You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other football - 2020/21

WhiskeyJar

57 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Agree with this. When Lukaku played in the prem for the shite and united, in the main he only scored against the shite teams. He wasnt known as a flat track bully for nothing. Serie A suits him to the ground with even more lesser teams to score against.

Im still not convinced by Haaland, he strikes me as a bit of a battering ram. That might be unfair on the lad and it is useful in some games. But where a bit more finess is required, he never seems to be one to me who'll 'caress' the ball into the net. Might well be proven wrong in the future though!

Like Kuyt but a better finisher.

Just now, John102 said:

England U21's lost 2 games now in the u21's, to Switzerland and Portugal, with 1 shot on target across the 2 games.

Aidy Boothroyd will have to draw on all his experience from Colchester, Coventry and Northampton to turn this around.

Curtis Jones not starting , presumably as he can't kick the ball far enough.

• Upvote 1

The England set-up is fast regressing.

The U21's were comprehensively torn apart but seemingly the basis for selection is being able to run quickly without the ball. 

The selection process is the problem, and that's evident in the main squad when the world's best right back is overlooked for Trippier. 

That said, the likes of Godfrey at U21 level aren't a shadow of themselves at club level. He can't be arsed. The same is true of Davies, he looks poor. 

Boothroyds ace up his sleeve was bringing Brewster and Jones on, and they both looked disinterested.

I do notice though that both England teams suffer from a lack of a top class DM.  I don't rate Declan Rice, I'm not sold on his mobility, and that Leeds lad is poor.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

The U21's were comprehensively torn apart but seemingly the basis for selection is being able to run quickly without the ball. 

The selection process is the problem, and that's evident in the main squad when the world's best right back is overlooked for Trippier. 

That said, the likes of Godfrey at U21 level aren't a shadow of themselves at club level. He can't be arsed. The same is true of Davies, he looks poor. 

Boothroyds ace up his sleeve was bringing Brewster and Jones on, and they both looked disinterested.

I do notice though that both England teams suffer from a lack of a top class DM.  I don't rate Declan Rice, I'm not sold on his mobility, and that Leeds lad is poor.  

Regressing with Aidy Boothroyd as coach ?

Sorry , I am not having it.

I believe we played with 3 forwards and didn't have a single shot on target , impressive.

8 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Not all bad then.

14 hours ago, lebron said:

Maybe, but the slow Italian league, and the lack of any physical competition (the defenders are literally half his sice) makes it easier for him than it was here. 

Nah, if anything it's the opposite. The slowness is only in the middle third, which means he gets the ball less. It's why it's so imperative for strikers in Serie A to be good at finishing. 

He's doing well because he is simply a much better footballer than he was when he was in England. He's one of the best strikers on the planet and would tear the Premier League to shreds if he were here now. As would Haaland. I think Haaland would find it much, much tougher in Serie A. 

As for physical competition, he's stronger than every single centre back in world football and Koulibaly is almost certainly stronger than any centre back in the Premier League. The average Premier League centre back might be a bit bigger than the average Serie A centre back but they're also likely to have worse positional sense and be less likely to be able to negate Lukaku's size advantage using the dark arts. 

You said it would be an easy choice for you between Mbappe and Haaland and it would be for me as well. 

5 minutes ago, Stickman said:

Really had no idea England were playing till I turned over from the cricket ...

And now I find they're playing another qualifier on Wednesday....Fuck me 3 games in 10 days these cunts at FIFA get their moneys worth

At least this time they are playing a team that might beat a Liverpool Way X1

4 minutes ago, Stickman said:

Really had no idea England were playing till I turned over from the cricket ...

And now I find they're playing another qualifier on Wednesday....Fuck me 3 games in 10 days these cunts at FIFA get their moneys worth

No I didn't know they were playing either . Apparently Sir Hal of Kane evoked  memories of Agincourt and led the plucky Englishers to a famous victory. I watched the snooker. 

Jairz is right on this one.

I've seen a good few Inter games this season and Lukaku has been a real talisman for them, he looks twice the player he was in England.

Conte knows how to coach and always seems to get the best out his centre forwards in particular.

5 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

Nah, if anything it's the opposite. The slowness is only in the middle third, which means he gets the ball less. It's why it's so imperative for strikers in Serie A to be good at finishing. 

He's doing well because he is simply a much better footballer than he was when he was in England. He's one of the best strikers on the planet and would tear the Premier League to shreds if he were here now. As would Haaland. I think Haaland would find it much, much tougher in Serie A. 

As for physical competition, he's stronger than every single centre back in world football and Koulibaly is almost certainly stronger than any centre back in the Premier League. The average Premier League centre back might be a bit bigger than the average Serie A centre back but they're also likely to have worse positional sense and be less likely to be able to negate Lukaku's size advantage using the dark arts. 

You said it would be an easy choice for you between Mbappe and Haaland and it would be for me as well. 

Yeah, I think the results in the CL will tell you a bit about how good Italian teams (and defenders) are at the moment. No doubt Lukaku can be impactful in games here and there, but to suggest he would tear PL defences apart seems far-fetched given his scoring record in the CL and against big teams.

We'll see if and when Haaland comes to your shores, but I suspect his career will take a similar turn to Lukaku's

1 minute ago, lebron said:

Yeah, I think the results in the CL will tell you a bit about how good Italian teams (and defenders) are at the moment. No doubt Lukaku can be impactful in games here and there, but to suggest he would tear PL defences apart seems far-fetched given his scoring record in the CL and against big teams.

We'll see if and when Haaland comes to your shores, but I suspect his career will take a similar turn to Lukaku's

You haven't watched him play much in the last few years, have you? Be honest. 

Samplesizesma re the CL results. It's the same every year, whoever has a couple of teams in the latter stages must have the best league, then it changes next season, then the next. All complete fucking nonsense. No-one looks at the Europa League, and no-one could possibly compare the rest of the league. All over a dozen or two games that can be decided by one shit referee's decision.

We aren't signing Haaland or Mbappe so I'm not all that arsed really. I take your point re his limitations, but he's scored 20 in 14 or whatever it is in the CL and he's not even shaving yet, he's clearly fucking good. 

I think he transforms a team a lot more than Mbappe does.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Normally it would be welcome for a small squad to get a little breather but our injuries are so fucked that it will not make any difference.

I wonder how many fresh injuries we can accumulate in training and from that international shite.