You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Real Madrid (N) - Champions League Final, Sat 28th May 2022 (8:00pm)

Trumo

Just now, redinblack said:

Best analogy I can come up with for Madrid is Muhamnad Ali and " Rope A Dope"....and it worked

I said that to my friend during the first half but I don’t think it “worked” in the sense that they were obviously better than us in the second half. They got a goal off a scuffed shot that happened to fall to player that can finish and Ali was caught in no man’s land which wouldn’t have mattered if Trent played it correctly. Then it went back to us attacking and we just couldn’t score. 

• Upvote 1

We’re fucked against teams who defend deep. Look at those draws last season that could have been won. How many times did we get forward tonight only to see all of our players walking back outside the box. 

Freaks my nut out seeing us get behind the full backs down our left and then have to stop and pass the ball back out to a MF on the edge of the box cos there’s no one to aim for. Get someone attacking the posts for a tap in ffs. Just Like those cunts did tonight. 

2 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

This. Can't believe we've let Madrid win the European cup again. 

I was massively confident before the match, but all the stuff with queues and delays I knew it was all turning to shit. 

I never went into this game confident at all. For some time I’ve felt that we’re a bit one dimensional, and lacking something in midfield - as Ive said before, an urgency that we used to have. I also think its more than just being ‘tired’.

7 minutes ago, J-V said:

I mean WTF was that even, £52 fucking million. I still don't know what the fuck we saw in him to even buy him he has nothing about him at all not even physicality. 

The thing is, he looked superb based on the clips I saw before he signed.

It's like we bought the Keita in the videos and got the Wish version instead.

11 minutes ago, Red74 said:

We’re fucked against teams who defend deep.

Most teams are. I'm so tired of it being treated like some tactical masterplan. It's like slamming the door shut when you're playing tag. If you're City, and you're ready to pass and pass and pass and pass, and you've got the players to do it that well, then you'll probably beat it. But otherwise, who copes with it well? It's a simple but effective anti-football routine. It's not our peculiar problem. It wouldn't work quite so well if refs stopped players from lying on the ground whenever they fancy a rest, and players got booked for time wasting, but it'll still make most attacking teams look frustrated, because that's what it's for.

Having said that, some of our passing has been atrocious. We play endless rondos in training, but in games we lose the ball far too easily where you need quick one-touch passing.

1 minute ago, ManéMan said:

Midfield has been a definite downgrade from what it was 2018-2020. When you think how much many on here go on about Thiago, he really hasn't been all that

Thiago is a fine holding midfielder. With a great pass. Alonso played a similar game for us. However, in Fabinho, we also have another fine holding midfielder. The result is that we hold the ball. We dominate possession. We get good second ball some of the time as well. However, as we saw tonight, dominating possession doesn’t always win football games.

2 minutes ago, A Red said:

Thing is, Curtis Jones offers so much more. There's a big midfield signing this summer I reckon.

You’re right, Curtis has real ability & urgency, and sooner or later, we’ll see him in the starting line up more often than not. 

So many shit supporters follow us. You can get to fuck, you cunts. The Gerrard comments, slagging the team off, whinging about the lads… fuck off. They have given us a reason to believe again. Let’s go back to Woy or konchesky eh… fucking gobshites.

Still proud of the lads.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, A Red said:

Thing is, Curtis Jones offers so much more. There's a big midfield signing this summer I reckon.

But he, too, needs to go up a couple of levels, and quickly. He needs more urgency, far better shooting, more power, more tactical awareness and discipline. I like him, but that's why I'm quite frustrated by this season's efforts. He needs to push on now.

6 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

That won't work. It will tie up the wages and FSG wouldn't release more for another player. 

We need to get rid of him, full stop.

Its a tough one. I don’t know what his wages are, but for me its ‘horses for courses’ Squad players have their place, and he consistently gets picked as a sub, and comes on ahead of a fit AOC. I’m not saying I want to see AOC get more game time, so maybe it does come down to wages. One of them needs to move on, but we need squad depth. 11 players start, and at some point in a game, some of them  need resting.

Thought we played ok myself. Not brilliant, but could have been better. We got sunk by a team that sat deep and played on the counter, which is most teams we face now. If Lady Luck had been on our side we could have won.

It wasn't to be. Hopefully the players can pick themselves up and channel the disappointment into next season.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Red74 said:

Don’t know if it was on here but I seen someone saying they’re convinced Juergen and Ulla have been sponsoring Kieta for years. I’m starting  to think there’s some truth in this. 

Get some help then. What a waste of space.

4 minutes ago, M_B said:

Thought we played ok myself. Not brilliant, but could have been better. We got sunk by a team that sat deep and played on the counter, which is most teams we face now. If Lady Luck had been on our side we could have won.

It wasn't to be. Hopefully the players can pick themselves up and channel the disappointment into next season.

I think that’s a very rational assessment but most of us on here are at least half pissed and don’t want to talk about rationality at the moment. The fact we had Real Madrid playing like a Serie A side speaks volumes to where we’ve come from where we were before Klopp got here. It’s a shit result, we’re all gutted, but perspective is we’re on the cusp. As far as I see it. Last time we lost one of these we walked the league with an unprecedented break in it. Next season we have a break in the league. Let’s go on and walk it again. 

5 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

But he, too, needs to go up a couple of levels, and quickly. He needs more urgency, far better shooting, more power, more tactical awareness and discipline. I like him, but that's why I'm quite frustrated by this season's efforts. He needs to push on now.

I agree with that but remember he’s a local lad under so much pressure whose still a young kid getting compared to £50m internationals who for some reason is treated like a god. I’m setting the bar low here but imo Curtis has had far better games in the chances he’s had than Kieta ever has. Id like to see keita torpedoed tomorrow but I reckon he’ll get a 5 year contract this summer.