You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest Male Solo Artist - QF - Prince vs Jimi Hendrix

Bjornebye

Greatest Male Solo Artist - QF - Prince vs Jimi Hendrix  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Greatest Male Solo Artist - QF - Prince vs Jimi Hendrix

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/11/20 at 11:27

6 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Yeah yeah very funny but I’m sticking to my point, Hendrix had a very limited output of self penned songs and only a handful have survived the test of time. Prince was far more prolific so should go through on the strength of total quality of his output. He won’t though becuase a small number of music snobs revere Hendrix on the back of 3 songs that all sound the same

What a load of fucking bollocks.

• Upvote 8

17 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Yeah yeah very funny but I’m sticking to my point, Hendrix had a very limited output of self penned songs and only a handful have survived the test of time. Prince was far more prolific so should go through on the strength of total quality of his output. He won’t though becuase a small number of music snobs revere Hendrix on the back of 3 songs that all sound the same

What the serious fuck are you on about. The fella wrote 90% of his stuff - Purple Haze, Stone Free, Wind Cries Mary, Castles Made of Sand.

Weird that you would think it is a bad thing that he also recorded the most famous versions of a couple of covers.

And please get the video returned.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Hendrix had a pretty limited output and I am sticking to my assertion that only about 3 have survived in popular culture. I don't think you can win greatest male solo artist on such a thin legacy.

You are seriously embarrassing yourself here with a severe lack of knowledge about the subject you're posting on.

44 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

I only wanted to see you
in the purple haze

Purple haaaze

Purple haaaze

1 minute ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

what - that most people couldn't name more than 3 jimi hendrix songs without reference to Google ? Do you dispute that ? Ask anybody under 30 and they couldn't name 1.  

I don't dispute that but most people are fucking clueless so who cares what they think.

I was disputing your points about his 'limited output' (the guy released four albums in as many years & made enough music for at least another two) & his 'thin legacy'. This is a bloke who completely changed the guitar forever within weeks of turning up in London, his legacy is one of the greatest in all music.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

what - that most people couldn't name more than 3 jimi hendrix songs without reference to Google ? Do you dispute that ? Ask anybody under 30 and they couldn't name 1.  

Think that’s different than Prince? I asked my lad, 18. His response to ‘how many Prince songs can you name’ was ‘who’s Prince’. His response to ‘what about Hendrix’ was ‘All along the Watchtower’. 

In short, he’s an idiot and I’ve failed as a parent. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

I think his musical style was very limited, he could only play the guitar albeit brilliantly and he only wrote a handful of decent songs. Prince wrote classics in several different musical genres, could play a vast range of instruments and was astonishingly prolific. It’s a no brainer for me. 

Hendrix was playing blues, rock, jazz, soul & funk. How many styles do you need?

He wrote four albums worth of great material (one double album) & another two albums worth that were released after his death, this is during a four year spell. That is prolific by anyone's standards.

6 minutes ago, Mook said:

Hendrix was playing blues, rock, jazz, soul & funk. How many styles do you need?

He wrote four albums worth of great material (one double album) & another two albums worth that were released after his death, this is during a four year spell. That is prolific by anyone's standards.

Also played in Little Richards band. 

9 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

So the only Hendrix song he could name was a cover version. I think that’s evidence for prosecution not the defence. 

Not really, considering he didn’t even know who Prince is! To be honest, I’d struggle to name three Prince songs without googling. Purple Aki, Raspberry Beret, erm... Kiss, erm. When dove cry. That’s about it. His best song was sung by someone else. And that really is a pearler. 

Also, I had a look at a load of lists for beat guitarists, Prince wasn’t in the top ten of any of them, Jimi was number one on all of them. The Rolling Stone list is chosen by a fuck load of famous, excellent guitarists.