ones that the rest of the team combined if we’re honest. Regardless, I don’t think it’s relevant. Let’s just judge the incident on its merits.

1 minute ago, aRdja said:

Thiago has won more big ones that the rest of the team combined if we’re honest. 

I never said he hadn't.  I said won the big ones FOR US.  I couldn't give a flying fuck what he did at other clubs, that's for others to wank over, I only care what he does here which is nowhere near what many of our other players have done.  As far as LFC is concerned Thiago is not fit to lace [for example] Henderson's boots. In time he may be but at the moment, no.

4 minutes ago, Moo said:

I never said he hadn't.  I said won the big ones FOR US.  I couldn't give a flying fuck what he did at other clubs, that's for others to wank over, I only care what he does here which is nowhere near what many of our other players have done.  As far as LFC is concerned Thiago is not fit to lace [for example] Henderson's boots. In time he may be but at the moment, no.

But it’s an irrelevant point and brings nothing to the discussion about the goal. Yeah, Trent won the CL for us three years ago, great, but so what? He still should’ve looked over his shoulder to check where Vini was. As I said earlier just judge the incident on its own merits.

26 minutes ago, Moo said:

Irrespective of Robertson, and I don't disagree, why was there no need for Fabinho to go across? Do you think Thiago has it covered?  I don't and I think the clip shows as such, he left a massive gap, tries to get back but was nowhere near and ends up in his arse as usual.

Carvajo or whatever his name is had no person to pass to bar a long punt to Vinicius that did not work the whole evening if Fab did not move across. He moves leaves a man open and it's a simple pass to then beat the whole midfield.

Just now, aRdja said:

But it’s an irrelevant point and brings nothing to the discussion about the goal. YeahTrent won the CL for us three years ago, great, but so what?

I've discussed the goal and Thiago's involvement in it, if you disagree comment on that. I didn't realise discussion on here had limited scope.  If you don't like my comments on more general points feel free to scroll past.