You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Caoimhin Kelleher

Bjornebye

Talk of him replacing Alisson is too early. He's got like 40 senior appearances. That's a bit less than a full season's worth of games for a #1, so that's not a huge sample to know how good he really is. And to be a top keeper, you have to be good over whole seasons.

He has talent, but to be the undisputed 1 of a top, top team? That's not clear yet. 

There was not a massive sample with Alisson either, but his talent was about as noticeable as it gets, and in all areas. Kelleher's been more hot and cold. But the hot is pretty hot, to be fair.

18 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Talk of him replacing Alisson is too early. He's got like 40 senior appearances. That's a bit less than a full season's worth of games for a #1, so that's not a huge sample to know how good he really is. And to be a top keeper, you have to be good over whole seasons.

He has talent, but to be the undisputed 1 of a top, top team? That's not clear yet. 

There was not a massive sample with Alisson either, but his talent was about as noticeable as it gets, and in all areas. Kelleher's been more hot and cold. But the hot is pretty hot, to be fair.

I'm not saying kelleher should keep his place. 

But to put to things into perspective. Ali has played only 24 games this season, kelleher is now on 19 or 20.... So nearly the same amount. 

6 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

I'm not saying kelleher should keep his place. 

But to put to things into perspective. Ali has played only 24 games this season, kelleher is now on 19 or 20.... So nearly the same amount. 

Kelleher is accruing experience. But the thing is that there is measurable stuff saying that over entire seasons, Alisson saves many more goals than the average goalkeeper.

Is that the kind of keeper Kelleher is or will be? 

That said, I have not seen how Kelleher compares to other keepers in that metric in his sample of games. 

The issue with Kelleher is that he's ready and able to be a first choice goalkeeper, we have one of the best goalkeepers in the world in Alisson. A loan or sale with a buy back clause is the best option.

10 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

There was talk this week of Ali fucking off back to Brazil. No idea how that works financially. 

It's actually a funny one. 

I honestly believe Alisson is the best keeper in the world, but if you look around, there isn't really any other big club available for him. 

Barcelona have no money, Madrid have courtois who's also very good. Atletico have the Serbian guy that's shit hot to, can't remember his name 

We wouldn't sell him to any other club in England. 

Bayern have neur, so who's left?

Inter couldn't afford him, Ac Milan have the French number 1. 

Juventus perhaps? Scezney isnt that old though. 

We've Man City at home on Sunday and the best keeper in the world won't be playing, the fact that's not a big deal says it all, everyone is comfortable and confident in Caoimhin.

Biggest thing for me is that he seems to have improved a lot on the 1v1s. Allison is a distant no 1 in the world at that, with all the other goalies miles behind. Kelleher was just about the middle of the pack, and when attackers were racing through on goal with him earlier, I didn't have much hope that he would be able to stop them. He let in a few of them over the last couple of seasons that I would have expected Allison to save. 

Now, he's both improved his technique (making himself bigger) and his reaction to those situations. He's much more comfortable moving towards the attacker, where he scares the attacker rather than the other way around. I reckon he has done quite a bit of work both technically and mentally to sort this out, as it's such a significant improvement from the games he was slaughtered for early in the season.

As long as there is money available and both are willing to continue in the situation they are in at the moment, I would do anything to keep both keepers for as long as possible. As others have said, Allison is sufficiently injured for Kelleher to have enough games to keep him happy. Sack off Adrian in the summer and let one of the young keepers take the role of Adrian.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, chrisbonnie said:

It's actually a funny one. 

I honestly believe Alisson is the best keeper in the world, but if you look around, there isn't really any other big club available for him. 

Barcelona have no money, Madrid have courtois who's also very good. Atletico have the Serbian guy that's shit hot to, can't remember his name 

We wouldn't sell him to any other club in England. 

Bayern have neur, so who's left?

Inter couldn't afford him, Ac Milan have the French number 1. 

Juventus perhaps? Scezney isnt that old though. 

Yeah, there aren't a lot of options, although that probably opens up a bit if he goes at the end of his contract, but he's got another 3 full seasons. I also don't think we'd let him go on the cheap. While he's 31, there's nothing to say he couldn't have another 5-10 years at the very top.

For me it is simple, if Ali wants to stay, he will stay as our number 1. For me he is the best keeper in the world, kelleher has done well, but 10 games doing well is a bit of form, not anything that is world class status. It could be the start for kelleher and brings into focus the need for his career to make a decision on his future in the summer. But if Ali wants to stay, there's barely a decision to make as far as I'm concerned. You find kelleher somewhere else either on loan or with a buyback (my preference). 

2 hours ago, LFC 6 Times said:

He’s the 2nd best keeper in the league. Genuinely wouldn’t swap him for Ederson.

Ederson is overrated. He's not the 2nd best in the league and is nowhere near the class of Ali.

3 hours ago, Baltar said:

Ederson is overrated. He's not the 2nd best in the league and is nowhere near the class of Ali.

Ill give ederson some credit, his distribution is second to none. Credit where it's due. 

But in terms of actually stopping shots, he's mediocre at best